2seok | A Late Night's Work

BTS One Shots

Seokjin felt a little flutter in his stomach that was almost like nerves, which was ridiculous, because he didn't get nervous. Not until Hoseok came along, anyway.

pg-13 | au, friends to lovers.

a/n: this is just a short fluffy fic that I wrote a long time ago for sugoideer, to celebrate Hoseok's birthday, but forgot to post it here. let me know what you think!

 


 

Seokjin glanced at his watch. If he was quick enough, he could be home before Yoongi came back.

His flatmate had been speaking only about the new track he was working on for the past couple of days, and knowing Yoongi when he was obsessed with something, Seokjin would bet he was still in the studio without remembering to do basic things such as eating or walking to stretch his legs every now and then.

He typed a quick text telling Yoongi that he would be home soon and was going to make dinner, and then walked into the cinema to clean before he left. Taehyung was supposed to be here and help him but since he had an important thing to do — as he told Seokjin right before he left, an apologetic smile on his face — Seokjin was left on his own today. Seokjin knew he was probably just hanging out with Jeongguk, but chose not to say anything.

He was just about to close one of the rooms when he spotted a head resting against one of the seats. He frowned. Had someone slept and no one bothered to wake him up?

The person must have heard his footsteps because he turned around. His cheeks were flushed, and his eyes were bloodshot.

“Um, hello,” Seokjin said, praying that he looked friendly enough. “I...uh-”

“Oh, you must be working here.” The man sniffed, standing up quickly. He shifted uncomfortably. “I’m sorry. I should have left earlier.”

“It is alright,” Seokjin said, offering a tissue from his pocket. The man took the tissue, blowing his nose noisily. “Um, I don’t want to intrude but…are you okay?”

“I’m fine, really. I must look like , huh?” The man offered a small smile, running his hand through his hair, which just made it messier than it was.

“Not really.”

The man chuckled. “Thanks.” He glanced at the big screen. “It is just ah — this film. I’ve been in love with this series since I was a kid, and it really hit me. It is silly, I know.”

Seokjin shook his head. “I watched this film last night. Asked a friend to cover for me and snuck in to watch. Bawled my eyes out.”

“I can’t believe what they did! , I knew he was going to die right from the beginning, and yet I still cried like a ing baby. People kept looking at me funny like I lost it.” He paused, ducking his head. “I probably looked like I did.”

“Never mind them. The death was brutal. I’m thinking of going to the company and demanding another ending.”

The man laughed and Seokjin found himself smiling. He decided that the other guy looked really cute happy and slightly embarrassed like that.

“I’m Seokjin.”

“Hoseok.”

“Well, you must have things to do, so I uh — I will get out of your way.”

“I actually still have a while before I have to leave,” Seokjin said, checking his watch. Yoongi and his boss were going to kill him, but he couldn’t just leave Hoseok like that, could he? He just witnessed the death of what looked like one of his favourite characters. “Can I get you something? A drink, maybe?”

“Are you sure? If you are busy-”

“No, I'm not, really.”

Hoseok smiled. “Okay then.”

 


 

Seokjin rested his hands against his legs, his head down as droplets of sweat ran down his forehead and back. He groaned.

“You okay?” Seokjin looked up and found Hoseok standing next to him, faint lines of concern etched on his face.

“I’m fine.” He stood up properly and stretched. “I’m just not used to dancing for so long or, er, at all.”

Hoseok grinned. “Yeah, I figured that out pretty quickly.”

It was a stupid plan, but ever since Seokjin found out a couple of days ago that Hoseok was a dancer and that he worked nearby, he wanted to find any excuse to see him again. So, following the first idea that came to mind before he thought it through, he strolled in and said that he wanted to take a dancing lesson.

It was just his luck that Hoseok happened to there, and it was also just his luck that they were in the middle of an intense choreography. Hoseok told him to wait till the next lesson, which was much easier, but Seokjin wanted to try it out.

That was the single worst decision of his life.

“But you weren’t that bad,” Hoseok said, offering him a bottle of water. Out of pity or not, Seokjin didn’t know, and he didn’t want to ask. “You would have been great if you’d come from the beginning.”

“Thanks.” He accepted the bottle and gulped down half of it.

Despite how tired he was, he couldn't really bring himself to regret coming. Seeing Hoseok dancing and looking so passionate about something was worth it.

And him looking extremely attractive all focused and sweaty like that was definitely a plus.

“So, what're your plans for the rest of the night?” Hoseok asked, snapping him out of his thoughts.

“Well, I’m thinking of taking a day off tomorrow and sleeping for 20 hours straight,” he said honestly.

Hoseok chuckled. “I was thinking we can go and eat something.”

Seokjin blinked. Oh.

“Well, I’m starving, so yeah, why not?” He said, trying not to sound too excited. “I will just take a quick shower first."

 


 

“So, I was thinking of something,” Taehyung started.

“This can’t be good,” Yoongi muttered instantly, looking away from the TV as the credits rolled.

Jeongguk snickered while Seokjin suppressed his laugh and patted Tae on the back, who was too busy glaring at Yoongi.

Seokjin had invited Hoseok over for the day, where he usually spent it watching films and relaxing with his friends. Hoseok was awkward at first, but he quickly fit right in.

The night was almost over and Seokjin was really glad that he had spent more time with the younger boy. The fact that he was rapidly developing a crush on him had nothing to do with it.

Okay, so maybe it did, just a little.

As usual, the others couldn’t just let it go, the youngest three making it their job to every now and then. He let it slide only because he didn’t want Hoseok to notice. Or maybe he did and he was just playing dumb. Either way, Seokjin was going to have a talk with the others when Hoseok left.

“Anyway, as I was saying,” Tae continued. “How about we play a game before we leave?”

“You just don’t want to go home, and want to make us all stay,” Jeongguk stated.

“Let the boy finish,” Seokjin said. Sometimes he forgot he was dealing with children and not actual young men, but the others never failed to remind him.

Gradually, they all agreed. It was getting late but no one wanted to face the fact that the weekend had ended, and they all had work and tons of assignments to get to. Sometimes, it was best to ignore everything for a while.

Seokjin leant against Namjoon’s dangling legs from the couch, shifting to get a more comfortable position on the floor, as Tae and Jimin argued about which game they should play next. He was wondering if he could excuse himself from work tomorrow — because there was no way he was going to get a decent sleep tonight — when Jeongguk suggested that they play truth or dare next.

Yoongi scoffed and declared it was a boring kids game, but even he wasn’t immune to Tae’s puppy look and his ‘Please, hyung’.

Namjoon was first to relent, and the others followed along.

Seokjin should have seen it coming. But at that moment, he hadn’t been paying much attention, and he didn't think much of Jimin’s barely suppressed grin. Hoseok nodded enthusiastically, and the others agreed. How bad could it be, right?

Apparently, he had underestimated the little s.

The questions weren’t a problem. And the dares were silly but a lot of fun. Namjoon kept rolling his eyes but he laughed along with them when he was forced to dance, and Jeongguk was never one to back off a challenge.

After a couple more rounds, just when Seokjin was thinking that he should just get blankets so they can all sleep here, Jeongguk turned to him.

“Hyung, truth or dare?”

“Dare.”

Jeongguk grinned, and that was when Seokjin realised it.

Seokjin glared at him, silently ordering him not to do it, but the brat’s grin only widened.

“I dare you to kiss Hoseok-hyung.”

Instantly, Jimin and Tae started to make ridiculous kissing noises. Even Namjoon was chuckling quietly.

Well, guess who’s going to sleep on the ing floor tonight.

He rolled his eyes, trying to keep an indifferent face and ignoring the laughs around him. He could refuse to do it and just go to sleep. Hoseok wouldn’t talk about it again and he would deal with the others later. He figured that they would let it go and stop teasing him about it at some point. Maybe. Hopefully.

Seokjin darted a glance at Hoseok, whose eyes were a bit wide, but he didn’t look revolted as Seokjin dreaded. When their eyes connected, Hoseok smiled his usual bright smile that could light up Seokjin’s entire day.

Seokjin found himself getting closer and before his mind processed what he was doing, his lips connected with Hoseok’s.

Someone whistled and Yoongi whined, mumbling something, but Seokjin was too fixed on Hoseok’s soft lips to process anything else.

He realised that he was kissing Hoseok longer than was deemed necessary and quickly backed away, a million excuses battling in his mind to get out first but all of them came to a halt. Hoseok’s eyes fluttered open, wide with shock, but there was something soft in them that left Seokjin blushing even more than he already was.

The room was silent, the seconds dragging on as Seokjin desperately tried to think of something to say.

“Wow, I didn’t think he’d actually do it,” Jimin muttered at last.

“Told you,” Jeongguk said. Taehyung nodded, looking like a proud father.

Then, simultaneously, the three of them burst into laughter. Seokjin was for once glad, just so that it would leave him with something to focus on other than his panicking thoughts

 


 

They all ended up sleeping at his and Yoongi’s place just as he thought. Jimin and Taehyung got blankets to everyone from inside, and they alongside Jeongguk ended up sprawled on the couches. Yoongi silently got up and took Namjoon’s hand, pulling him towards Yoongi’s bedroom. Seokjin thought about saying a couple of carefully chosen comments but decided to postpone it until the morning. The last thing he wanted was an annoyed Yoongi, as he still had three ers to deal with.

Hoseok looked at the clock, for some reason looking surprised that it announced that it was already 4 AM. “We are going to regret this when we go to work,” Hoseok muttered.

Seokjin wasn’t sure about that, because some part of him was already regretting it, the other part recalling the feeling of Hoseok’s lips against his over and over again.

Seokjin willfully pushed that memory aside and motioned for Hoseok to follow him.

He realised, as they entered Seokjin’s room, then that he couldn't make Hoseok or himself sleep on the floor in this cold weather as he first thought, and he only had one bed.

Normally, this wouldn’t be a problem; his friends were so used to each other that the aspect of personal space was almost forgotten to some of them. It was normal for him to wake up and find Jeongguk curled up next to him, mumbling about how it was damn cold it was outside.

But this was Hoseok, and he didn’t know what exactly he was comfortable with. Hoseok seemed to be thinking the same thing, as he shifted on the doorway.

“I can-”

“You aren’t going back home at this hour. No way,” Seokjin stated.

“Wasn’t planning to,” Hoseok said with a little grin. “I was just going to say that I can sleep on the floor if it would make you less awkward.”

“I’m not awkward,” he said defensively. Oh, who he was trying to kid? “I mean — It isn’t that-”

“I get it, hyung. It is okay.”

Seokjin let out a little laugh. “Okay, I’m exhausted. Let’s just go to bed.”

They moved silently after that, each accompanying a side of the small bed but still managing to not quite touch. But it wasn't awkward, Seokjin realised, as he stuffed his freezing hands under the pillow. Not at all.

 


 

Seokjin woke up to the sound of a loud alarm and sunlight attacking his face. He groaned, hiding under the covers. Someday, he was going to get a decent night of sleep on the last day of the weekend. Someday.

He finally turned around and blindly searched for the alarm until it shut up. He stayed in bed for an extra minute, fighting off sleep and reminding himself that if he didn't get off the bed and wake the rest up, then no-one would.

He turned around. Hoseok was still asleep, surprisingly not disturbed at all by the noise around him. He was lying on his side, his face to Seokjin, looking peaceful and without a care in the world. Seokjin was almost tempted to just let him sleep for the rest of the day.

With a sigh, he shook Hoseok’s arm slightly, ignoring the grumbling gibberish that came out of his mouth as he finally cracked an eye open.

“Good morning.” Seokjin yawned.

“Morning,” he murmured as he got up slowly. His hair was all over the place, and he had a small lazy smile on his face as he stretched. Seokjin could really get used to this every morning.

Seokjin shook himself out of his silly daze and got up as well.

After a couple of minutes of persuading and threatening to pull the covers with Jeongguk screaming, he finally managed to get the rest up. They all rushed around dressing and stuffing themselves with food before each disappearing to go about their business.

Seokjin was the last one to go, checking on everything one more time before he locked up. When he reached the door of the flat, he realised that Hoseok was still there.

“What are you still doing here?”,

“I’m already late.” Hoseok shrugged as if that was enough of an explanation. “And I wanted to ask you something before I lost all my courage.”

Seokjin felt a little flutter in his stomach that was almost like nerves, which was ridiculous, because he didn't get nervous. Not until Hoseok came along, anyway.

“What is that?” He asked, trying to feign ignorance and act totally indifferent, both which he utterly failed to do.

“Well, we have been hanging out for quite some time and it is really fun but I — uh -” Hoseok looked away and then back to him again. “I guess I just wanted to finally ask you on a proper date.”

“That sounds like fun,” Seokjin said, unable to stop his grin this time.

Hoseok smiled, bright and full of life. Seokjin barely stopped himself from kissing him again.

“Great! I uh — , I’m really late — I will call you and we can set up something, okay?”

“Okay,” he said and with that, Hoseok ran. Seokjin watched him until he disappeared down the stairs, thinking that maybe he didn't have to punish Jeongguk after all.