Gun & Gag

The Hands Of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1. Gun & Gag.

Taeyeon yawns, covering with one hand while using the other to lift the crime scene tape so she can pass under the yellow band. A guarding officer nods at her and she nods back. Her long strides in the comfy faux-leather boots bring her into the crime scene. The distinct odor of blood hits her nose in an instance.

“Two gunshot wounds, to the chest and to the head.” Kwangsoo, the medical examiner doesn't even look up at Taeyeon as he continues examining the dead body tied to the chair. “Liver temp says he's only been death for less than 24 hours.”

“Tsk. You can at least greet the lady first, Kwangsoo-hyung. She drove all the way here just to see you.” Bambam grins from his spot on the floor. The fellow detective lifts a bottled water with his gloved hands. “Another mysterious water bottle, noona. I'm sorry.”

Taeyeon sighs, running her hand through her long black hair. It's easy to recognize the green bottle as the same they have found on another crime scene last week.

“I take the victim was also left in thirst and hunger for approximately three days before the killer put bullets in him?” Taeyeon leans closer to inspect the victim's condition, trying to copy every detail to her tired mind.

“That will need further examination on the lab.” Kwangsoo and his assistant slowly untie the body and hand the rope to the officer who's responsible of handling evidences.

“Do you find any ID? How old is this guy?” She switches her focus to Bambam.

“Jung Yohan. 37. A technician at local mall.”

“Twelve years difference from the first victim.” She turns on her heels, scanning the room for more leads. The many portraits stuck on the mini-fridge make her feel elated a little.

“But this one has girlfriend." Taeyeon bends to check one particular portrait. "I'll go deliver the news to the girl and see if we can get some information.”

“It's already late at night, Noona.” Bambam stands up, tugging Taeyeon's hand before she even has a chance to reach the mini-fridge. “ Why don't you go back home and take some rest? I'll wrap it up here and comb through the details with you tomorrow. You just came back from investigating the homicide in Daejeon, it must be tiring.”

“I can't. This is important. With the case in Daejeon, we have three body-count, Bambam. Three!”

“I know. But there's no use of investigating with a clouded mind anyway. Go sleep so you can look into this with much fresher mind tomorrow.”

“Aaargh.” Taeyeon throws her hands up in frustration, hates to admit that Bambam is right. She's sleepy, exhausted, and stressed beyond belief. Three dead bodies, each was found with a certain water bottle by their side, but she can't seem to see the connecting line between these cases.

“Do you want me to ask one of the officers to drive you home, noona?”

“No.” She shakes her head. “With three victims died under similar MO*, we should have found at least one connection, Bambam. This couldn't be random.”

“I know. We'll find the connection soon, noona. ” Bambam leads her out of the room with a hand on the small of her back. “Please go home and get some sleep. Have mercy on your panda eyes.”

“Call me immediately if something important turns up.”

“Aye aye, captain.”

The second she reaches her floor, blaring music and loud noises of people talking, screaming and laughing greet her ears.

Taeyeon exits the elevator while taking her blazer off, wondering if the disturbance comes from the same apartment as last week. She stops in front of her door for a moment, leaning backward to check on the door where the uproar emanates from, before sighing in exasperation. She puts her key in, thinking that this isn't the right night to provoke a neighbor.

“I'm so gonna kill that new guy!” Taeyeon yells over the noise as she enters the kitchen area of the shared-apartment. The refrigerator seems so inviting now that Taeyeon is super thirsty, hungry and upset.

“Kill him! I'll hide the body!” Jiwon, Taeyeon's roommate, pouts from where she stands in front of the mirror by the bathroom door. Jiwon works night as a bartender and now is busy applying mascara to her already pretty eyes. “How is Daejeon?”

“Gloomy and will probably end up as a dead end.” Taeyeon sighs, taking a water bottle from the lowest shelf only to put it back into the fridge. She can't drink bottled water without thinking of the case now.

'You'll see through it.” Jiwon turns around and smiles at her friend. “You are the great Detective Kim Taeyeon. The Holmes of this city."

“Yeah. Say you & my mother, the only two persons in earth who believe in me.” Taking a glass from the kitchen cabinet, Taeyeon gets water from the kettle on the stove instead. She gulps the liquid in one go. Of course it's warm and not as delicious as the cold mineral water from the fridge.

“Me and your mother are the only people that matter, Kim Taeyeon.” Jiwon grins. “How do I look?”

Taeyeon stares at her twirling friend for a good second. Jiwon's sassy mini dress suits her well. “Flashy. People will notice you from ten miles away.”

“That's the point, chingu-yah. We live to be noticed by others. Wish me luck!”

“Good luck.” Taeyeon smiles. Just like Jiwon never pesters Taeyeon for details of her job, Taeyeon also never let her curiosity on Jiwon's job goes out of control. Out there, she's Kim Taeyeon the detective and Jiwon is the hard-working bartender. In this apartment, they're roommates turn best friend, that's all and that's that.

“Don't forget to kill the noisy brat!” Jiwon uses her hand as a make-shift pistol and points her index finger to her own head. “Use your gun and bang! Restore tranquility in this apartment and our lame landlady will kiss your feet for it.”

“Like I want her anywhere near my feet.” Taeyeon pouts, walking to her room. “Don't forget to buy milk and bread on your way back. Also light bulb to change the one in your bedroom!”

“Okay! Try not to shoot the man on the face though! He's quite handsome for a party animal.”

Taeyeon just sighs, locking her badge and service weapon in the drawer by the bed before taking off the rest of her clothes. She slips underneath the blanket with nothin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter