Chapter 3 - Because You and I have nothing to lose, right?

The Sun and the Moon

The next day, Rina went to a cafe to meet the secretary of the politician who requested the job. When she reached, she saw the secretary already sitting there waiting for her. Rina sat down at her table.

 

“Here’s the money as promised.” The secretary handed over a thick envelop.

“Thanks! Let me know if you need our services again.” Rina needs to keep more customers by her side, to prevent her from starving to death. “Do you mind to pay for my meal today too?” Because three onigiri in four days is just not enough…

“Sure, order whatever you want, I’ll already asked the waiter to settle the bill with my card. I’ll take my leave then.”

“Thank you! I hope your boss is happy with our service!”

“Bye.” The secretary left, and Rina continued with her ordering of food. She can finally eat whatever she wants!!

 

As Rina is happily enjoying her food, she sensed someone looking non-stop at her. She turned towards the direction to check who is looking at her. Suddenly Semi appeared right in front of her, “Yo!” Semi’s face was only 10 centimeters away from hers.

“WOWWW!” Rina got a big shock and almost fall back on her chair.  “Semi! Don’t scare me like that!”

“I have been sitting here as long as you have, just that you have been too engrossed in your food and didn't notice me.”

“What?!?! Did you follow me?” Rina didn't sound too pleased.

“I’m not that free, I just happen to come here for lunch.”

“Ya right, that sounds just like another lame excuse.”

That's right, Semi did follow her from her apartment this morning. He was afraid that she might faint from hunger. He was supposed to be a ruthless killer, he shouldn't be doing something like this, but somehow he couldn't control himself caring for her.

“Can you seriously finish that much food? Share some with me then.” Semi was trying to avoid the topic.

“Of course I can finish, but I guess I can share with you, since you are my saviour. Hehe” Rina with her usual smile again.

“Alright!” Semi sat down and started eating. It has been so long since he had a meal with someone.  He felt warm coming from Rina again, it was just like the sun shining on the moon, lighting it up and giving it warm.

“Ohh this is nice! Try this!” Rina scooped some food from her plate and put it in Semi’s plate. Semi ate it without thinking too much.

“Oh ya, come back with me to my apartment later, I’ll pass you the money. hehe”

After happily finishing their food, Rina and Semi went back to Rina’s apartment together.

 

Semi wasn’t feeling well on the way back to the apartment, upon entering Rina’s apartment, he lost his balance and bang onto the table.

“Semi!!!” Rina got a shock seeing Semi like this. She held Semi by his shoulders, “what happened?? Are you alright???” Rina was really worried.

“Ahh, is there crab in the food you scooped for me just now?” Semi has allergy towards crab.

“OH, I THINK THERE IS…” Rina recalled what she ordered, crab meat salad. “YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO CRAB?!?!?!”

“Yes…” Semi sounded really weak and red rashes appeared all over him.

“I’ll go get you medicine while you go lie on my bed first.” Rina helped Semi to her bed and laid him down before rushing to the nearest pharmacy to get medicine for Semi.

Rina ran at her fullest speed to the pharmacy, explained the situation, got the medicine, and ran back again to her apartment. When she got back, she rushed to her kitchen to get a cup of water, before going into her bedroom.

“Semi!! Come! Have this medicine!” She helped Semi get up, and started feeding him the medicine.

Ten minutes after Semi had his medicine, he look much better, although some of the red rashes still remains.

“Are you feeling better??” Rina looked really worried.

“Yes..”

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t know you were allergic to crabs…” Rina felt really guilty, and by now her eyes were teary.

“Are you stupid, how are you supposed to know that?” Semi didn’t want Rina to feel she’s in the wrong.

“But I was the one who asked you to eat that…” Tears dropped from Rina’s eyes.

“... I was the one who wanted to eat from the start, right?” Semi’s voice become really gentle.

“.......” Rina, who was sitting on the floor beside her bed, turn her head down, tears were dropping non-stop.

Semi moved from the bed and sat on the floor with Rina, he placed his right arms on Rina’s shoulders, moved his head down to look at her face, “Don’t worry, I won’t die of such stupid reasons.” Semi reassured Rina that he is fine.

“...... I was… afraid…”

“Afraid? of what?” Semi was puzzled.

“I thought, you will leave me…”

“...” Semi didn’t know how to react, “what are you talking about?” He wanted to know more.

“Because, it’s been so long since I’ve had fun with someone, although I only know you for few days, but it definitely feels more than that…” Rina has always been very direct and truthful of herself, “I’ve always been alone, no families no friends… But when I met you, I felt that we could get along well…”

“Because I treated you onigiri? Mentaiko flavoured ones?” Semi was trying to liven the situation.

“No!!!” Rina reacted agitatedly at first, “But that could be part of the reason…”, she continued to joke along with Semi.

“Stupid.” Semi loves calling her stupid, because she is so silly and cute.

“Is there anything else you are allergic with? Or any other stuffs that you can’t touch??” Rina wanted to make sure such things won’t happen again.

“Nope, just crab, you can take all my craps (crabs) in future.” Semi was being lame.

“OMG, I feel like I’m in winder although it’s going to be summer soon.” Rina got Semi’s lame joke. They looked at each other and laughed again.

“Semi”

“Hmm?”

“You have really charming smiles…” Rina doesn’t hide her thoughts.

Semi felt blood gushing to his face again. “You always talk nonsense…” Semi looked away from her eyes.

“Blushing Semi is cute as well!!” Rina teased Semi again.

“You!!! I’ll kill you!!”

“I’ll gladly let you kill!” Rina didn’t have much desire to live from the start anyway.

“You… are seriously… stupid.” Semi didn’t know how to handle this girl.

“It’s easier to live being stupid, isn’t it?” Rina returned to a more serious tone.

“Would you mind telling me why you decide to take up this job?” Semi was curious, how did a petite girl like her ended up doing such jobs.

“You seriously wanna hear? It’s gonna be a long story. hahaha”

“I have nothing but time.” That’s true, Semi idles his time away when he’s not doing any killings.

“I thought so hahaha~” Rina started her story, “You see, I’ve been abandoned by my parents when I was five, my grandma took me in and took care of me till I was in high school. Eventually my grandma passed away just before I graduated from high school. I was left with nothing. After I graduated from high school, I was wasting my time away, doing part-time jobs at some convenience store, because I love onigiri you see. HAHA~” Rina didn’t want to make her story sound too bored. “Of course that money I earned there wouldn’t be enough to support myself. And during that time I was even cheated by my friends, and ended up in huge debts. I was about to jump off a building, till someone stopped me.”

“Would that be your current boss?” Semi linked that up to why she was doing this job.

“That’s right, somehow my boss had already checked about me beforehand, and told me he would pay for my debts, give me a place to live, as well as a job. At first I thought he was just joking, or he’s probably going to make me a e, so I rejected and asked him to leave. Then he explained to me what kind of company he is doing, and that he needed people to work for him.”

“Why did he targeted you then?” Semi find it weird as well.

“I know right! That was my thoughts too, then he said he wanted people who have nothing to lose. Because they have nothing to lose, they have no fear and will do anything.”

“Nothing to lose huh…” Semi kinda agree with that.

“Yeah, one who has things they want to protect won’t be able to take up such risky jobs. So, he asked me to try it out first, if I really don’t like it, I can continue jumping off the building. HAHAHA” Rina was being quite lighthearted about it. “I thought, ok, why not? There’s no harm trying it out, and so I began doing this job, and when I’ve realised, I’ve already been doing this for three years.”

“And why are you still so poor? You should have earned quite a bit these three years isn’t it? Your housing is provided as well...” Semi still cannot understand why she had to starve herself.

“Housing is free for the first year, and we have to pay them on our own after that. And I was saving so that I could return some money back to my boss if I die one day.” Rina didn’t like to owe someone too much.

“You are seriously stupid. He’s probably so rich and won’t need your money.”

“This is my principal alright? Anyway, I won’t die starving for a few days…”

“Ya right, you’ll just become a zombie who snatches other people’s onigiri…” Semi can use this as a joke forever.

“Semi…” Rina looked at Semi engrossedly.

“... what?” Semi sensed something weird.

“AHHHH!!!!” Rina placed her hands on Semi’s head and started fiddling with his hair, Semi didn’t give in too and grabbed her hands. They continue fighting and then Rina fell on her back to the ground, Semi was kneeling above her. Even though they were in such intimate positions, there were no sense of embarrassment between them.

“Ne, Semi.” Rina looked into Semi’s eyes.

“What?” Semi still in the same position while answering Rina.

“What about you? Why did you become a killer?” Rina wanted to know more about Semi too.

“The same reason as you, I have nothing to lose.” Rina was pleased with Semi’s answer, they looked into each other’s eyes and smiled.