Chapter 18

Maybe It Is Love

Sungmin giggled, again.

 

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow at the giggling boy, “What? Does something look funny to you?”

 

“Nothing, I just feel like laughing,” Sungmin giggled happily and Kyuhyun eyed him in suspicion.

 

Sungmin couldn’t help it. What happened in the school cafeteria was so funny that he couldn’t stop giggling even though school had already ended. He was having one of his extra math classes with Kyuhyun and the brunette was trying to teach him an important rule of the lesson they were learning about but Sungmin couldn’t get the incident in lunchtime out of his mind.

 

After yesterday’s visit to Merin’s Café and talking to Donghae, the shorter brunette had promised Sungmin that he’d show him how possessive Kyuhyun was about him. And Donghae did exactly that.

 

The whole lunchtime Donghae had been clinging onto him. He had taken the chair next to Sungmin, fed the boy with his own hands and he had even kissed Sungmin’s cheek with the purpose of making Kyuhyun jealous. And the plan worked. Kyuhyun was pissed. He was so pissed that he had glared at Donghae in a way that held the message, Get your hands off my boy and took Sungmin’s hand, yanking him out of his friend’s hold before dragging him out of the cafeteria in front of the eyes of a gaping audience.

 

After that, Sungmin had no doubt about Kyuhyun having feelings for him and it made him feel a lot better.

 

“Will you ing stop acting like a mentally unstable person and focus on what I’m trying to teach you here?” Kyuhyun yelled as he finally lost his patience. Sungmin tried to stifle his giggles and keep his face straight.

 

Kyuhyun glared at him before he began to explain the rules of the math again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Donghae was walking to his and Eunhyuk’s shared apartment - their home. It was getting late and so he was walking fast to reach home before the usual time for dinner was over.

 

Kyuhyun didn’t have work in the café on Mondays because he had to tutor Sungmin. The café was more crowded than usual and so Donghae worked overtime to help the others.

 

Donghae chuckled as he remembered what happened that morning and he was so proud of himself for being able to make Sungmin aware of Kyuhyun’s obvious feelings towards the former.

 

He sighed as he waited for the elevator at the ground floor of the building. He was happy for his friends. He was happy for Yesung and Ryeowook, for Kyuhyun and Sungmin. They were lucky because they were liked by the person they liked. Because Donghae knew, that everyone wasn’t lucky enough to be loved by their loved ones.

 

The elevator arrived and Donghae got inside. He was busy in thoughts as the elevator rose up and stopped at his floor.

 

 

 

 

 

 

When Donghae was cooking ramen for dinner later, Eunhyuk came out of his bedroom with his phone.

 

“Donghae, come here. Dad wants to talk to us,” the redheaded boy said, gesturing to the phone in his hand.

 

“Uh.... coming,” Donghae turned off the gas and washed his hands before walking to the couch in the living room where Eunhyuk was sitting.

 

He was curious about what his father-in-law wanted to say. Eunhyuk looked up at him and then gave him a signal to sit beside him, “Dad, Donghae is here and the phone is on speaker now. What did you want to talk about?”

 

“Donghae, How are you, son?” Mr. Lee asked through the phone.

 

“I’m fine, uncle. What about you? Are you taking care of your health?” Donghae asked, genuinely concerned.

 

The elder man chuckled, “I’m in good shape, son. You don’t need to worry.” Donghae and Eunhyuk could hear some little noises in the background. It was like Mr. Lee was talking to somebody in hushed whispers. The whispers stopped and the eldest man coughed to clear his throat. Then he started, “There is a business party tomorrow which is very important but I am very busy with loads of work. So, I want you two to attend the party instaed of me. You are forbidden to say no because the party is very important for our company. And my business partners want to meet my son and his wife. So, it will be a great opportunity for them to become acquainted with you.”

 

“What? Dad, no. You want me to go to that business party? Okay. But I’m not going to take Donghae with me,” Eunhyuk protested.

 

“Hyuk,” the elder man said sternly, “Don’t even try. Donghae will go with you and both of you will go there. Do you understand?”

 

“Uh... but uncle, I don’t think I should go,” Donghae said, knowing that Eunhyuk wouldn’t be happy to go with him.

 

Mr. Lee sighed, “Donghae, I know why you are saying that. You will go with Hyuk and that’s final. Got it?”

 

“But dad-”

 

“No, Hyuk. I’m hanging up. I don’t want you to argue about this. Bye.”

 

Eunhyuk glared at Donghae. He was so angry that he didn’t even want to see the brunette’s face at that moment.

 

Donghae lowered his head, scared to look at his angry husband, “I-I’m sorry.”

 

Sorry?” Eunhyuk yelled. “You think you can solve this only with a ing sorry?” He stood up from the couch in a swift movement and groaned, “I just can’t believe it,” his chuckled bitterly, “I can’t ing believe it! I don’t even like you one bit, let alone accepting you as my wife. And now I have to introduce you to people as my life partner? Oh please, you are not even a suitable match for me,” the redheaded boy said, looking at the brunette with a disgusted expression. The brunette didn’t say anything, he was only trying hard to hold back his tears. “You know what?” Eunhyuk continued with a voice full of detest, “You are so ugly that I can’t believe how the hell I ended up with you.”

 

Eunhyuk then cursed and walked into his bedroom, slamming the door shut with a loud sound.

 

Donghae cried, he let his tears fall as he opened his mouth to let out silent screams. He was afraid to let out any sound, afraid that Eunhyuk would become more irritated if he heard him cry. He covered his mouth with his palms firmly, keeping his mouth shut and his cries muffled as his shoulders shook violently and somehow ge managed to walk into his own room. He locked the door and unsteadily managed to reach his bed, his legs were shaking and wobbling from how hard he was trying not to sob outloud.

 

His heart was so weak but he needed to endure the pain. He had to do something to calm down. And he did the only thing that could calm him down at this point. He quickly opened his laptop which his father-in-law had given him as a present and took out a DVD from his bedside drawer. He wore the headphones and inserted the disk with shaky hands and played it.

 

The brunette took deep breathes as the screen showed a three years old Donghae laughing and running around the lawn.

 

Donghae watched as little Donghae giggled while running and hiding behind his mother.

 

“Mom, hide me! Ow else hyung will catch me!” little Donghae exclaimed cutely.

 

“Hae, I am going to catch you!” another little boy who was only a few months older and two inches taller than Donghae said as he went to catch the hiding kid. The shorter kid giggled and ran away from his hiding place - which was behind his mother - to avoid being caught by his hyung.

 

“Wait up, you little baby,” the taller and more mature one shouted and laughed as he followed the former kid. Donghae’s mother laughed at the scene, “Slow down, Donghae. You’ll fall!”

 

Donghae wiped his tears with his knuckles as he saw the kids on the screen running and laughing as they played catch.

 

“Hae, come here and I’ll give you a ppoppo,” the taller kid tried to lure little Donghae.

 

“No, hyung,” the little brunette giggled, “I will wi- ah!” his leg got trapped in a broken branch and he fell on the hard ground face first.

 

“Waaah!” little Donghae started crying and slowly got up to sit on the ground. His left knee got bruised from how hard he fell. He inspected his knee and cried harder, “Waaaaaaah!” The little brunette’s hyung ran to him and sat kneeling in front of him. “Hae! are you okay?” hyung asked Donghae gently even though he was panicking because his precious Hae was hurt and crying.

 

“Hyung, I am huwt!” the shorter kid sobbed loudly while touching his hurt knee in an attempt to make the pain go away.

 

“Don’t touch it, Hae,” the taller kid caught the brunette’s small hands in his own so that he wouldn’t touch it. His hands were small too. But they were slightly bigger than the brunette’s hands which made it easier for him to secure the smaller ones in his own firmly. “It’s okay, Hae.”

 

“But, hyung,” the little brunette sobbed again, “huwts.”

 

“Shh....you’ll be okay, Hae,” the taller boy assured the crying boy. He inspected the other boy’s knee and caressed the skin that looked injured, “Let’s go inside, Hae. I’ll ask mommy to wrap a banntage on your knee. Does it hurt somewhere else?” he asked, having trouble with pronouncing the word ‘bandage’ properly.

 

“H-Hewe,” the brunette pointed his forefinger at his head, scrunching his nose a bit as his finger touched the place that hurt.

 

The raven headed kid leaned forward, cupping Donghae’s head and kissed his forehead, kissing the spot the younger pointed at, “There. Is it better now?”

 

Donghae nodded his head slowly. He hiccuped cutely, his sobs dying as his hyung wiped his tears away with his small fingers. “Don’t cry anymore, Okay?” the taller boy cooed at the shorter one.

 

“Okay.”

 

“Dad, put down the camera and come here, please. We need to take Hae inside,” the raven headed kid said, looking at the person who was recording the sweet scene in the camera. It could be heard that the person was chuckling, “Coming.” And then the screen became blank.

 

Donghae lay on his bed, dry tears adorning his face. At least there used to be someone who cared so much, he thought, a small smile tugging the edges of his lips upwards.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What are you doing?” Eunhyuk glared at Donghae.

 

The younger boy was wearing a simple shirt, just like he always did. But Donghae didn’t look as handsome as himself, Eunhyuk noted.

 

Donghae didn’t answer. He shrugged and got on the passenger seat of Eunhyuk’s car.

 

“I asked you something,” Eunhyuk raised his voice, narrowing his eyes a bit.

 

“Last night uncle told me to go with you, remember?” Donghae said in an irritably calm tone. The elder boy rolled his eyes in annoyance.

 

“Get out,” he ordered strictly.

 

“Why should I?” Donghae asked back.

 

“Because I said so,” the redhead male replied, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel, impatiently waiting for Donghae to follow his order but the younger boy didn’t even move.

 

“Okay!” the brunette flinched at the tone Eunhyuk used, “I don’t care if you come or not. But,” he faced Donghae with his glaring eyes and clenched jaw, “I can promise you that you’ll regret coming with me.”

 

Donghae didn’t reply to that. He was sure of the fact that Eunhyuk will keep his promise very well. He knew that he was being stubborn by insisting on accompanying the elder. But he didn’t want to give up without trying.

 

Eunhyuk started the engine and looked at Donghae with an irritated expression.

 

“What?” Donghae asked innocently.

 

“Do you want to die or will you tie your seatbelt?” The younger’s mouth formed an o and he quickly tied his seatbelt, not wanting to get hurt when Eunhyuk would start driving, smiling to himself a little. “Done,” he said happily once he was safely tied to his seat.

 

Eunhyuk smirked evilly and started driving, maintaining his deathly speed as Donghae clutched onto the passenger seat while praying for his life not to end before they reached their destination.

 

 

 

 

 

 

It took them nearly twenty five minutes to reach the place where the party was being held. Donghae watched the decorations with wide eyes, face planted against the car’s window as Eunhyuk proceeded to park the car.

 

“It’s so pretty!” Donghae exclaimed. Eunhyuk ignored him and got out of the car as Donghae followed with a pout.    

 

They went to the front door of the house and were greeted by Mr. Park, the host of the party. Eunhyuk bowed at the elder man. He had met Mr. Park a few times before, in similar parties where he used to go with his dad and the elder man was very fond of him.

 

“Hello, Mr. Park,” Eunhyuk greeted him with a polite smile.

 

“Hyukjae, my boy, how are you?” the elder man asked cheerfully, smiling at the redheaded male.

 

“I am fine, sir. How is your health?” Eunhyuk asked.

 

“I’m good. Thank you for worrying about this old man,” Mr. Park laughed. Then his eyes caught Donghae who was standing behind Eunhyuk nervously, looking at them while listening to their conversation.

 

“You are Donghae, right?” he asked looking at the brunette, his eyes sparkling at the realization as if he had won a lottery - not that he needed one though. He was pretty rich anyway.

 

Donghae bowed at him and smiled politely, “Yes, sir.”

 

The elder man grinned, “I saw you at the wedding. You were wearing that white wedding dress, looking so pretty and wife-like, I nearly cried. I felt like I was watching my own daughter’s wedding.”

 

Donghae blushed at the memory of himself dressing up like a girl.

 

“Look, Hyukjae, your wife is so cute. He is blushing,” Mr. Park laughed. Eunhyuk coughed awkwardly, watching Donghae smile shyly while looking at the ground. He couldn’t deny that the brunette looked really cute with those red cheeks. But he was not going to admit it outloud.

 

“I won’t take much of your time. Go inside and enjoy the party, you too Donghae,” Mr. Park said with a kind smile. The married couple smiled at the elder man and went into the house, being met with a decoration prettier than the outside of the house and the brunette gasped in amazement, “Wow, it is sooooo pretty!” his eyes were sparkling.

 

Eunhyuk shook his head, amused at the younger boy’s behavior.

 

He was so confused because he was supposed to be angry with Donghae but, here I am, laughing at his cuteness, Eunhyuk thought. 

 

He shook his head to get that thought out of his head. Eunhyuk looked at Donghae again, watching him intensely. He couldn’t deny it. At times, Donghae would suddenly become so cute and smile so adorably that his heart would beat faster. It happened every time the brunette behaved like that, being so happy at such small things that his brown eyes would widen while a childish smile would adorn his face.

 

What the hell am I thinking? Eunhyuk scolded himself. He quickly turned around and walked away from the excited brunette who was too busy admiring the lights to notice him and follow.

 

It was a business party and Eunhyuk did what he was supposed to do. He greeted the other guests and conversed with them like a perfect businessman would. He was going to inherit Lee Corporation once his father retired and he knew how important it was to make a good impression on other businessmen.

 

Donghae was far away from him. The brunette knew that Eunhyuk wouldn’t like to introduce him as his wife and so he kept his distance the whole time and enjoyed the various foods that were arranged for the guests.

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was already nine in the evening. They had come at the party at seven but so much time had passed without Donghae getting Eunhyuk’s attention. So, he finally decided to steal some of the elder boy’s attention for himself.

 

Eunhyuk was currently having a conversation with a very pretty girl who was wearing a sky-blue gown which added to her beauty. She was Mr. Park’s only daughter, Park Choa. She was kind, just like her father.

 

By that time, Eunhyuk had kicked all those disturbing thoughts about Donghae out of his head and was back on track of doing what he had promised the brunette earlier.

 

Donghae approached Eunhyuk but the redheaded boy didn’t notice the brunette.

 

“Hyukkie,” Donghae called Eunhyuk softly, poking his shoulder with his index finger.  

 

“Oh, your date is calling you, Eunhyuk-ssi,” Choa said with a sweet smile. Eunhyuk turned around to face Donghae. He was extremely embarrassed because of the nickname, because of Donghae calling him Hyukkie. He didn’t like the embarrassment the brunette brought him and so he decided that it will be a perfect opportunity to humiliate the younger boy.

Eunhyuk turned to face Choa again, “I didn’t bring a date, Choa-ssi,” he calmly said.

 

“Eh? He isn’t your date? I thought he is. Wasn’t he calling you by a nickname?” Choa asked confusedly.

 

Eunhyuk looked at Donghae from head to toe with a judging stare, “Sorry but I don’t know him.”

 

Eunhyuk smirked because Donghae was staring at him with wide eyes.

 

“Sorry, I misunderstood,” Choa apologized.

 

“It’s okay but shouldn’t you be more careful, Choa-ssi? You should make sure he is invited. From the way he is dressed, I don’t think he is someone professional.”

 

“Ah, right,” Choa then smiled at the wide-eyed brunette, “Excuse me, may I know who you are with?”

 

Donghae just stared at her. He didn’t know what to say. He had never come to a party like this before so he didn’t know how to dress properly for this kind of events. He must have dressed wrongly.

 

“Please, tell me who you came with,” Choa politely asked again, getting suspicious at the brunette’s lack of answer.

 

Donghae was not sure of what to do. One thing he knew well was, this kind of business parties could only be attended by people who had been invited. The invited people could bring someone with them if they wanted to. People who invaded without being invited had to face trouble. Donghae was panicking inside because Eunhyuk said that he came alone which meant Donghae was alone now and he didn’t have the invitation card with him. He looked around in hope to find Mr. Park but the elder man was nowhere in sight.

 

Donghae was sweating under Choa’s questioning gaze. He gave the smirking redheaded boy a desperate look, silently begging him for help.

 

Eunhyuk noticed a lot of emotions playing in Donghae’s wide brown eyes. But which caught him off guard was the fear in the brunette’s eyes. Donghae was afraid. And Eunhyuk suddenly felt bad for scaring him like that.

 

“He is with me.”

 

Choa looked at the boy standing behind Donghae with surprised eyes. Donghae stiffened because of the arms around his waist, holding him securely. He turned his neck to look at the person hugging him from behind.

 

“Yunho,” Donghae whispered, sighing in relief and relaxing his body.

 

“Yunho-ssi, good to see you. So, he is with you?” Choa asked, smiling at Yunho.

 

“Yeah, he is my date tonight,” Yunho replied with a dashing smile and kissed the side of Donghae’s head, “You okay, Donghae-ah?” he asked the brunette with concerned eyes. Donghae nodded his head in reply.

 

Choa cooed at the scene, “You two look so good together. I’m sorry for doubting you, Donghae-ssi.”

 

“It’s okay,” Donghae replied softly, avoiding Eunhyuk’s eyes.

 

“Okay then, if you don’t mind, can I take my date away for some alone time now?” Yunho asked like a gentleman.

 

“Yeah, sure.” Eunhyuk watched as the Yunho guy and Donghae walked away, holding hands like a couple. His eyes narrowed at the scene.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What the hell were you thinking? And why the hell are you dressed like this in a business party?” Yunho scolded Donghae.

 

Donghae pouted, “How would I know that simple clothes aren’t allowed here? It’s not like I go to parties like these everyday like you. Wait, you also don’t go to business parties much. What the hell are you doing here?”

 

“Well, granny wanted to have dinner with mom and papa. So, here I am, replacing them.”

 

“How is grandma doing?” Donghae perked up at the mention of his favorite lady.

 

“Good but she misses you a lot. Seems like she wants you as her grandson instead of me,” Yunho glared at Donghae who only laughed.

 

“I also miss her. Make sure to tell her that.”

 

“You should thank me for rescuing you tonight, darling. I want a kiss,” Yunho puckered his lips and made kissing sounds.

 

Donghae gagged dramatically.

 

Yunho’s parents were rich. They lived in a luxurious house but Yunho’s grandmother didn’t like that kind of lifestyle. She liked to live a simple life. So, she lived in a small apartment alone which was beside Donghae’s previous small apartment. Yunho sometimes came to visit his granny and that’s how they became friends.

 

“By the way, why was she asking you that question?” Yunho asked Donghae as they sat on a couch at one corner of the house.

 

“Well, the person I came with.....,” Donghae trailed off.

 

“Ditched you?” Yunho helped. Donghae sighed, “Kind of.”

 

“Well, don’t be sad, Donghae-ah,” Yunho cooed and cupped the younger boy’s face, “Your knight in shining armour is here to save you.”

 

Donghae giggled at that.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eunhyuk gulped the wine down, emptying his glass in one sip.

 

His eyes were set on the corner of the room where Donghae sat, laughing at something that Yunho said as they held hands.

 

Something was burning inside the redheaded boy. He just had the urge to punch Yunho because of the way Donghae looked so relaxed and carefree around him. He had been eyeing the duo the entire time, which could be confirmed as less than thirty minutes.

 

Why the hell do I even care? he huffed. Whatever the reason was, he didn’t care and decided to leave the place. Donghae can go back with his date. I don’t care at all.

 

Eunhyuk gave the couple a last look, this time, unfortunately meeting the brunette’s eyes. The redheaded boy scoffed and turned around, breaking eye-contact with Donghae and proceeded forward, walking to the door of the house.

 

Donghae frowned, he turned to Yunho, “I think I have to go now, Yunho-ah.”

 

“Oh? Okay, bye then. Call me later,” Yunho said.

 

Donghae got up from the couch and followed Eunhyuk, only once turning around to wave at his friend.

 

“Hyukkie, wait!” the brunette called the elder boy, running to catch up to him. When he reached Eunhyuk, the redheaded boy was already in his car, entering the key in the ignition.

 

Donghae quickly got in the passenger seat and slammed the door shut, panting because of the run he had to make. “Why didn’t you tell me that you were leaving?” he asked, demanding for an answer.

 

“Just felt like it,” the elder boy replied unaffectedly. “Who was that guy?” he asked instead, voice containing something Donghae couldn’t recognize.

 

“Yunho? He is a friend,” he replied innocently.

 

“A friend?” Eunhyuk lifted his eyebrows at the younger who only nodded with that - Eunhyuk decided - annoying innocence in his eyes.

 

Something inside him snapped. He smirked and leaned forward from his seat as the younger boy backed away, scared of the glare Eunhyuk held in his gaze. His back touched the door of the car, preventing him from moving as Eunhyuk only closed the distance by leaning forward.

 

Eunhyuk trapped the younger boy between the door and himself, their face so close that the smaller boy stopped breathing.

 

“A friend? Are you sure, Donghae?” he whispered in a gentle tone, his breath touching the younger’s cheek. Donghae whimpered, “Y-Yes.”

 

Eunhyuk chuckled bitterly, “Really?” his lips brushed over the younger boy’s ear, making the brunette shiver. He nodded weakly.

 

He was sensitive when it came to Eunhyuk. Eunhyuk’s hands, words, voice, and Eunhyuk’s lips. Everything about Eunhyuk affected him. And with such small distance between them, his heart was beating at an unhealthy pace. “Good,” the elder boy whispered, blowing some air on Donghae’s forehead, making his brown bangs slightly messy. Donghae closed his eyes, drowning in the other boy’s touch, enjoying his warmth.

 

And then the warmth was gone.

 

Donghae fluttered his eyes open, surprised to see Eunhyuk holding the steering wheel. “Tie your seatbelt,” Eunhyuk ordered strictly, his eyes fixed straight at the road.

 

Donghae complied, breathing heavily because of the incident just a moment ago.

 

He missed the satisfied smirk that rested upon Eunhyuk’s lips.

 


 A/N: Waaaah! Another chapter!

I just realized that I write fluff better than anything else. *sob sob*

Please comment.

Hopefully, the romantic scene at the end was good.

This was the longest chapter, by the way.