One.

A Chance Encounter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A Chance Encounter. Chapter One.

 

 

 

Throughout my life, I’ve been misled. First, by my parents who always acted like they were in a loving relationship. And then by the fictional romance novels which have been my guilty-pleasure at reading. So here I am, witnessing my father sign the divorce papers, while mom has a smug look on her face. Why wouldn’t she? She’s made quite a lot of money from the alimony. My father’s mistress, who’s probably, only a few years older than me, glances at my mother surreptitiously.

 

Let’s just say it had been quite a shock to all of us – me, my mother and my aunt, who’s going to be living with us from now on, when my father owned up to having cheated, and having another woman. It wasn’t because my father was a loyal man who’d always loved his wife like I had assumed, but because my father was a balding old man with a beer belly. It makes you think, doesn’t it? For starters, I don’t know what that other woman saw in him. My father isn’t exactly wealthy, he inherited a couple of bucks recently from his great uncle’s death, but I’m certain that’s being spent in the alimony. He quit his job five years back; he gets a negligible amount of money from his shares per month, and whiles away the rest of his time either fishing or napping. I really don’t understand what that other woman wants out of this relationship. I suppose it leaves me with only one explanation – they must be in love. The mere thought of it makes me want to gag. I don’t wish to insult my father, but she could do a lot better.

 

Somehow, I feel my mother got the better end of the deal – she gets to keep the house, she’d receive a hefty sum of money, and now she can do anything she wishes to, which she couldn’t earlier because my father’s quite the stubborn child who needs to be taken care of all the time. It left mom with no time for herself. I know she’d be out celebrating today, once the divorce is finalized. While I, on the other hand, will probably pick up another copy of Mills & Boon’s and dream about my perfect romance. Typical, you’d presume. You probably think I’m some ignorant girl who lives in her own imaginary world where princes and fairy-tales exist (how I wish they did!) Although that would be a dream come true, I’m not completely delusional! I know most of the scenarios painted by these fiction writers would rarely occur in real life. Or perhaps, if you were really, really lucky, and beautiful like my cousin Bona, you’d have a couple of guys, who look like Adonis, chasing after you. She’s always been lucky, my cousin – she has the perfect family, with a loving parent, a loving brother, a wonderful boyfriend, and a childhood friend who might be in love with her. In short, she has everything a protagonist from a romance novel has, sans the drama.

 

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t envy her. Because I did, I was jealous – of her, her perfect life, her clique of friends, her striking features and all of that. It wasn’t like my own life was bad, it was just…average. Nothing exceptional. Her parents were proud of everything she did, while mine…I’m pretty sure they weren’t even aware of what I did for a living. I’d overheard my Mum one of these days; she was catching up with a snooty acquaintance of hers, who seemed rather interested in my life. She’d been asking of my welfare, and what I’d been up to, although I’m certain the only thing she wanted to know was if I had someone significant in my life – someone worth marrying. Mum had simply shrugged her off saying, “Ah, I don’t know. She does what she does. She’s started working now, at this company, something to do with them cartoons.”

 

Webtoons! I wanted to shout from my room. Also, I graduated from the top of my class in Graphic Designing. Sure, it isn’t anything esteemed like becoming a doctor or a lawyer, but I like my job. It was the only thing I’d ever been interested in. I remember talking to my parents about taking up the course after high school, and my father had only managed to notice the stark difference in the course fee of Designing and a Medical field and immediately said, “Sure, why not? It’s a great choice!” Of course, he’d think it was a great choice; he’d save thousands worth of money that way. Anyway, that’s how I ended up here, and it isn’t so bad. I mean, we’re allowed to do whatever we wish to at the company, it apparently helps build up creativity according to our team leader, and I’m not one to protest. I’ve made valuable use of that time to slack off work, and shop online.

 

So, coming back to the conversation, the snooty lady had simply hummed and then asked, “What about marriage? Has she got a boyfriend? Correct me if I’m wrong, but she turns twenty-four this year, I believe.” I wanted to whack her on the head with a golf club. Stupid woman! Why couldn’t she worry about her own spinster daughter? As if she’d heard my thoughts, she continued, “My daughter just got engaged. I came here to tell you that!”

 

And my Mum had been flustered with the entire conversation. She’d sent the lady off hurriedly and rushed into my room immediately. “Do you think your father and I should set you up with someone? Bona’s getting married too,” she had said. I knew what she’d been thinking – her daughter wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter