Twenty Two.

A Chance Encounter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A Chance Encounter. Chapter Twenty Two.

 

 

Dear God! I promise to visit the church on Sundays and feed the hungry children in Ethiopia! Please help me get out of this situation! Okay, fine, I’d stop making up lies just to slack off at work. I’m praying for a miracle here. Something that’d help me revert time and undo things. Perhaps, I would go back to the day I met Yixing at the convenience store and turn down his offer to get coffee with him. I mean, I wouldn’t be facing this right now if I hadn’t said yes to him. Heck, if I hadn’t stepped out of my house that day, none of this would have happened. And I’d have lived my life with no qualms. Okay, maybe that isn’t true. Meeting Yixing has been the best thing that’s happened in the past few months. However, it’s the dilemma I’m facing right now that I hate. I’m torn between carrying on as if nothing happened and telling him how apprehensive I feel about this relationship now.

 

Well…after that eventful dinner with Yixing and his ex-girlfriend, I’ve become extremely skeptical about this relationship. Jia’s managed to bring out my hidden insecurities somehow. And I absolutely hate it. It’s made my relationship with Yixing a little strained. So, I’ve been trying out this new thing – I read it in a magazine! (I need to write in that anonymous hate mail!) They always seem to publish articles I can relate to. Apparently, if you wish to find out if the guy you’re dating is really into you, you should do things that would put him off. And if he sticks around even after that, you’ve found yourself a keeper.

 

Now, I don’t always believe in subjecting the person I’m dating to such an extent of scrutiny or personal experiment. But Yixing has left me with no choice – every time I’m with him, I keep imagining him and Jia getting it on at their workplace! I’ve even got this scenario painted in my head – it mostly involves him pushing everything off his table and bending her over…I need to stop. Anyway, it’s a scarring visualization which I’m trying to get rid of. And it doesn’t help that I’ve been cheated on once. My mind counts it as a possibility that Yixing could do the same and see Jia behind my back. If Chanyeol found the urge to pick someone like Bona over me, what are the odds that Yixing wouldn’t get back with Jia, who’s a dozen times smarter and prettier than Bona? Do these guys like putting me through this emotional turmoil? I wonder if I ever offended any of them in my previous birth! Maybe I should just adopt a life of celibacy. Or not.

 

Nevertheless, I did what I had to. I followed the guidelines from that article. I began in a subtle manner, just like they’d advised. The other day for instance, when Yixing had clearly specified that he wanted me to be his date for some company dinner, I put on the shabbiest pair of jeans I had. I’m pretty sure it was very off-putting, not to mention the disapproving looks he received from his peers at the dinner table. I had expected him to say something, but he didn’t mention anything at all. It did make me feel relived, but I suspected he knew what I was trying to do. So, I made it worse – I put on some tantrums on the next date, forced him to buy me a couple of unnecessary things, ordered the most expensive champagne, compelled him to sit through a back-to-back Disney movie marathon (we watched Frozen twice) and refused to let him touch me in any manner. The idea was to get him to admit that he was annoyed with me and wanted a break of some sorts. Again, he was surprisingly obliging and didn’t complain once. I guess he really meant it when he said he’d wait patiently until I’d forgive him.

 

However, I’m not ready to give in. I need to find another deal breaker – something which would make him admit that he prefers his ex over me, because I feel he does. Every time I try to convince myself that it isn’t true and he meant all the words he said to me that day, I find myself seated on that table across Jia and Yixing – both of them whispering in each others’ ears while I glance at them like an insignificant witness. So I need to ascertain that Yixing really wants to be with me, and I’m not some temporary replacement. His words are definitely not going to be enough to convince me.

 

Right now, I’d say I’m inching a step closer to driving him crazy with my distasteful behavior since the past week. And I’m expecting him to break it off very soon, which is why I don’t want to be in this situation! Coming back to that, Yixing is seated on one of the couches in our living room. And Mum’s seated right across him, scrutinizing him as if she’s an X-ray machine scanning for a tumor! How did I even end up in this situation? Oh that’s right! Yixing thought it would be a wonderful idea to surprise me by paying a visit, late in the evening! Couldn’t he call me first? The worst part is that he seems oddly calm about it. I’m pretty sure he has no idea what’s coming.

 

“So, how long have you been in a relationship with my daughter?” Oh boy, there she goes. I’m going to leave this to Yixing completely because I have no idea if we’re even in a relationship! And even if we were, I’ve been doing nothing but trying to sabotage it from the past one week. In a way, it’s a good thing Mum’s here – perhaps, she would ask him things I’ve been dying to ask myself.

 

Yixing clears his throat slightly. “I met her a few weeks ago.”

 

Okay, so he’s cleverly dodged the bit about the relationship, just like he failed to bring it up on all the dates we’ve been on. Something here tells me he doesn’t really want to commit to any relationship. I would have been fine with that. But if that means he could casually hang out with his gorgeous ex-girlfriend and rub it in my face, then no thanks! I did not sign up for that.  

 

Anyway, like I said, the whole incident has made me seemingly conscious and skeptical. I’ve refrained from letting him get too comfortable. The other day, when he tried to hold my hand, I quickly shoved them in jean pocket. But then again, they make those ridiculously shallow pockets for women’s jeans that you can’t even slip your hands in it! Whatever, that’s not the point. I feel like I should take a precautionary measure here and keep myself from getting hurt. So, I’ve thought of starting over with him – which means if he gets too close, I might attack with him pepper spray!

 

I suppose Yixing has noticed how I’ve been acting weird. I’m pretty sure I’ve made it very obvious. A part of me, wants him to feel rueful. It’s what he gets for making me feel like a miserable idiot. I need him to know that I’m not as easy-going as he thinks I am! And that he can’t simply go around getting cozy with his ex-girlfriend in front of me.

 

Mum hums in an unimpressed tone as she looks at him intently. I know that look. It’s the I-will-interrogate-you-until-I-can-ascertain-you’re-not-a-psychotic-serial-killer-and-are-a-suitable-match-for-my-daughter look. Believe me… you wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of that look. Surprisingly, she’d been quite impressed with Chanyeol when I’d introduced him to her. I wish she hadn’t been. At least, that would have stopped me from dating him. Okay, maybe not, when I’m told not to do something, I do it all the more. Isn’t everybody that way?

 

“What do you do for a living?” Mum asks him as she reaches out for her cup of tea.

 

“I’m a chief financial officer at an Investment Corporation,” he answers confidently, reaching over to retrieve his own cup of tea. For some reason, every time Mum wishes to have a serious conversation, she brews a cup of tea for everyone. I should have realized something was wrong when I’d seen Dad and her sitting in the livi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter