four

5 Steps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Step Three: Give him a bit of a chase sometimes, flirt a little, but just enough to leave him wanting more.

 

For the next week after Kibum’s rant and the small talk with Wonshik in his dorm room, Taemin decided to gradually distance himself from Jongin.

It started with him rejecting Jongin’s offers to work out, then it went to turning down his offers to go to the lounge to hang out, and now Taemin was currently trying to think of an excuse to avoid going to Taco Tuesday with him again. He was able to avoid it the week before by saying Professor Kwon needed to speak with him about his paper, and even though Jongin seemed bummed about it, Taemin didn’t want to jump to conclusions.

Before he had the chance to try and call Wonshik to help him get out of it, there was a knock on his door and Taemin knew it was Jongin. With a grimace he opened the door, “H-hey, Jongin. What are you doing here?”

Jongin gave him a confused look, “I’m here to pick you up so we can walk to the cafe, Taco Tuesday, remember?” A frown appeared when he watched Taemin scratch the back of his neck awkwardly, “You only do that when something is wrong, come on Taem, again? Seriously, you bailed on me last week. Not to mention I lost my spotter for the bench press, and we haven’t even had the chance to play on the new air hockey table they put in the lounge.”

He went on while Taemin stayed quiet, “I haven’t even told you about Kyungsoo and I’s date to the aquarium this past weekend.”

At the mention of Kyungsoo’s name, Taemin knew he was making the right choice. “I’m sorry, I had other plans today.”

“And those plans are more important than Taco Tuesday with me?”

Taemin smiled weakly, reaching out and putting his finger under his best friend’s chin. “Nothing is more important than you, you know that.”

Jongin softened slightly then put his pinky out, “Promise me we’ll have some time together this week at least?”

Taemin hesitated for a split second before he attached his pinky with Jongin’s, “I promise.”

The younger male broke out into a grin and pulled him into a hug.

“Okay, get out of here before I start to cave into you and your good looks.”

 

-

 

Taemin didn’t break his promise, no matter how many times Wonshik kept telling him that it was a mistake (“I swear, Lee Taemin, you say you’re getting over him but you’re whipped.”). He ended up going to hang out with Jongin in the lounge the following day so they could finally play on the new air hockey table.

Unfortunately, Taemin had to suffer through listening to hearing about his date with Kyungsoo.

“Give him a chase? Flirt? Please, you can’t flirt to save your life.” Taemin commented with a scoff as he hit the puck into Jongin’s goal with a smug grin.

Jongin rolled his eyes with a loud laugh, “This is coming from you, king of the socially awkward?”

“I was only like that in high school, do you see how many friends I have now? You have to give me some sort of credit.”

“Making friends is completely different from flirting, Taem.” Jongin retorted as he tried to aim for Taemin’s goal but failed.

Taemin waved his free hand in the air as if he was brushing away something, “You’ve never seen me at my prime, Jongin.”

The buzzer at the top of the air hockey table rang and Taemin did a little celebration dance when he won ten to six. Jongin came around from the opposite side and hit his shoulder, “I’ll admit it, you actually did pretty good if you beat me.”

“Don’t try to cover up how hurt you feel that you lost by acting cocky,” Taemin sing songed, strolling out of the lounge with Jongin quickly following behind him.

Jongin questionably looked at his best friend, wondering why he’s been so playful all of a sudden. He stretched his arm out to try and put it around Taemin, but instead Taemin side stepped away from him and went out the door. Jongin followed again like a lost child and realized he was heading towards the smoothie shop.

When he caught up to Taemin again, Jongin nudged him. “What’s with you today? You seem...a bit more lively than usual,” He quickly added, “Not that it’s a bad thing, it’s nice seeing you be a bit more open.”

Taemin smiled, pushing back the feeling of butterflies building up in the pit of his stomach. “Well, I’m just a bit happier that’s all.”

Jongin mirrored Taemin’s smile, deciding to joke around, “Is it because we’re finally hanging out?”

“Don’t flatter yourself,” Taemin winked teasingly as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter