o25

Prometheus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Th-thanks.”

 

Jongin handed me a hot chocolate, frowning in my direction. “You need to be more careful. That was really dangerous. You could’ve been seriously injured or dead, you know?”

 

I shuddered, the flashing headlights and the honking of the horn still echoing through my head. “That was terrifying.”

 

The waitress passed him his hot chocolate too. He blew out it before setting it down on the table in front of him. “You need to get it together.”

 

It should’ve been a hurtful phrase, but there was something about the way he said it that didn’t make it… that bad. Like he genuinely cared or something.

 

But it was Jongin and I could never tell with him, so all I did was nod in response.

 

 

Chapter 25

 

 

 

 

I nearly cried out of relief when I saw Kai.

 

I probably would’ve cried anyways if he didn’t come because I was facing this Darkling-possessed golem without a weapon (except instant noodle packages) of some sort, and that in itself was tears-inspiring, but tears of relief were always better. Aura blazing, he took a step forward, muttering something along the lines of “get back”.

 

“That’s the Darkling,” I began cautiously, but instead of replying, Kai tossed something back. I barely managed to catch it.

 

“I don’t care who that is,” he said in a tight voice. “If he tries to attack you, use your blade. And I think you should start carrying it around with you everywhere now. I don’t recommend going outside before Luhan gets here and puts glamour on. It’s chaotic out there because I think your brother called the police. It’s going to take Eunhae to cover this too.”

 

His voice was quick, and he didn’t pause much. A moment later, Kai had his attention turned solely to the Darkling/golem, and I took the moment the draw my shortsword.

 

It was the same as usual -- the familiar, worn letter, fitting in my hand and my grip, the shiny surface. If I had had his with me, would the outcome of today have been different? The ominous way that Kai had said it -- what exactly was happening for me to need to have my weapon with me at all times? And apart from that, how would Jinyoung react to the whole situation? He’d seen it all now. Me, his sister that couldn’t run a lap around the field without dying, kicking someone in the face like some martial arts specialist. If Luhan glamoured this, I wasn’t sure if I could ever get past the guilt.

 

“You’re a coward,” I heard him say coldly, and my thoughts went from Jinyoung to Kai and the Darkling.

 

The golem regarded him with expressionless eyes. “You’re not too late this time, Kim Jongin,” he said.

 

Kai’s jaw tightened, knuckles whitening around his blade, something that he did when he was mad. I glanced at the golem again. You’re not late this time? What had he meant by that? This time? What was the last time? With Yunseo? But Kai couldn’t possibly be so mad about that, could he?

 

Whatever it was, he took a step towards the golem, looking very much menacing. I would’ve fled if I had been the Darkling. Kai wasn’t even targeting me and it was terrifying. “Get out of here. You’re not going to get anything from us however hard you try.”

 

“It’s getting closer each time.” Even through the scratchy, distorted voice of the golem’s, I could almost hear the Darkling behind it. “First was Yunseo. Then her family. And now this. How long can she hide behind you?”

 

“I’m not the one who’s hiding,” I snapped back, suddenly mad. “You’re hiding behind these monsters, targeting me because you don’t have the guts to show your face in Seoul, and you say I’m hiding? I was introduced to all this a few months ago. You’re like a thousand years old. You say I’m the one hiding?”

 

I could almost see the golem smiling, though his mouth didn’t move. “I don’t think you want me to show my face.”

 

Are you that ugly? I wanted to demand, but at the same moment, Kai moved with deadly speed and accuracy. All I saw was the flash of silver from his blade (or maybe it was his aura) and he’d run the dagger clean through the golem’s head.

 

There was a thunk that sounded too loud, and then someone outside screamed. I flinched, not daring to look at the golem, but when I turned back, it had already began to melt on the ground, turning into the same ash that other monsters turned into.

 

Kai stood still, dagger in hand, breathing hard and aura still bright around him. His gaze was dark, jaw still clenched, and I wasn’t sure if it was a good idea to approach him. He looked like he would run me through with his dagger too.

 

For a long while, we stood there, unmoving, before Kai finally turned around. He seemed a bit calmer than he was a moment before, but not much, and I didn’t say much either. For a while, his gaze lingered on me for a couple seconds too long, and then abruptly, he tore it away and glanced at his feet again. “Are you okay?” he asked, though he sounded distracted.

 

I gave a meek nod. “Sorry.”

 

“I don’t know what happened,” he said with a groan, running a hand through his hair. “All I heard was Jinyoung saying something about being attacked and you doing martial arts and ramen, so I suppose you went to get ramen with him?”

 

Another nod.

 

“Well…I can’t blame you. I just don’t get why the Darkling would show up in such a place with so many people. Everything else he did he did it when he was sure no one was there. But with your brother there too?” I could feel his anger rising each word. “That cowar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter