o19

Prometheus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“We’re doing a wrestling unit in PE?”

 

“Yeah. I’d ask you what’s wrong, but…”

 

“I get knocked over in dodgeball.”

 

“I’ve witnessed.”

 

“I can’t wrestle.”

 

“I’m going to have to agree with you on that one.”

 

Chapter 19

 

I did have a choice, but somehow, I decided to go with Jaeyeon into the freezing sleet with only my shortsword strapped on. It was better than having no weapon, but I still wasn’t extremely good at handling a weapon.

 

She’d plowed ahead with no problem, while I tried to ignore the fact that I was freezing and was going to end up with hypothermia. I had contemplated calling Kai, but right after the thought passed my mind, Jaeyeon had asked me not to call people unless it was necessary. I had assured her that I never had the thought to do so in the first place and casually slipped my phone back into my pocket.

 

After a while, Jaeyeon made a sharp turn into an alleyway. Confused, I followed her lead, and the both of us sat down on abandoned stone steps. The raincoat I had on wasn’t doing much to protect my legs from getting wet, and I was tired and uncomfortable. Wherever Jaemin was, I hoped I didn’t have to fight to get him, because I could barely walk by now, much less actually fight.

 

“I think you can use your aura here,” she told me, looking around in a slightly nervous manner. She seemed nervous in a jittery way, still. Her right hand didn’t stop tapping against her leg. “There’s not many people around because it’s raining, and there’s bound to be no one around here. After I track him down… if you don’t want to, you don’t need to help me. I can go look for him myself--”

 

“And you’ll be enough? I’ve gone this far. Freezing my legs off for a while longer won’t kill me.”

 

Jaeyeon shuffled her feet. “Mira, it’ll be dangerous.”

 

“Everyone’s like, oh my god, she’s the gold aura! I can’t even beat Baekhyun to getting the last piece of kimchi, but people think I’m all powerful and scary. They don’t need to know that I'm not. You can pretend you have someone super powerful on your side. I want to help you to the end, anyways.”

 

“...Yunseo.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Yunseo didn’t think you were powerful and scary.”

 

“...Yunseo can be an exception.”

 

We probably shouldn’t have stood there wasting time, but there was a span of awkward silence before Jaeyeon cleared just as awkwardly. “Well. We can try it now?”

 

“Go ahead. I don’t know how to track.”

 

“Uh… I need to borrow your aura to do so. So like, you summon your aura and we have to join auras and I can do the rest.”

 

“Join auras?”

 

She blinked at me. “Who’s teaching you Spellcasting? Have they never taught you how to join auras?”

 

I thought of the all the disastrous events that had happened while I trained with Luhan about Spellcasting (and the even more disastrous things that had happened when Baekhyun attempted to teach). He could barely teach me the basics, and Jaeyeon’s talk about joining auras sounded very sophisticated; no wonder Luhan hadn’t taught me yet. I was not ready for such sophistication. “I’ve… never.”

 

She stood there for a second. “Okay. So, it’s kind of like joining two people together for a second. Their powers are added together and they become for more powerful, and they can take power from the other person. It’s helpful in a fight when one person is overwhelmed… but if one person get’s injured, the same injury appears on the other while they’re linked together. I’ve never tried it when fighting, but I think you can do it with me to track Jaemin.”

 

“How exactly do we do this?”

 

“Just follow my lead, I guess?”

 

“Do we have to hold hands?”

 

“Not if you don’t want to.”

 

“Okay. Sorry. Nervous.”

 

Jaeyeon didn’t reply after that, though a gentle blue glow surrounded her. I willed my aura to shine, and it was still odd after all that time to see a layer of gold around my arms and legs and whole body. The colour shone around me, shimmering when it touched against Jaeyeon’s blue one. I was about to ask what was to happen next when Jaeyeon’s aura abruptly brightened.

 

The gold threaded with the blue, creating a whole different color. We were hidden from most of the public eye, but if someone were to see us… well, I didn’t know what they would think. Glowing, both of us. A normal person would probably faint in shock.

 

Ready? Her voice sounded in my head this time, and it was quite a shock. Last time something like this had happened was when Kai and Mrs. Lee broke the barrier in my mind, and that hadn’t really been a pleasant experience. Just watch.

 

Watch what? I wanted to ask, but before I could ask, the dreary alleyway in front of me disappeared.

 

I didn’t know where exactly Jaeyeon and I were standing -- or floating, for the lack of a better word -- but below us, the outline of a maze-like place stood. The place glowed a combined colour of golden and blue, whatever or wherever it was. It began to clear, looking less distorted than it had in the beginning,

 

Seoul, Jaeyeon breathed in my mind. God, it actually worked. We’re overlooking Seoul. I can’t believe this actually worked!

 

And this is going to help us find Jaemin how?

 

When she had said that people felt the other person’s emotions better when joining auras, I didn’t know it was like this. I could feel the distraught and fear radiating off Jaeyeon like they were my own emotions, yet at the same moment, not quite. They didn’t bother me like they should’ve if I were the one experiencing them, yet I felt them.

 

Can you see? She sounded excited, though I wasn’t sure if it were the only reason her voice was quivering. That mark. Jaemin. I’m tracing it through… they went past Namsam tower… and…

 

What are you even looking at? This is just a glittering mess of blue and gold.

 

It was. I could make out the faint shape of buildings, but it stretched out so widely that details were hard to find. I thought that I could make out where Namsam tower was, along with a couple of other landmarks, but the aura-version of Seoul that we were looking down on was too bright for me to see. That, and it was small, and looking down on it made me feel dizzy and confused.

 

Can’t you see that trail? It’s blueish. When I tried to track him, it was super faint, but now it’s really clear.

 

I can’t see anything.

 

Never mind, then. I can kind of tell where they’re going, so you don’t need to tell that clearly. It’s…

 

Dead silence from Jaeyeon’s side, and for a long time, she didn’t speak. Emotions clouded me; surprise, astonishment, and finally, horror. He’s leaving Seoul, she exclaimed in disbelief. The trail of blue’s stopped. They’re… just outside of Seoul. How…why…

 

Do you know where it is?

 

Exact location? Not really, but if we’re close enough, I can track him by myself. But why is he out of Seoul? I don’t understand why they would… who took him…

 

Which direction?

 

Jaeyeon explained the location, though when I looked at the direction she pointed at, there was nothing I could see but the faint outline of a building, too small to be seen clearly on the condensed map of Seoul. North east; just on the outskirts of Seoul. There was no glow of blue like she’d originally said, though she was the one who was related to him, not I.

 

Do we go there?

 

I can go alone. Jaemin can’t be helpless. He’s a Summoner too.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter