Eight.

A Chance Encounter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A Chance Encounter. Chapter Eight.

 

 

I feel remorseful. I’ve turned into this conscience-stricken villain of a fairy-tale, who turns into a good guy at the end of the story. I mean what it is up with that? I get that you don’t want kids to hate anyone at all, and you’d make them like the bad guy in the end, by giving a lame explanation about a change of heart. But, really, nobody changes overnight. And I’m not going to change too. Now would be the time my Ego, dressed with Lucifer’s horns, and my Superego, in a halo, appear out of nowhere to have a battle!

 

It’s just a bunch of flowers, I hear myself say. It’s not going to ruin anybody’s wedding. But, I’m her maid of honor - it’s my duty to comply with the bride’s requests. And if bride wants those stupid Calla lilies, I should get the stupid Calla lilies! Alright, I’ll just call the florists back, tell them I’ve made a mistake in placing the order, and get it fixed. Easy! I’ll just find some other way to get back at Bona. Now that I think of it…why do I even need to get back at her? Technically, she hasn’t done anything wrong. If Chanyeol chose her over me, I should learn to accept it, instead of being jealous and revolting against her. But you see…there’s this gnawing feeling at the back of my mind, which says something is not right. How could Chanyeol have fallen in love with her so soon? That too immediately after ending things between us. It leaves me with only one explanation, and if that’s true, I don’t know what I would do. I’d probably be insecure throughout my life.

 

I turn back to my sketchpad to work on a new villain for Momo. I need him to look hideous and evil. I’m about to begin sketching when my phone rings. Oh my God! What if it’s Bona? What if she’s already found out about the flowers? She’ll kill me! Wait…how does it matter? Why am I panicking for no reason? What’s the worst thing she could do? She’ll probably scream in her annoying, nasal voice and relegate me to a bridesmaid. Let her do whatever she wishes to.

 

I take a deep breath to calm myself down, and press my phone against my ear.

 

“Juyeon?” Oh, it’s Yixing. I didn’t even bother looking at my phone’s display before picking up the call.

 

“Hey,” I greet him. I realize I didn’t sound very cheerful with my greeting. I hope he didn’t catch that. I had been preoccupied with my thoughts about Bona and the whole wedding thing.

 

“You aren’t mad at me, are you?” he chuckles nervously. Okay, he did notice. Why would he think I was mad? He was working; it was my fault for calling him at work. Besides, it’s not like I’m his girlfriend or something.

 

“No, of course not,” I say cheerfully. “Are you done with your work?”

 

“Yeah, thankfully,” he says, sounding a little relieved. “I really don’t know how our company manages to employ such morons!” he sighs. I can imagine him leaning back on his chair, legs resting up on his table, while he fidgets with a pen in his hand. Okay, no, Yixing would probably not do that – you know, workplace ethics, etcetera, etcetera. Maybe he’s glancing out of the huge window of his office, staring at the skyline, and anyone who enters the room would have a great view of his broad back. I just noticed it this morning by the way – he’s got a lot going with his y back, toned arms and stuff. What am I even saying? My brain’s messed up with the recent turn of events. I need to reset it.

 

“Did you yell at the poor guy?” I ask Yixing. I think of the day I’d met Yixing at the convenience store, he had been really pissed at whoever he was talking to on the phone. I suppose he takes his work a bit too seriously, I sort of pity the employees that work under him. I wonder what kind of a boss he is. He’s probably one of those unforgiving ones who don’t take any of your crap, and refuse to sanction leaves. Did I mention how great my team leader is? I could go to work in sweatpants and I wouldn’t get yelled at. Anyway, I suppose big-shot financial corporations aren’t very lax with the dress-code.

 

Yixing sighs in return. “He needs to learn,” he says, as if defending his actions. “Why? You think I shouldn’t have? They can’t always depend on me to fix their mistakes!”

 

“Not everyone’s cut out for the work they do, Yixing. They’ll learn eventually.” I feel like I’m defending myself here. My first few Webtoons were a failure! I’d been unnecessarily confident because I’d graduated with fl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter