Chapter 29

Maybe It Is Love

Here comes the drama!


 

Donghae yawned as he waited for the school bell to ring so that he could finally take a break and sleep for at least half an hour. He had spent the previous night without an ounce of sleep so he was tired. His eyes just wanted to close for some rest.

 

He wasn’t that hungry. So, he thought it was okay to skip lunch and sleep for a while.

 

Last night had been one of the most painful nights in Donghae’s whole existence but he had tried to control himself from completely breaking down. Last night, he had gathered all his courage and had stolen a kiss from Eunhyuk. Donghae was so in glee but it also pained him.

 

That little kiss brought the most beautiful feeling the brunette had experienced. Even if it was innocent, just a touch of two pairs of lips without any of them moving or deepening the kiss, even if Eunhyuk hadn’t kissed back, Donghae would still treasure that memory forever. For that was his very first kiss and it was also his last with the man he loved with all his heart. The man who was controlling all of the brunette’s emotions without even knowing it.

 

Eunhyuk didn’t know that Donghae was wrapped around his little finger. All of his emotions, all his love turned into sixes and sevens with just a swirl of the redheaded boy’s finger. Donghae was utterly and unconditionally wasted in love.

 

The brunette was thankful that Eunhyuk hadn’t been furious. He was thankful that Eunhyuk hadn’t pushed him away and also hadn’t yelled at him for kissing him like that. Donghae knew that even if the redheaded boy hated him, he was a good person. Because Donghae was the only one he was rude to while he treated other people so nicely. But lately Eunhyuk had become nice to him too. That’s why Donghae dared to take a risk, not wanting to waste the only possible time he could lose his first kiss to his husband.

 

And maybe he was so desperate that the redheaded boy pitied him too.
Sighing deeply in thought, Donghae was startled as the bell finally rang. He heaved a sigh of pure relief before picking up his bag and dashing out of the door.

 

The brunette already planned to spend the whole lunchtime in the rooftop, taking a nap while enjoying the fresh air.

 

Without any intention to meet any of his friends that day, he shoved his hands into the pockets of his pants and then proceeded towards the stairs.

 

Donghae yelped as a hand suddenly grabbed his wrist and turned him around. He sighed in relief as he saw that it was just Heechul.

 

“Heechul hyung, you scared me,” Donghae complained to the elder male. He frowned as he saw that Heechul was staring at him with unreadable eyes but a tense jaw.

 

“Aren’t you going to the cafeteria?” Heechul asked in a serious tone.

 

Donghae shook his head in answer, “Um.... no, I am going to the rooftop for taking a nap.”

 

Heechul nodded his head, “Okay, let’s go there then. We need to talk.”

 

With a tightened grip around the brunette’s wrist, Heechul started climbing up the stairs, dragging Donghae with him.

 

“Hyung, what’s wrong?” Donghae asked confusedly, following Heechul who didn’t answer and just stared straight ahead. Donghae could feel Heechul’s grip tightening by every second and he was worried. Why does he look so bothered?  

 

Donghae suddenly felt tension rising in his heart. He just wished that Heechul didn’t find out about his plan somehow.

 

As they reached the rooftop, Heechul finally let go of the younger boy’s hand and turned to face him completely.

 

He stared at Donghae with unreadable eyes as he tried to find something in the brunette’s eyes.

 

Donghae was getting an uncomfortable feeling because of the way Heechul was eyeing him. So, he decided to break the tension in the air, “Heechul hyung, w-what do you want to talk about?”

 

Heechul sighed and looked down before he began to tap his shoe on the cement floor of the roof. He finally looked up again a few seconds later and started talking with a serious voice, “Tomorrow is Hyuk’s birthday. Did you plan anything?”

 

Donghae’s heart began to beat faster in nervousness. his lips, he gulped and managed to crack a smile, “Yeah, I think I’m going to cook dinner for him today.”

 

Heechul nodded and took a step closer to the younger boy, “Then?”

 

“T-Then what?” the brunette stuttered under the honey blonde man’s unnerving gaze.

 

Heechul smirked, “His birthday is not today, Hae. It’s tomorrow. What is your plan for tomorrow?”

 

Donghae was unsure of what to answer. He didn’t want anyone - as in the people who knew about the marriage - to find out yet because he didn’t want them to stop him from what he needed to do. So, he needed to come up with a believable explanation, “I-I have to work at the café overtime tomorrow, so -”

 

Heechul finally snapped, “Stop lying to me, Lee Donghae! I already know. You are leaving, aren’t you?”

 

Heechul was tired of Donghae trying to cover everything up. He needed to know what the brunette was up to.

 

The younger boy gulped and looked down, “H-How did you know?”

 

Heechul sighed and tried to control his anger, “I’m not stupid, Hae. Yesterday Hyo saw you at the area her friend stays in. She called me. She felt like something was fishy because why would you even go there? As much as we know, none of your friends live there.”

 

Donghae bit his lip. He thought that he had made sure to be careful so that nobody will find out until he moved but maybe he wasn’t careful enough.

 

“I went there yesterday,” Heechul continued, “And after searching for some time, I found that you are going to move in one of the apartments there. Hae, why are you leaving your and Hyuk’s home? Did he say something to you?”

 

Heechul sounded so worried that Donghae could feel his eyes dampen with tears. He wanted to cry because even though he was such a burden in Heechul’s friend’s life, the elder male still treated him so well.

 

Finally lifting his head, Donghae wiped his tears and smiled slightly, “He didn’t say anything to me, hyung. It’s just that I think it’s finally time for me to let him go, to leave him alone. Hyukkie doesn’t need someone like me in his life. So, I thought it’ll be better to stop hoping now.”

 

Heechul’s eyes widened with surprise. He had already realized that Donghae was tired of being in a one-sided love but he didn’t think that the brunette would give up. “Are you saying that you’d stop loving him now?”

 

Donghae laughed at what Heechul said. His laughter was full of sadness, like he had no energy left to smile genuinely, “Do you think I can ever stop loving Hyukkie?”

 

Then finally, his tears fell, sliding down his cheeks as he pressed his lips together to suppress his sobs, “I wish I could, Heechul hyung. I wish but.......... I just love him so much.”

 

Heechul couldn’t see his favorite little brother crying like that. Donghae was so precious but why did he have to suffer so much for loving someone straight?

 

But then, Donghae didn’t know. Maybe he hadn’t noticed that Eunhyuk had started falling for him too.

 

It wasn’t right. Donghae couldn’t give up at this point.

 

Heechul strode forward and cupped Donghae’s face, making the brunette look up. Looking at the younger boy’s eyes, he spoke, “Baby Hae, listen to me. He loves you too. Trust me, Hae. Just give him a little time and he’ll come aroun-”

 

Donghae grabbed Heechul’s hands and yanked them off his face before he started shouting, “Stop lying to me, hyung! He doesn’t and never will fall for me. I am a guy! Can’t you see that?”

 

Donghae couldn’t suppress his sobs anymore and so he cried. His tears rolled down his face onto the ground as he began to wipe his eyes with his fists roughly.

 

“I-I heard your conversation that day....... in the washroom,” Heechul gasped at the statement.

 

“Hae, you-”

 

“I-I know how he feels...... about me and...... about this marriage,” Donghae pressed his palm over his mouth. He didn’t want Heechul to see him crying like an idiot. But he couldn’t control himself as Eunhyuk’s words from that day rang in his ears again and again like a mantra.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Donghae was coming back to class from the teacher’s room but stopped as he saw a furious Eunhyuk stomping towards the washroom.

 

The brunette frowned in worry, Is he okay? What happened? He was just going to call the other boy’s name to have his attention when he saw Heechul running towards the redheaded boy.

 

“Hyuk, wait!” Heechul grabbed Eunhyuk’s arm and roughly turned him around as they were inside the washroom, “Why are you acting like this?”

 

Eunhyuk roughly freed his hand from the other male’s grasp, “I’m fine, hyung. Just leave me alone for a while.”

 

Heechul was getting irritated too and so he turned Eunhyuk around again, “What is your problem? Is it about Donghae? Are you jealous?”

 

The redheaded boy’s jaw clenched in anger as he looked like he wanted to punch something very badly, “Why would I be jealous? Do I look like I care? You guys forced me to marry a man whom I don’t give a about. And now I can’t even live my life freely. Wherever I go, I have to see his face and be reminded that I am stuck with a ing boy for the rest of my life.”

 

Donghae’s eyes glistened with tears as he listened to the harsh words of his husband, back pressed against the wall outside. “But I thought you were also willing,” Donghae whispered to himself in a shaky voice.

 

“Then why did you marry him? You could just tell Uncle Lee that you don’t want to marry a guy,” Heechul began to shout in anger too.

 

Eunhyuk was saying such hurtful words that Heechul wanted to cry.
He was just thankful that Donghae wasn’t there to hear their conversation.

 

“That’s because I just wanted to fulfill my mother’s wish, hyung! And you are right! You know what my problem is? It’s Lee ing Donghae! From the moment he entered my life, my life has become hell! He is just everywhere! I just can’t tolerate him anymore. I just want him to leave me the alone so I can finally breathe in peace!” Eunhyuk panted heavily.

 

His face was red from frustration. He just wanted to let everything out and so all his complains just came out of his mouth before he could control himself.

 

He was so annoyed because people were always telling him that he liked Donghae when he hadn’t figured it out himself. He hated it the most when someone forced him to believe something - that he liked someone who always acted like he loved Eunhyuk but was always throwing himself at other guys whenever he had the chance.

 

He didn’t like being controlled by anybody.

 

Eunhyuk had finally snapped and he couldn’t stop before he poured out all of his frustrations. “I didn’t even say the marriage vows properly, hyung! I would never say those promising vows for him.”

 

Heechul was shocked, “You mean, at the altar-”

 

Eunhyuk chuckled humorlessly, “Yeah, remember? I never said that I’d always be with him, love him or those . So, I just want him to get out of my life!”

 

That was Eunhyuk’s last words before he shoved Heechul aside and dashed out of the washroom, too angry to notice the crying figure sitting on the floor beside the wall.

 

Donghae forced himself to stop crying by pressing his palm on his mouth but it never worked. Only his hurtful sounds were suppressed but it made the pain in his chest grow as his eyes continued crying.

 

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry Hyukkie. I’m so sorry.” He kept chanting apologies quietly like he was a criminal. He was - because he had ruined someone’s happiness, the happiness that his husband could live with only if Donghae had never entered his life.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Heechul hugged the brunette tightly, caressing his back soothingly to console him. He was crying too. “Don’t cry, baby Hae. It must’ve been so hard on you.”

 

Donghae completely broke down in the elder male’s arms, sobbing on his shoulder as he clenched his eyes shut. Little whimpers were escaping his throat because he was trying so hard to be strong, to console himself saying that he could just keep loving Eunhyuk while keeping his distance.

 

It was so exhausting to keep all his feelings and pain bottled up inside himself without letting anybody know how much he had been suffering but Donghae still tried his best.

 

“All this time, I’ve been just burdening him with a responsibility he never wanted. Why was I so stupid? If I am in his life, he’ll never be happy. But if I’m gone, everything will be back to normal, everyone will be happy,” he gasped for breath before continuing, “I can never be his wife, a person he can love. He has never even worn the wedding ring with my name on it. I know that he’d be the happiest to get a divorce but....... I can’t give him that yet. It’s too much for me....... so I’m just going to leave him alone. I just don’t want to cause more trouble than I already have,” Donghae sniffled pitifully but then quickly broke the hug. Wiping his tears from his eyes, he closed his lids and tried to regain his composure.

 

Heechul just stared at his favorite dongsaeng with tears in his own orbs.
When Donghae finally opened his lids again after half a minute, he was no longer crying anymore but his eyes still looked sad. They looked empty.

 

“Heechul hyung, I’m really thankful for all the support you have given me to be closer to him. But can you promise me something, please?”

 

Heechul couldn’t protest because the brunette’s eyes were pleading him. He nodded and held the younger boy’s hands in his own, “What is it?”

 

“Don’t tell Hyukkie anything if he ever asks, okay? Don’t even talk about me when you’re with him. I’ll try to keep my distance from him in school. So, please, do your best to make him feel like he never knew me more than a classmate. Can you do that?” the brunette’s eyes were b with tears but he didn’t let the teardrops fall again.

 

Heechul’s heart was hurting too. He wanted them to finally be happy with each other. He wanted Eunhyuk to realize how precious Donghae was and finally give him the recognition the brunette needed.

 

But.......

 

Eunhyuk didn’t know how much he had damaged Donghae. And if he didn’t find it out himself, he’ll never know. He’ll never realize how much he had hurt Donghae.

 

But Eunhyuk needed to know - not from others but he needed to see it himself.

 

Maybe it was finally time for Eunhyuk to clean the mess he had created himself.

 

“Okay,” Heechul muttered, nodding his head as he squeezed Donghae’s hand as an assuring gesture.

 

A single tear rolled down Donghae’s cheek but he still smiled gratefully at his friend.

 

Finally, he’ll free Eunhyuk.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Here, buddy, chug it down,” Junsu winked at Eunhyuk as he handed him a glass of wine, “It’s from that lady over there.”

 

Junsu lifted his hand and waved at the lady he was talking about.

 

Eunhyuk looked at the glass confusedly before slightly leaning backwards to look at the lady Junsu was talking about. He could finally understand why his friend used the term lady instead of girl.

 

The lady who was waving back at Junsu was beautiful. She looked like she was elder than them by at least four of five years. She looked mature and y with a charming aura surrounding her.

 

But when she shifted her eyes to Eunhyuk and smiled in a flirting way, the redheaded boy found himself turning away.

 

She was damn attractive but Eunhyuk could only compare how much prettier Donghae’s smile was.

 

“Tell her I’m not interested,” the redheaded boy replied, calling a waiter to return the glass of wine back to her table.

 

All their friends gasped in shock, “What, really?”

 

Junsu frowned, “What, man? I thought mature girls were your type? You once said that they know how to seduce a guy and pleasure him more than high school chicks.”

 

Eunhyuk chuckled, “They were. But I’m not in the mood today.”

 

“Ooooh!” their friends cheered in a teasing tone.

 

“That’s new,” one of their friends smirked, “Did you find a girlfriend or what, dude?” He wiggled his eyebrows teasingly.

 

Eunhyuk smacked his friend’s head, “Why will I tell you?”

 

Junsu shook his head with a laugh, “You are so hard to understand, dude. Never thought you’d reject such a lady. Whatever! Then we should just have a drink.”

 

Junsu and Eunhyuk’s friends from childhood had arranged a party for the redheaded boy’s 19th birthday at a nightclub. They had rented a space in the club large enough for them to enjoy themselves. It was originally planned to be in Junsu’s house but the other boys thought that it’d be more fun if they could also pick up some girls. So, arranging the party in the bar was a win-win situation for all of them.

 

Junsu wasn’t really worried about finding a girl because he already had a girlfriend.

 

Junsu stopped a waiter and took a lot of glasses filled with wine, then he placed it in front of Eunhyuk, “Here, let’s get drunk.”

 

The redheaded boy quickly shook his head, “No, not today. I need to go home quickly.”

 

Eunhyuk remembered that he had promised Donghae to go home early from the party and he didn’t want to break it.

 

His friends shook their head in disapproval, “What happened to you, Hyuk? You have suddenly become so decent. But it’s your birthday party so there’s no fun if you don’t drink.”

 

Eunhyuk protested, “Deal with it. No alcohol for me tonight.”

 

Changmin huffed, “There will be. Guys, hold his arms. I’m going to show the birthday boy how to drink.”

 

Everyone cheered loudly, “Okay!”

 

Eunhyuk’s eyes widened, “Guys, are you serious? No, please!”

 

Eunhyuk’s protests were cut off as his hands were being held tightly and a glass pressed against his plump lips. And before he knew it, the bitter tasting alcohol was sliding down his throat.

 

Sehun cackled evilly, “Okay, next shot.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Donghae scratched his head in confusion. What am I supposed to do next? He stared at the half cooked chicken on the stove and glanced at the different kind of ingredients Kyungsoo said he would need.

 

He had found most of the needed necessities in the kitchen cabinets or in the fridge. Maybe it was because Eunhyuk liked to cook different foods every night for dinner that they had so many cooking necessities that Donghae had never even heard about. He just had to buy a couple of things for the recipes.

 

He had been spending some time to stand by Kyungsoo in the café kitchen and watch how he cooked. And the younger male had also been supportive and taught him many techniques and gave him tips about how to cook simple but delicious meals. All those efforts were just for this day.

 

It had always been Donghae’s dream to cook something for his husband and watch him eat. And then Eunhyuk would praise him saying how delicious the food was and the brunette would smile proudly for succeeding in his hard work. Donghae would be happy knowing that he could fill the duties of a good wife just for one day, before he left.

 

But then, staring at the things placed on the kitchen counter by himself made the brunette realize that he really at cooking.

 

Something clicked in his head and he remembered that he wrote down some notes while learning from Kyungsoo.

 

Donghae quickly ran towards his bedroom to get the notebook.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Guys, we should stop now. He looks totally out of it,” Sehun stopped Junsu from pouring another shot of alcohol for Eunhyuk.

 

Junsu noticed that Sehun was right. Eunhyuk’s eyes were hooded like he could fall asleep anytime. The redheaded boy was completely drunk and didn’t have any sense of what was happening around him anymore. He was resting his head on top of the table while murmuring something incoherent.

 

Junsu nodded, “You’re right, man. We shouldn’t have made him drink so much. This wine is also stronger than the alcohols we usually drink.”

 

“Yeah and his alcohol tolerance is low anyway,” Changmin agreed.

 

They heard the redheaded boy murmuring something again and Sehun leaned closer to his mouth, trying to understand the words he was uttering.

 

“H-Home..... Hae...... home.”

 

Sehun scratched his head, “Looks like he wants to go home. One of us needs to take him because he obviously can’t go alone. And we are tipsy too.”

 

“Um...... I can drop him home if you want,” all the heads turned to the source of the sweet female voice. It was the woman who had joined their table when they were busy forcing Eunhyuk to drink the strong alcohol and they had noticed how she had been eyeing their drunk friend all this time with hungry eyes.

 

Changmin smirked, Hyuk must thank me later for this.

 

“Of course, a beautiful girl like you wants to give him a ride. That’s a pleasure nobody will refuse. I’m sure you’ll take care of him.”

 

Changmin knew that his words held double meaning and he knew that the girl noticed it too, “I will.”

 

“Okay, then. Problem solved,” Junsu wiggled his brows and winked at Changmin. They were thinking the same thing. We are such good friends.

 

“Here’s his address,” Junsu wrote down on a tissue and gave it to the girl who smiled dazzlingly, “Can you help me get him into my car?”

 

“Sure.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Donghae was getting worried. It was almost past midnight but Eunhyuk still didn’t come home. Donghae was so excited but it looked like the redheaded boy was still with his friends. It was not surprising because the brunette wasn’t important anyway.

 

Sighing a little, Donghae got up from his chair and decided to put the foods in the fridge. It was late and Donghae didn’t want all his efforts to go to waste. If he put them in the fridge, the elder boy could eat them later.

 

As Donghae finished putting away the foods and washing the plates, he contemplated whether to wait for the elder boy to reach home or not. He hadn’t eaten dinner yet but the brunnette had lost his appetite. Though he had skipped lunch, he didn’t feel hungry at all.

 

It would be his last meal with Eunhyuk because he’d leave early in the morning the next day. Donghae sat on the couch in the living room and smiled, remembering all the good and bad memories in this apartment. Good or bad, all of those memories were precious because they were with the man he loved.

 

He remembered everything. The first day they had come to this house, the little fight with the elder boy regarding choosing their rooms, the night before valentine’s day when he gave Eunhyuk the small cake, the day he got sick, when Eunhyuk first cooked for him, the night they shared a bed. And there were also bad memories like when Eunhyuk yelled at him for going to the party, when he told Donghae that he only nursed Donghae but it had no special meaning, also the night Eunhyuk brought a girl home.

 

Donghae was going to miss everything but he couldn’t be selfish. If he could make his husband smile by going away from his life, he would. Then at least Eunhyuk would be glad.

 

That’s all Donghae needed. If he could see that smile on his love’s face from afar, he could be happy too.

 

Donghae’s thoughts got interrupted by the doorbell ringing loudly throughout the whole apartment. He frowned because Eunhyuk had a key. So, it must be someone else.

 

Opening the door, the brunette froze on his spot.

 

There was a girl, dressed in very exposing clothes, supporting someone with a head full of red hair to stand on his feet.

 

Donghae could feel tears gathering in his orbs.

 

“Hi, are you his friend?” the girl asked, smiling at Donghae in a flirty way.

 

Donghae gulped down the knot in his throat before he found his voice back, “Um.... no, I’m his h-housmate.”

 

The girl flashed him another smile, “Can you help me take him inside? He is a bit tipsy.”

 

The brunette could see that the girl was struggling to hold Eunhyuk up.

 

The younger boy nodded quietly before stepping forward and lifting the redheaded boy’s right hand around his shoulder whereas the girl was on his left.

 

They brought Eunhyuk to the elder male’s bedroom and Donghae laid him down on the bed before proceeding to remove his shoes.

 

He was going to take his jacket off when the girl talked, “I-I think I can help him do that. It’d be better if you leave us alone here.”

 

Donghae’s eyes widened at the words, “Y-You mean you two-”

 

The girl smirked, “Yeah, I got the duty to take care of him tonight, if you know what I mean,” she giggled and winked at the brunette. She was thinking of going after the brunette male too because he is kind of hot too.

 

Donghae quickly got up from the bed and stuttered, “Okay, I-I’ll go now.”

 

He quickly ran out of the room and into his own bedroom. He needed to get away from there before he started crying.

 

As soon as Donghae locked the door of his room, he finally broke into tears. He slid down the door on the ground.

 

It hurt so much. His heart hurt so much.

 

The brunette gasped. Biting his lips to stop any noises to disturb the duo in the next room, he quietly sobbed into his fist. It was the truth, the reality.

 

And Donghae had no right to stop them from spending an intimate night together. Because he had gave up the claim of being Lee Hyukjae’s wife.

 

He couldn’t sleep. It was a torture. But maybe he deserved it for trapping Eunhyuk who was unwilling to be with him for so long.

 

Donghae blocked his ears with his hands. He didn’t want to hear the moans and whimpers of female voice coming from the next room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Donghae slowly knocked on the door. He just wanted to see Eunhyuk for one last time.

 

As he heard no noise from inside the room, he decided to go in. He didn’t know if he was lucky because the door wasn’t locked.

 

Opening it, Donghae quietly stepped inside.

 

His heart broke once again at the scene before him. Eunhyuk and the girl from the previous night both were wrapped in a duvet, the skin on their shoulders visible making it known that both was under the covers.

 

Donghae tried not to let the scene bother him and walked to Eunhyuk’s side of the bed.

 

He smiled, observing Eunhyuk’s sleeping face for one last time. Those one-lidded eyes, that big nose, his plump red lips, his sharp jaw. He stared intensely, making sure that he could remember every feature.

 

Then the brunette bent down, placing one last kiss on Eunhyuk’s forehead. “Goodbye, Hyukkie. And happy birthday.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

As Donghae got on the first bus of the morning, their wedding vows rang in his ears.

 

 

“I, Lee Hyukjae, take this man, Lee Donghae, as my officially wedded wife.”

 

 

“I, Lee Donghae, take this man, Lee Hyukjae, as my officially wedded husband, promise to stay by him and help him in all problems and difficulties, respect and fulfill his wishes and love him forever.”

 

 

The vows that Eunhyuk never said completely.

 

 

 


 

A/N: I’m laughing evilly now.

Let me know how you feel about this chapter. Muuuuaaaah!

Don’t kick me, please. *runs away*