ᴘʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ | adult child

Identify Me (ON TEMPORARY HOLD UNTIL "THE OUTCAST CLUB" IS FINISHED)
 
Kim Taehyung was ordinary. Well, at least, he seemed to think so.
 
For others his age, happiness consisted of early morning cartoons, a fresh meal, a hug goodbye from a mother, a rough pat on the head from a father, or a slew of closely-knit friends.
 
But rather than joining them, Taehyung's life consisted of watching those same kids from a distance.
 
His life was full of late night wishes at 11:11 pm, earnestly hoping that he wouldn't get caught when he snuck out to run down the streets like a madman in the dead of night. It was reckless decisions and deluded beliefs that he could actually get away with leaving for good.
 
Taehyung was failed fleeing attempts, ending horribly with policemen handing him  to the orphanage’s Director. Soon, he'd be keeling over in the punishment room, body aching with fresh wounds as the Director locked the young boy into the dark abyss of the cellar.
 
But Taehyung didn't feel sad all the time. On the contrary, he had his fair share of happy moments, too.
 
For example, he would be absolutely filled with elation while sitting in his room, plush nose pressed against the cold glass of the cracked window beside his mattress, watching the first snowfall that beckoned winter season. He was content when the nights were silent, free from the chilling screams of children being punished just down the hall. 
 
But what gave Taehyung the highest sense of comfort was the thought of his parents, whom he never had known, but often dreamed of. It was in the small glimmer of hope that they would be back for him.
 
As old calendars seemed to pile up in heaps with each passing year, happiness soon became the foolish thought that just maybe, at the very least, they weren’t dead.
 
Maybe Taehyung never knew what being an 'ordinary kid' meant in the first place.
 
Maybe he never would.
 
 

Go Harin knew for a fact that she was anything but ordinary. 

 
For kids her age, being a child meant seeing your parents every day, walking home from school hand-in-hand and play-fighting with your siblings. It meant sneaking out at night with your friends just for the thrill of it, only to get a stern lecture and a comforting hug at the end of it all.
 
But although Harin had parents that were very much alive, she didn’t get to see them every day, walk home from school together, or eat home-cooked meals. And although she snuck out often, she didn’t receive stern lectures. She certainly did not receive any hugs, because frankly, no one cared. She did what she wanted, and sometimes, the freedom to do whatever she pleased burdened her.
 
Harin’s happiness consisted of her friends, and only her friends. Sometimes even her friends annoyed her.
 
In her opinion, going to school was more of a distraction rather than a duty. Plus, she was past the point where she blindly believed that her parents loved her. After all, they didn't love her; they loved Rose.
 
One day in the far future, when she could finally break free from the confines of her parents, she would settle herself down in a small, cozy home to call her own. Then everything would be just right.
 
Until then, she would continue to attend luxurious events against her will and lie about her identity with a charming smile. She would have no choice but to hate her reflection, only to see her face staring back at her.
 
Because Harin was Rose, and Rose was Harin. She was fake, with nobody to rely on. After all - nobody sane enough would ever come to love an imitation.
 
Long ago, Harin had once known what being ordinary meant.
 
Unfortunately though, she would probably never come to know that feeling again.
 
 
MUZIKMASTER SAYS-------------------
hope you all enjoyed the first chapter/prologue thingy (yes, even authors call things 'thingys,' or at least i do).
this was a special treat and teaser especially for my 6th writing anniversary (today, feb. 24, 2016 woohoo), and a glimpse of what's to come, so i'd be overjoyed if you enjoyed and stay tuned until i start regularly updating :)
so as you know i'm a bit indecisive about the title, so i set up a small poll asking for your opinion about the best suitable title. just curious to see which one you all prefer (note that the title with the most votes won't be the title for sure, as i'll be deciding the final title).

 
if any of you have a cooler title you can come up with after reading the prologue thus far, i'd love to hear what you creative people think! drop it down as a comment below! ;)
until next time! :)