S2:12

Fifty Shades of Pink Season 2
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I don’t know how I got home but I managed to, somehow. And now, as I stand in the bathroom, staring at my reflection, I am amazed at how calm I am. There’s no flipping out, no tantrums, no punching of pillows; none of the usual things I do when I am stressed or upset. Does this mean I’m not affected by the ‘secret’ Yuri told me? I doubt that. It must be shock so deep that my mind has yet to register it and therefore, yet to panic over.

Yoona. Who would have thought. Ms Pink might be a three-centuries-old princess vampire but I am only human. How am I supposed to handle this knowledge? How am I supposed to react to this? I’ve been giving my blood to this woman. 10cc each time. 10cc of my blood going to the bloodline of Yoohuan. I don’t know how I should feel about it. Do I sound petty now? Maybe. But I don’t care. I’m not happy about it and I have every reason to feel this way.

My room is my hiding place for the rest of the day. I don’t even go out when Sunny comes home. It’s like some kind of dark cloak has fallen over me, wiping out all the light in my world. Plainly speaking, it’s a really, really y feeling and I hate it. I try to distract myself. I have games on my phone that I haven’t played since meeting Ms Pink. I have my sketchbook for drawing and colouring. I have the bed that I’m lying on. And music on speakers. But no matter what I do, the discomfort just doesn’t go away.

X

A strange draft has entered my room. It’s swirling around me. A presence. Wrapping around me. Stopping me from breathing. It pulls me. I know it is here in my room but I can’t open my eyes. I’m stuck in my sleep. There’s no way out of this lucid dream. Only, I know it’s not a dream. I try to grab at something. The sheets, my pillow, anything, but I’m dragged away just the same. Screaming. In my head.

X

“You can open your eyes now.”

The voice is deep and strangely familiar, growling like a dangerous beast. But the gentle tone belies the frightening sound so I remain impressively calm as I bid my eyes to open. The sky opens to me, and I am dazzled by the shimmering light of a million stars in the azure sea high up above.

“Wow . . .”

“The sky has charmed you, I see.”

Sitting up, I look away from the breath-taking sight to meet my captor. “G-Gerant?” The same angry-red horns, mess of brown curly fur and steely black eyes as big as cannon balls are illuminated by the moon and stars. He, should I say, is intimidating to say the least. But a gut feeling tells me I am not in danger. “Why are you here? Where am I?”

“You’re in the Dark Thicket.”

“The Dark Thicket? Are we still in Shaw?”

“Yes, we are.”

“But—”

“Shaw is bigger than you realize. We are in a part of Shaw that people don’t venture into. It is for us, beasts of the superworld.”

“Why did you bring me here if it isn’t for humans?”

“When I first saw you with Her Highness, I knew you possess something special. Something that makes you stand out from a crowd of a billion. You have a charm, quiet and unassuming but the power within you does not escape my senses.”

“How . . .”

“I am a creature of two millenniums. I have had time to sharpen my senses so nothing escapes me.”

“Which means you knew?”

Gerant nods slowly, his great red horns tilting against the deep blue sky, great black orbs reflecting me in them.

“Did you tell anyone?”

“No, I did not.”

“Why not?”

“It is not my business.”

“But I am here now. You brought me here.”

“The political landscape has changed. It is beginning to affect the beasts of the Dark.”

“I don’t know how I can help you though. I’m quite useless. I’ve brought nothing but trouble for Ms Pink.”

“You are going to be a formidable force in time. It will come to you eventually.”

“You might have to wait a long time.” A cool breeze sweeps by, making me shiver. “I’m nowhere near the state you’re talking about.”

“Did you feel that?”

I stare into Gerant’s giant black orbs. “Feel the breeze?”

“That was not a breeze.”

Spooked to the core of my bones, I look around, expecting to see a ghost or something creepy that will give me endless nightmares. Nothing. There’s nothing.

“That was energy.” Gerant grunts and shifts a mammoth of a hoof. I watch as he rises with surprising agility, making moving that mountain of a body look effortless. He towers over me, a tiny mite of a human, standing tall like a heap of five or six elephants combined. “Her Highness has been training you, attuning you to the movement of energy, widening the range of your senses. But it is not enough.”

“Does she know you took me here?”

“She does not. I sent my captes to bring you here.”

“Your captes?” I am confused now. Does that mean— “Wait. The captes at my window. Those belong to you?”

“I did not sent captes to your window. That must have been arranged by Her Highness to protect you.”

“Well, they didn’t protect me from you.”

Gerant chuckles, which technically sounds more like a thunderstorm rolling across the sky and it gives me a rude shock. “With all due respect, Her Highness does not know them better than I do. All captes are summoned from this thicket by me. So naturally, the captes at your window would join mine when they appear. But they are most effective against everything else—everyone else.”

My eyes narrow into shrewd slits as I evaluate Gerant’s words. “Ms Pink trusts you.”

“Not so much trust, as understand. Her Highness understands that I have no wish to join in the trivialities of that world, that I would not aid or sabotage any side involved.”

“But you’re kind of helping me right now, aren’t you?”

Gerant chuckles again. It isn’t as shocking as the first time but I would rather not hear it again. “I am not helping you. I am helping myself. And the beasts in this thicket.”

“In doing so, aren’t you getting involved?”

“My, my, you do have many questions, don’t you?”

“Ms Pink has commented on it too. She . . . didn’t use to have much patience for my questions.”

“That sounds like Her Highness. Always passionate. Always eager. Her impatience is a product of them. But to answer your question, what I am doing right now is neutral to the situation.”

“What are you doing right now?”

“Introducing you to the beasts of the Dark Thicket.”

Upon Gerant’s words, eyes light up in the trees and bushes surrounding us. I turn around on my feet, looking into the darkness as more and more pairs of eyes, some yellow, some green, appear. At first, all they do is blink and stare. Then, after a long tense moment in which I keep perfectly still, hardly daring to breathe, they begin to step out from the shadows in droves. To my utter horror, these are the very beasts that have pursued and hunted me previously and I find myself shrinking back, hiding behind Gerant’s mighty hooves.

“Do not be afraid. They will not harm you.”

“I—I don’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter