First Day

Catch Me When I Fall

Tiffany stepped into the GG Corporation office-building complex for the third time in her life. The office was located in Central Jakarta. The first time she stepped foot in the office was when she had her interview, the second time was when she signed her employment contract with GG Corporation, and now she was already an employee of GG Corporation. Tiffany smiled widely realizing the fact that she was part of one of the top ten best companies which also is her dream company. Her resignation process from her previous company did not take too long. As matter a fact the company offered her some appraisal to make her stay since Tiffany was one of their best employees, but it did not even come close to what GG Corporation had offered her, also, she no longer wanted to keep her relationship with Nick a secret anymore. So she turned down the appraisal and went forward with her resignation. As Tiffany expected, one month after she sent her resignation letter, she was fully ready to work for GG Corporation.

 

She walked around the office complex which had nine tall buildings, all belonged to GG Corporation. Tiffany noticed that they had a restaurant in each building except for the third building, which provided a coffee shop instead. The coffee shop where she met Taeyeon, a cute petite girl whom later on shocked her with the fact that she was the one who was going to be her superior. Tiffany smiled again as she recalled how interesting it will be to have someone who was the same age as her to be her boss. She noticed other things she had not realized before as she walked past. This office complex had a gym, swimming pool, tennis court, and even a beauty salon. Tiffany really wanted to check the membership fee for the gym and was disappointed when she noticed the ‘closed’ sign hanging on the door. She checked her watch to see the time, it was only 07:15. She came really early so she didn't arrive late on her first day. Tiffany then decided to make her way back to the familiar coffee shop she always visited when she came to this office complex.

 

She arrived in front of the coffee shop only to find the same ‘closed’ sign hanging on the door. Tiffany tried to peek through the café window to look inside, hoping someone was already inside the coffee shop. To her surprise, she saw a familiar small female figure sat in the exact same spot as she saw her before. Tiffany knocked the window to get the girl’s attention, which resulted the latter shifting her head to her direction. She smiled at the girl whom immediately stood up and walked to the door.

 

“Morning Taetae!” Tiffany excitedly greeted the petite girl as soon as Taeyeon opened the coffee shop’s door.

 

“Morning Fany,” Taeyeon greeted her back coolly while shifting her body to the side, making sure to give Tiffany some spaces to come into the coffee shop. Tiffany stepped in and made her way to the counter to order breakfast and found a young girl in charge instead of Chris. Taeyeon made her way back to her seat and resumed her breakfast while reading something on her iPad, she tried her best to calm her out of control heartbeat which continued to get faster as soon as she saw Tiffany. After ordering her meal, Tiffany walked to Taeyeon’s table.

 

“Can I join your table again?” Tiffany asked.

 

“Sure.” Taeyeon nodded without leaving her eyes from the iPad in attempt to focus on what she reading rather than her thumping heart.

 

“What are you reading, Tae?” Tiffany asked curiously, noticing how focused Taeyeon was.

 

“Company’s financial report and budget expenses. It’s been a tough year and I really need to make a careful tactical plan for our company without spending the budget overly,” Taeyeon replied still with her eyes glued on the iPad. Tiffany checked her watch, one more hour until work starts and here she was being totally ignored by Taeyeon. She unconsciously let out a sigh, which of course did not gp unnoticed by the latter.

 

“What’s with the sigh?” Taeyeon finally looked up. Tiffany immediately presented her with an eye smile, which definitely melted Taeyeon’s heart.

 

“Work-life balance, Tae. It’s still 7:20, working hour starts at 8:30AM and here you are already working,” Tiffany answered.

 

“Ah, right,” Taeyeon was a bit surprised with Tiffany’s remark. This was the first time someone reminded her about balancing her work and life. Most people usually leave her alone ever time she worked beside office hours. Taeyeon took once last glance at her iPad and tried to memorize what she was reading then she locked it and slid it into her bag.

 

“Do you work 24/7, non stop? Don’t you have time for friends, Taetae?” Tiffany blurted out her curiosity.

 

“Are you interrogating me, Fany?” Taeyeon smiled for the first time this morning, happy that Tiffany was being curious about her. Tiffany unconsciously smiled as she saw the latter’s smile.

 

“Let’s consider it that way. You interrogated me so much back then,” Tiffany answered nonchalantly.

 

“It was a job interview, Fany. I asked you questions to find out whether you meet our requirements or not. While your questions are about my personal life,” Taeyeon furrowed her brows and replied seriously.

 

“Why so serious? I’m kidding, Taetae. Should I order a cup of hot chocolate to help you relax?” Tiffany chuckled as she saw Taeyeon’s response. Taeyeon let out a soft chuckle as well.

 

“So, is it okay for me to interrogate you about your personal life?” Tiffany started the topic again. Taeyeon frowned and felt uneasy all of a sudden. She was happy that she could have another friendly moment with the girl before she needs to totally focus on her work, yet she felt hesitant to agree to the idea of her crush interrogating her about her personal life. Taeyeon was definitely afraid that the girl might question her about her ual preference. She might someday confess and let the girl know. But for now, she did not want to disgust the girl since it was still too early for Tiffany to know about that. Tiffany noticed the hesitation in Taeyeon’s eyes.

 

“Tae…” Tiffany called out.

 

“Hmm…?” Taeyeon replied while processing the answer for the latter’s previous request.

 

“We’re friends, right? Well, you sure are my line manager. But when we’re not within working hours, we’re friends, right?” Tiffany asked.

 

“Yes?” Taeyeon answered.

 

“Glad to know that you also see me as a friend. Sometimes I'm overly friendly that I come off as annoying,” Tiffany grinned at Taeyeon, changing the subject all of a sudden. The latter smiled in relief.

 

“No, you’re not annoying. In fact I admire your bubbly personality. Don’t you think that we’re pretty much the opposite of each other though? Sometimes I envy people like you,” Taeyeon confessed.

 

“Aaaw how could a person like you envy me, Tae? I don’t think you’re too difficult to approach. You are pretty friendly as a person even though you keep everything professional but somehow I feel comfortable around you. In addition, judging from how Chris playfully teases you, you’re not as scary as you let on,” Tiffany chuckled remembering how intimidated she was by Taeyeon.

 

“Ah, Chris is surely an exception. I’ve known him for five years. That’s why he can tease me anyway he wants. He knows that I won’t be angry at him.”

 

“Really? So, that means you’ve worked here for five years?”

 

“Yes. Ever since I graduated, I got a job offer here.”

 

“As expected from a smarty pants like you, Tae,” Fany playfully rolled her eyes, while deep down she admired the girl in front of her more and more.

 

The waitress later came over, bringing Tiffany’s order and asked Taeyeon whether she wanted to order another cup of long black since she her cup was empty. The latter politely declined the offer and the waitress left. Tiffany immediately tucked into her breakfast while Taeyeon checker with her iPhone.

 

“Oh, you followed my instagram, Fany?” Taeyeon who happened to open her instagram found a notification of Tiffany following her.

 

“Yes, like a month ago and you just noticed now?” Tiffany replied nonchalantly.

 

“I’m sorry. I rarely open my instagram. The last time I opened it was when I uploaded a picture, like two months ago.”

 

“What’s the fun of having instagram if you don’t even use it?”

 

“I don’t know. I’m trying to follow the trends, I guess.”

 

Tiffany laughed at Taeyeon’s remark. She did not expect a serious girl like Taeyeon to follow trends. She became a little more curious of her line manager. She thought befriending Taeyeon would be fun since the latter seemed to have a very different life to hers. They continued their morning talks until it was time for them to go upstairs and start working. They had another small argument about who should pay the bill and ended up agreeing to pay for their own breakfasts, so no one treated one another.

 

They took the elevator to the ninth floor. As soon as they reached the ninth floor, Taeyeon lead Tiffany to a room with the sign ‘Marketing Meeting Room’ hanging on it. Taeyeon asked Tiffany to take any seat since the meeting room was still empty. She decided to sit beside Taeyeon. Soon, one person followed by others joined the meeting room. Tiffany mentally counted the number of people in the room. Twenty-eight people, including her and Taeyeon. She assumed that most of the people in the room were about her age. As everyone took their seat, Taeyeon started the meeting.

 

“Good morning, team! Today, before we start our monthly meeting, I would like to introduce our new team member, Stephanie Hwang. Tiffany, please stand up and introduce yourself to the team. Or maybe you want me to do it for you? I might make up some facts about you though,” Taeyeon joked and the whole meeting room burst into laugh. Tiffany immediately stood up to introduce herself.

 

“Thanks Taeyeon but I prefer to do it myself instead of having you introduce me as a mother of four children," Tiffany replied to Taeyeon’s joke, once again the room was filled with laughter.

 

“Good morning ladies and gentlemen. My name is Stephanie Hwang but please call me Tiffany. Today is my first day here. What else should I tell you?” Tiffany introduced herself shortly.

 

“How old are you?” A girl sitting in the corner with a cold expression asked.

 

“I am twenty-six years-old. And I was born on August 1st just in case any of you are planning to give me presents,” Tiffany replied jokingly.

 

“Are you Korean? Your name has ‘Hwang’ in it,” A black haired girl who greeted Taeyeon in the coffee shop on the interview day asked.

 

“My parents are Korean, but I grew up in California, and I’ve been living in Indonesia since I was sixteen,” Tiffany answered.

 

“Wow! We have four Koreans in Taeyeon’s team! Taeyeon herself, me, Tiffany, and Jessica!” The girl chirped.

 

Oh, please Yuri. I’d rather choose to be called a California girl here,” The cold looking girl before protested in English to the black haired girl resulting another laugh in the room while some male employees started to sing California Girl by Katy Perry. Tiffany looked around while smiling, finding the meeting room’s atmosphere amusing.

 

“Okay, guys. Enough for Tiffany’s introduction. You can get to know each other at lunch time, okay? Tiffany, please take your seat. Let’s start our meeting, shall we?” Taeyeon asked and the whole room fell into silence while they opened their laptops and Taeyeon got busy connecting her laptop to the projector.

 

The meeting was indeed very serious and everyone in the room seemed to be really focused as Taeyeon got deeper into the meeting. No one played with their phone or looked sleepy during the meeting. It was a totally different ambiance for Tiffany, her previous company's meeting’s participants usually lost their focus as soon as the meeting started. Despite of the serious atmosphere, Taeyeon, without dropping her professional attitude, put in some smart jokes to lighten up the mood so the atmosphere would not be too tense. Tiffany tried her best to follow along in the meeting. There were a lot of things she was really clueless about but Taeyeon seemed to notice and briefly explained to her or paraphrased her words so Tiffany would understand. The meeting kept going on until Jessica suddenly spoke up.

 

“Taeyeon, it’s lunch time,” Jessica said. Taeyeon checked her watch and announced a break time.

 

“Why don’t we have lunch together for Tiffany’s welcoming party?” Yuri proposed. The rest of the room said a yes in unison, agreeing to Yuri’s idea.

 

“Okay, guys. Let’s have lunch together at the 5th tower’s restaurant,” Taeyeon agreed. The room cheered as everyone started to pick their phones and purses up and leave their other belongings in the meeting room. Tiffany followed the group while Taeyeon walked behind.

 

They arrived at the restaurant and placed their orders right away. Tiffany chose to sit beside Taeyeon again. Somehow Taeyeon’s calm self helped her to ease the nervousness of her first day at work. Even though she put up a bubbly appearance in front of the team, she was actually afraid that she was not smart enough to blend in with the rest of the group.

 

“Guys, I guess it’s time for you to introduce yourself to Tiffany. Tiffany already had her turn in the meeting room and now it is your turn,” Taeyeon suddenly spoke. The group agreed on the idea and started to introduce themselves one by one. Tiffany hardly remembered everyone’s name yet she managed to remember Jessica and Yuri since the two girls seemed very excited to meet another Korean in the team. The conversation in the group became light and friendly. It successfully got rid of Tiffany’s nervousness and she easily blended with them. Taeyeon smiled in relief noticing how fast Tiffany blended with the whole team, she then took her phone and took some photos. They finished their lunch and Taeyeon paid the entire bill, soon they were back in the meeting room again.

 

As soon as they entered, Taeyeon asked the whole team to discuss about a bellow, the line activity for the second semester and appointed Jessica to lead the meeting. Jessica immediately picked her laptop and made her way to the front as Taeyeon shifted her position to face Tiffany.

 

“You haven’t got the company’s induction, have you?” Taeyeon asked Tiffany.

 

“Not yet. I’m supposed to get it on my first day, right?” Tiffany answered.

 

“Yes, and I’m the one who responsible for that. So, let’s move to another meeting room to get you our company’s induction. Jessica can handle this discussion by herself,” Taeyeon explained as she took her laptop from the table. Tiffany nodded in agreement and both of them excused themselves from meeting room.

 

Taeyeon lead the way to a small room signed ‘Dealing Room’. There were only three chairs and one small table in the room. Taeyeon took a seat and placed her laptop on the table. Tiffany followed and sat beside Taeyeon.

 

“What’s a ‘dealing room’? And why is it smaller than the other rooms?” Tiffany asked.

 

“This room is usually used for sealing a deal between our representatives and our partner’s representatives or one on one conversation between line managers and subordinates or any other discussions that need privacy but do not need the space.” Taeyeon explained without diverting her gaze from her laptop, opening the induction presentation she had prepared for Tiffany. She then pushed her laptop slightly towards Tiffany so she could also see the screen. Tiffany squinted her eyes in effort to read the presentation without realizing she shifted herself closer to Taeyeon until Taeyeon’s right knee and her own left knee brushed. Taeyeon’s heart responded at the touch and began beating faster.

 

“If you can't see the presentation, you can have the laptop to yourself. I’ve memorized all the slides’ content,” Taeyeon quickly pushed the laptop closer to Tiffany and moved her chair slightly away to avoid any further physical contact.

 

“So let’s start from slide one and if I mention to move to another slide, please help yourself to click on another slide, okay?” Taeyeon explained before discussing further. She explained every single slide in a beautiful structure without missing any point even without looking at the presentation. She even remembered when to move to another slide and if they needed to go back to a previous slide, she could easily mention the slide number and asked Tiffany to click on it. The other girl tried to focus on the presentation Taeyeon gave while she was surprised by how good Taeyeon memorized everything in the presentation. The induction took the rest of working hours and when they finished, it was already five o’clock, while the working hour finished at 5:30. Both girls made their way back to the 'Marketing Meeting Room' to rejoin the meeting they left.

 

It was finally 05:30 as Jessica summarized today’s meeting. Everybody stretched their tensed bodies and packed their belongings, preparing to leave. One by one, Taeyeon’s team walked out the meeting room, leaving the four Koreans.

 

“Tiffany, did you bring car to office?” Yuri suddenly asked.

 

“No, I don’t own a car. I use public transport. Why Yuri?” Tiffany asked her back.

 

“Let’s have dinner together, then. Sica and I are going to try this new café by our office complex. Want to join? We can get you home soon after that,” Yuri offered.

 

“Ah, sure. The traffic is awful at this hour. Taetae, are you going to join us?” Tiffany offered Taeyeon. Jessica and Yuri looked at each other noticing the way Tiffany called Taeyeon ‘Taetae’, and also knowing that Taeyeon would decline the offer since their boss usually worked until ten o’clock.

 

“Well, I have nothing to do today and I don't have many meetings tomorrow. If Yuri and Jessica don't mind, I will gladly join you,” Taeyeon surprisingly agreed to the offer, resulting in a wide eyed Yuri, not believing in what she just heard.

 

“You sure, Taeyeon?” Jessica asked coolly. She was indeed surprised with their boss’ answer yet managed to keep her cool.

 

“Yes. As long as you don't mind me joining,” Taeyeon made her statement clear.

 

“O-okay then, shall we go now? Sica and I will bring our car. What about you, Tiff?” Yuri said.

 

“I think I will come in Taeyeon’s car. I have some questions related to our induction earlier today,” Tiffany answered. Yuri and Jessica soon left the room after telling Taeyeon and Tiffany the exact location of the new café they plan to visit.

 

“Come on, Tae! Shutdown your laptop already and let’s get going,” Tiffany stood up from her seat.

 

“Let me send one more email, please?” Taeyeon bargained, which made Tiffany slump into the chair again. The latter started to play with her phone, checking her instagram. She scrolled down the page, liked some photos, and stumbled into a picture posted by Taeyeon a couple hours ago. It was a picture of their lunch earlier that day with her side profile taking half of the frame and the rest of the team in the background. She read the caption:

 

@taeyeon_ss: Welcome to the company, Fany^^! Let’s work hard together! #NewEmployee #NewSpirit

 

Tiffany smiled and tapped the love icon on the bottom of picture. She found her boss really cute for posting the picture. She felt really welcomed.

 

“Let’s go, Fany!” Taeyeon’s voice snapped her out of her thoughts. Taeyeon was ready to leave and was holding her car keys in her right hand. Tiffany immediately stood up from her chair and followed Taeyeon out the room, out of the building, to the car park.

 

Taeyeon unlocked  her Mercedes-Benz SLK 200 and got into the car. Tiffany looked in awe to the car in front of her. She knew that Taeyeon’s salary must be a lot but to be able to afford this kind of car at such a young age still surprised her.

 

“Fany? Are you coming in?” Taeyeon’s voice successfully diverted Tiffany’s attention from the car. She quickly opened the car door and sat in the passenger’s seat, and buckled up the safety belt. Taeyeon started the car and drove out from the parking lot straight to the café mentioned by Yuri and Jessica. On their way there, Tiffany asked Taeyeon about the reporting system in the office as she noticed that she and Jessica were in the same department but had different titles. Jessica was the 'Marketing Manager' while Tiffany’s title was 'Junior Marketing Manager' It was a bit confusing because her direct report was to Taeyeon instead of Jessica. Taeyeon explained that GG Corporation used a matrix organization system, which made some certain layer of positions able to report directly to a higher level above them but Jessica as her senior also would be partly responsible for her performance. Tiffany kept asking questions about the organizations and some of her colleagues to Taeyeon since she felt way more comfortable with Taeyeon outside of office hours. She knew that she had to adapt fast to Taeyeon’s professional mode but for her first day at work, she thought it was nor a crime to have this side of Taeyeon answering her hopefully-not-stupid questions about her new job.

 

Both girls finally arrived at a homey café. The café was definitely newly opened since there were a lot of empty parking spots. Taeyeon parked her car near the entrance door. Tiffany entered the café followed by Taeyeon. She scanned around the café to find her two new co-workers, soon spotting Yuri sitting side by side with Jessica. Tiffany waved her hand to get her attention. Both girls made their way to their friends’ table while Jessica waved to the waiter, asking for menu. Taeyeon took her seat across from Yuri, while Tiffany sat beside her, facing Jessica. The waiter brought the menu to their table. The four girls looked at the menu briefly then placed their orders. A cup of hot long black for Taeyeon, a cup of hot chai tea for Tiffany, a glass of iced Americano for Yuri, and a cup of hot cappuccino for Jessica.

 

“Wow! Taeyeon! This is our first time hanging out with you. It’s a pleasure for us,” Yuri said as soon as the waiter left.

 

“Really? You guys never hung out with Taeyeon before?” Tiffany looked surprised.

 

“Yes, Yuri’s right. I usually stay in the office until ten o’clock to finish some work or prepare for the next day’s meeting,” Taeyeon answered, followed with nods from Yuri and Jessica.

 

“Then I should consider myself lucky to get this opportunity on my first day. Even though it’s actually my third time having tea time with Taeyeon,” Tiffany said.

 

“Really, Tiff? You are super lucky then! It’s not easy to ask her out,” Jessica responded.

 

“Yah, Sica! Your sentence sounds like Tiffany asked Taeyeon out on a date,” Yuri laughed at Jessica’s remark, making Jessica and Tiffany burst into laughter while Taeyeon smiled sheepishly wondering if Tiffany would really ask her out on a date someday.

 

 



 

Chapter four is ready to be read now! Tiffany is finally on her first day at work and yes, Taeyeon is her boss! I wonder how could Taeyeon keep herself calm around Tiffany. I mean, Tiffany is her crush! Come on, Tae! Make some progress please. LOLOLOL. I hope you like this chapter.

Anyway, there were some confusion about what language do they speak. As the setting of this story is in Jakarta, they always speak Indonesian. If there are any English or Korean sentence in the conversation, I will make them in italic format so you can differentiate. Thanks for pointed out the confusion so I can do something about it quickly. Please do not hesitate to tell me other inputs ^_^

As usual, thanks for all subscribers and commenters. Please do not leave me >.< also thanks to IM_mitha and coolintot for the upvote! >.<

PS. Sorry for the late update. My boss finally approved my leave request and I decided to have some vacation and being in my hermit mode for days. So I was away from my laptops these days. But here I am back to AFF. I noticed some new subscribers, also read all your comments because I still opened AFF from my tab but since the internet connection was kind of irritating, I rarely replied back. Sorry for that >.<

 

TY so much,

Kim SaRa

 

E/N: Hi guys! I'm the editor of this story and I know it took awhile but I really hope you enjoy it! Kim SaRa and I, have put a lot of hard work into this fanfic.

Thanks alot!

Coolzab123