o26

Prometheus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Did you crash your bike into a stationary bus too?” I asked, and Jongin looked at his bandaged arm sheepishly.

 

“It wasn’t that sort of injury,” he replied.

 

“Oh? What happened, then? Was it dumber?”

 

“It was an accident,” he said quickly, and then, even quicker, added, “I don’t think anything can be dumber than crashing a bike into a stationary bus.”

 

 

Chapter 26

 

 

 

I spent the good part of the next hour pacing the living room nervously.

 

Part of me desperately wanted to run back out to see how they were holding up — after everything, I could be at least some sort of help, but the other part of me stayed in the living room. Kai brought me back for a reason. If I went there, I’d probably be more of a liability than any sort of help, and that was the last thing they needed. Still, to not do anything and just wait made me feel terrible. When would I ever be treated like a real Athanatoi? Would that day ever come? Until the Darkling was confirmed dead, he’d be after me and would that mean I never could fight properly?

 

What’s the point of this? I wondered. What does he want with me? I can’t even fight properly. What’s so special about me? My gold aura may be sparkly and cool but I can’t even do anything with it. At the rate this is going, I’ll never find out where my power specializes. Just like Kai, except he can actually track and fight.

 

Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Jongdae, Sehun, Minseok and Suho were summoners. Tao, Luhan, Eunhae and Kris (or Yifan – I barely saw him and I still wasn’t sure if he went by his English name or his Chinese) were Spellcasters. Yixing was a healer. Kai had no idea what he was, but he was a good tracker and an even better fighter.

 

I couldn’t see myself in any of the categories. I’d be forever “Miss Gold Aura” according to Jimin (and it would never be a Mrs. because I’d probably end up forever alone). I’d have a rare and apparently powerful aura but in reality it wouldn’t actually be rare and powerful. It sounded great. I still had no idea how I’d ended up with powers and Jinyoung didn’t, or who my mom was. Maybe I was half Athanatoi or something. I had deflective powers because of that.

 

I spent so much time wallowing in self pity that I didn’t hear the footsteps until the front door slammed open with Jongdae in the lead.

 

He was breathing hard, and there was blood mixed with the gold dust smudged on his cheeks. He scanned the living room until they landed on me.

 

“Mira,” he said through gasps. “Go to the infirmary and start preparing clean bandages and stuff. Yoongi and Yixing will join you soon, but they’re going need an extra hand and you’re the only one who won’t be too busy.”

 

I stared at him in horror. “It was that bad?”

 

“There aren’t too many major injuries,” Jongdae replied, and at the same time, clutched at his side and winced. “But there are a lot of minor ones and Yoongi and Yixing aren’t going to be enough to heal all of them so we’ll bandage the ones that aren’t too severe. Hurry.”

 

His words snapped something and I was running off towards the infirmary, head whirling. Who had been hurt? Baekhyun? Kyungsoo? Luhan? Kai?

 

All this because I wanted ramen with my brother? I wanted to smack the Darkling in the face.

 

I burst into the infirmary, though I was the only one there. I could hear people upstairs, the footsteps scarily clear with my enhanced senses on.

 

I’d been in the infirmary twice — once when Yunseo stabbed me in the leg (which was something I’d rather not think about) and once when I’d accidentally hurt myself when I was training with Kai. That hadn’t been as severe as Yunseo, and I was conscious enough that time to look where Yixing normally kept everything. The bandages were in one of the drawers, and in another one, he kept clean washcloths. Bowls were in another one.

 

After scrubbing my hands clean with soap, I filled the bowls with water and dropped cloths in them. Just as I finished folding the bandages, the door of the infirmary burst open.

 

I almost gagged at the scent of blood, but what really made me nauseous was the person that Yixing was carrying.

 

“Baekhyun,” I managed, horrified at the condition he was in.

 

Baekhyun was the most talkative out of them, and perhaps, apart from Kai, the one I was second closest too. He was always joking around, and though it was slightly annoying at times, he was still the moodmaker out of all of us and we needed someone like him.

 

And now, Yixing was carrying him inside the infirmary covered with blood, unconscious, and badly injured, I wasn’t even sure what to do.

 

“What happened to him?” I demanded.

 

Yixing gave a helpless shrug. “I don’t know what happened exactly, but it was pretty bad. A lot of blood loss.” He lay Baekhyun down on one of the beds, and immediately, the white sheet began to stain red. I flinched at the sight.

 

“Why didn’t you heal him before?”

 

“There’s spells here.” He began pulling off the sweatshirt Baekhyun had on, the grey color dyed by blood. “It enhances my powers so it’ll take less of my energy to heal a wound, and there’s so many people injured from that that I can’t afford to heal a major wound outside of this room. Luhan already stopped some of the blood flow before we brought him back.”

 

I stared at Baekhyun’s limp figure. “Will he… be okay?”

 

At the same time, someone else ran inside. I barely managed to catch a glimpse of their face, but from the braids plaited down her back and her tall figure, I could conclude it was Eunhae (though it had been a decently long time since I last saw her). She looked like she was on the verge of panicking when she scanned the room.

 

“Where’s Yoongi?” she demanded.

 

“Still coming,” Yixing replied tersely, and then he looked at me. “Can you get a wet cloth ready? I’m going to heal the major wounds, but there are a couple scrapes that you’ll have to wash up and bandage. I can’t stay with him the whole time because there’ll be more people to heal.”

 

I nodded, carrying one of bowls toward them. Yixing had managed to take off most of Baekhyun’s clothing and they lay in a bloodied pile on the ground. I couldn’t even bear to look at his chest for much long. The wound — it had looked bad through his ripped clothing – was so much worse up close. There was the faint shimmer of purple around it — Luhan had probably cast some sort of spell to stop the blood flow as Yixing said – but the gash was so nasty that I turned to looking at my feet instead as Yixing placed his hands over Baekhyun’s torso.

 

I came to the conclusion then and there that I was definitely not a healer.

 

By the time Yixing had healed the wound, I moved over to clean the smaller ones. People were beginning to pile in then, and it didn’t take long for the most of the beds to fill up with people. Some weren’t extremely bad, some wounds required actual heal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter