MEETING 02. Remember This.

4xU. The ComeBack: AWARD SHOW SEASON!

MEETING 02. - Nothing's Going to Stop Us.

 



"Oh come on, just tell us where we're going!" Sophie whined from the backseat of the car, backpack firmly in her arms and chin on the passenger's seat. The two youngest members of the trio were all but ushered and hurried out of the practice room, into the dorm to get a backpack of basic necessities and clothes, then crammed into the car where a company employee drove them somewhere, with their leader quiet about the whole ordeal. 

"I know that there was arguing, but we shouldn't run away!" Sophie declared, starting to make up stories about why they were leaving and where they were going. "Oh, are we going to Pledis? Let's go see Sol's pretty brother and his pretty friends!" She laughed, mimicking the 'Pretty U' point choreography as Clara just smiled awkwardly, holding tightly onto her own little knapsack as she silently worried about the situation.

JJ sighed from the passenger's seat, "We're just going to stay somewhere for the night. They've got a lot of things to work through, and we shouldn't interrupt." 

Sophie scoffed from her seat, "I KNOW you don't believe that. Come on, what's going on? JJ, you gotta talk to us here, we're dying of curiousity --" She glanced over at Clara, who seemed to be content with being quiet and looking at the bright lights of Seoul's night life without questioning her leader, "...Fine, I'm dying of curiousity. Tell meeeeee~" She tried whining again, raising her voice an octave to see if it would work to her advantage.

"Listen," JJ glanced over, tone firm but gentle, "I know it's difficult to understand, but we can't be there for this. This is for them. We have no idea what they're going through right now."

Sophie twisted her face into another look of disbelief. "S-she's right, you know... E-even though we're all debuting, t-they have a lot m-more emotional s-stake in this." Clara spoke up, glancing towards the girls before looking at her knapsack once more. JJ looked over, smiling.

"Thank you, Jinnie. We'll be at the hotel soon, okay?"
 



It took all but thirty minutes to get checked in and into their hotel room, with no fans previously knowing their plans and with JJ being a pretty effiecient person. Regardless, Sophie immediately flopped on the bedside of the first bed she approached, splaying out and claiming it for her own. The three got comfortable in silence, occasionally catching a glance here or there, but never the less the atmosphere being more awkward than it usually was.

"I can't take it anymore, oh my god!" Sophie blurted, the silence and tension not sitting well with her usual silly disposition. "Are we just expected to sit here and twiddle our thumbs while the others have bonding-therapy time or whatever it is they're doing???"

"Well, I thought we could have a relaxing evening together without much worry, since Su-chin did want us to bond ourselves..." JJ shyly admitted, after all Su-chin had given her permission to use it that night to ensure that the three were taken care of, and told her if they wanted, they could cheat on their diet a little, after all, she was probably going to feed the other five junk too. "But if you really want to work, Sophie, I can start the playlist of our debut songs and you can rehearse more..."

"No no no no no no yours is a MUCH better idea." Sophie scrambled for JJ's iPod to ensure that she wouldn't actually go through with it. Their youngest couldn't help but burst into a fit of giggles at the sight, which made everyone laugh for a few moments.

"Alright, we won't go overboard, but let's get some food in us -- here, let's see what they've got." JJ pulled out the room service menu, and the younger two crowded around her to look at the shoulder to pick out their dinner. Once they had decided, JJ put in a phone call and got the order confirmed, "Okay, so it'll be about an hour until our food gets here... So what do you guys want to do?" 

Sophie shrugged, looking around the room. "We could... watch TV, I think there's a new episode of--" But before she could reach the remote, JJ had swiped it from her grasp, holding it to her chest.

"Oh no, the last time you had absolute control of the remote, we came back with you and Jinnie scared out of your wits, you guys even made lines of salt everywhere in the dorm and both of you slept in your roommate's beds. I do care for you girls but this bed is too small for three." JJ dismissed the idea, "We can watch TV with whatever Jinnie wants." She handed the remote to the youngest, who looked at the other two with wide eyes.

"Uhm... a-are you sure?" She asked, switching her vision to the remote, to the other two, and to the TV. Both of them nodded. "Yeah, of course, just find something you like!"

Clara clicked the power button and watched the TV spring to life. "O-okay..."

"Oh! Can we watch this?" She suddenly spoke up, pointing to the screen with newfound excitement.

"Is that -- oh my god, is that the original Little Shop of Horror?" JJ asked, looking at the familar film in shock. Clara nodded eagerly. 

"I-- I'm actually speechless. I didn't know you liked movies like this." Sophie blinked as she watched the cheesy film. The youngest just shrugged, more enraptured with the plot than what she said. 

JJ laughed, "Not to be rude, Jinnie, but do you really understand what's going on?" 

"Uhmmm... No. B-but I really like old American movies!" Clara nodded, finally glancing over at her two groupmates. Her honesty never ceased to get a laugh out of the group, and the other two soon settled into the movie. Sophie, though, fidgeted as the movie continued on. It wasn't like she didn't like the movie, but... she was so restless from having to stay still for the long while it took to get here, so she was looking for something to do while the others were into the movie.

"Aha!" She spotted something, and quickly grabbed her bed's pillows, comforter, and sheet and stripped them off the bed, catching both of the other's attention.

"What on earth are you doing??" JJ asked, watching Sophie drag the mound of bedding towards the sitting area.  "Shhhh, just let me work. Go back to your movie." Sophie waved her off, and JJ just blinked, unsure of whether to feel offended or not at Sophie's casual language, but eventually reasoned that Sophie was Sophie, and it was best to let her be. 

There was a knock on the door at the same time that Sophie stood up, proud of her work and yelled, "Ta-daaaaa!" 

JJ didn't get the chance to look, she had concerned herself with getting the food and thanking the waiter, only to turn and see the other two wiggling their way into --

"Sophie, did you really just built a pillow fort in our hotel room?" JJ asked with wide eyes as she set down the food on the table in front of the fort. Sophie grinned and nodded eagerly. "Yeah, whatcha think? Pretty cool, huh?"

JJ sighed and smiled fondly, "You're so silly."

"Yes, but Clara's enjoying herself, come onnnnn! Join us in our fortress!" Sophie pleaded, attempting to be cute, only to hide her face in her pillow seconds later, groaning. "Nope, still can't be cute. Sorry, Sol, you must be the cute one." Clara giggled as she hugged her pillow tighter to her chest.

"See? Cute. Always cute." Sophie gestured, making JJ laugh as well. "Alright, scoot over, I'm coming in." JJ smiled, making herself comfortable in Sophie's old place and surprisingly, the fit wasn't uncomfortable, just a bit snug. 

The food was then remembered, and the next passage of time was spent eating and occasional jokes and comments about little individual things about their days, texts they've received, calls they've made, costume fittings, anything that came to mind.

"My phone is always on silent. Always." Clara nodded when the girls asked why the youngest never seemed to be aware of funny exchanges in the group's group chat. 

"What, why?"

"When you have a brother in a boy group, you end up gaining those boys as brothers as well." She nodded, "S-so now I have 13 brothers arguing and talking all the time. So it's easier just to keep it on silent. I hope jiejie didn't turn it on on accident, that'd be so embarrassing!" 

"It must be interesting having famous siblings..." Sophie noted, "Or just having siblings in general." 

"It's got positives and negatives, I suppose." JJ admitted, "As I'm sure being an only child does as well."

"Yeah, but like, with famous siblings, you have to be more careful right? Because one wrong move can seriously hurt them and you if you're in a career as well, it seems." Sophie pointed out, more towards JJ this time than anything.

JJ nodded, "I guess so. With Jessica and Krystal, it definitely gives me more of a high profile in some cases, especially when they mentioned me in interviews and in pre-debut pictures, but really, it puts a lot of pressure if you've had siblings debut before you. People will expect you to either be just as good as them at the same thing or at something else. You get compared a lot, and if I'm being honest... I don't think I'll like it all that much." JJ thought back on all the times Krystal had been criticized for not being more like Jessica, or visa versa, and not to mention when Jessica was kicked out of SNSD... A lot of people weren't exactly kind to either of them. 

"Yeah, I mean, you have two really huge names, but I think you'll be fine! You're really talented, you know? It's gonna be hard to disappoint anyone with all the effort you've put in." Their main vocalist encouraged.

"I agree with Sophie." Clara nodded, hugging her pillow closer to herself. JJ smiled, "Thanks hon, but what about you?"

"Hm?" Clara blinked, unsure of what her elder meant. 

"I mean about your brother. His group is really skyrocketing in popularity, do you ever get worried about being compared?" JJ asked. 

"Well..." Clara thought about it, "In school we weren't really able to be compared that much because of our age difference and the f-fact that he was always into singing and dancing, I was m-more into my instrument and studies, honestly. It wasn't exactly easy to make any comparisons other than the fact that we g-got off and on the same bus stop." She tugged on her hair a little, "I-if I'm being honest... it's more n-nervewracking when I think of being compared to you guys."

"Really?" JJ asked, "How so?"

Clara twisted a strand of her hair, "I-it's just, I'm so much younger than e-everyone, so we can't d-do concepts that other members want to d-do... I'm s-scared that people will t-think that I should've b-been debuted later..." 

Sophie twisted up, "I mean, yeah we're not able to do like, mature concepts right now, and I think that kind of --" JJ hushed her, "Sophie!" 

"I didn't mean it like that -- Honestly!" The girl defended, looking at their leader with her arms up. Clara's face twisted up. "I-i'm sorry...."

"No! No, hon, don't apologize." JJ comforted, "Sophie said she didn't mean it like that, and I know she means it. But what I think she's trying to say is that while yes, I'll admit, mature concepts for the majority might fit better considering our ages," Clara squirmed, "We would never want to have this group without you. It wouldn't be 4xU without any single one of us in it. So we need you to make ths group complete. And if that means we have to wait, what, two years? To explore those kinds of concepts, then I think it'll be well worth the wait." She patted the youngest's shoulder gently. 

"T-thank you, unnie... I feel a lot better..." Clara admitted, nodding her head. JJ smiled. "Well, why don't we all share a fear about debut then. Jinnie's already gone, so we go, but then we tell a strength, something we know we can accomplish as 4xU. Good?"

They both nodded. JJ smiled, "Alright, I'll go first, Sophie, if you don't want to...?" Sophie gave her the all clear signal, and JJ swallowed, "Alright, so my biggest fear is... This isn't what I want." She paused, gathering her thoughts.

"What I mean by that is... I've been training for so long, almost as long as Jinnie's been alive, really, that it's hard to imagine any life that's not that. I'm honestly nervous that I'll get on that stage and realize 'I don't want this. This is wrong.' Because what I could do then? I'd have no idea where to go." 

"Would you leave us? If that's what would make you happy?" Sophie asked quietly. JJ's reaction was instant, "No! Never! I made a promise to this group, to my contract, to the company. I'd carry out my contract and then once it expired leave from then. I'd never do that to you girls. Ever. I promise that right now." 

"I guess that kinda leads into my fear: I don't want to be left behind." Sophie offered, transferring attention onto her instead of lingering on a now quiet leader, "Because I went back and forth between Auckland and Seoul, I never really kept in touch with a lot of people, and no one really wanted to try. I'm scared that you guys will all be able to find a match within the group and I'll be left alone." She nodded.

Clara shook her head, "That's not true, Chai-unnie would f-follow you to the ends of the earth. She adores you. W-we all do..." She ducked her head. Sophie smiled. "I guess... Thanks, Sol." 

"Well, okay. We've voiced our major fear, now that's voice our biggest hope and dream for 4xU or for our careers. It'll outweigh the negativity." JJ directed, feeling the negative feeling starting to sink into the group and that was the last thing she wanted. 

"Rock, paper, scissors for order?" She also offered, knowing the competitive nature of the girls. They nodded, and even ethusastically shouted the chant and the order was decided: JJ, Clara, and then Sophie last again. 

"I think you cheat, Sophie." The oldest teased, and Sophie stuck her tongue out. "I am just a master, and you have much to learn, unnie." She drawled the last word in an attempt to sound sarcastic, but JJ just rolled her eyes playfully. 

"Okay, my biggest dream... Well I have two. Both are really ambitious, but I want us to win a triple crown on music shows by our third anniversary. As for a personal dream, I'd like to try acting. I've taken a lot of classes and really enjoy it, so it'd be fun to try when we're not promoting." She revealed, smiling a little at the gasps and wide eyes her first wish involved.

"That's... that's a big dream unnie!" Clara blinked, "But... it would be really impressive if we got that popular, can you imagine?" Sophie added on, smiling at the idea. 

"Unnie,a-acting would suit you! Y-you always turn out w-well on camera!" Clara continued to encourage, and JJ just blushed a little at the praise. "Thanks, hon, but we'll see. Your turn!" 

"A-ah... H-hm..." Clara thought, "I want us to win t-the Rookie Award!" She decided, nodding. "I-i know that m-my brother was so happy w-when they won it... I-i'd like to w-win something like t-that too." 

"And what about a personal goal?" The other two urged her to think and dream. 

Another pause for her to gather her thoughts, "I-i guess I would l-like to do s-something with my brother? O-or Yeri! I-i'd like to do a c-collaboration unit a-at some point."

"That'd be so cute, you and your brother performing, Like AkMu! Or with Yeri, both would be really adorable to watch!" Sophie grinned, giggling over the concept of Clara and her brother or with her friends.

"N-now you!" Clara blushed, hiding her face in the pillow at Sophie's cooing and trying to embarrass her (which was working really, really well).

Sophie took a moment to compose herself, "Alright, well, my group idea is to do a tough girl concept -- or even better, girl crush concept!" She nodded, "It'd be nice to do something different than the other groups that are pretty popular, eh?" Both of the girls nodded, agreeing with the idea.

"Personally, and this is kinda selfish, I'll admit, but I'd really like a solo debut." She admitted, "I just want to show my own unique ideas and songs to the world. It'd be a good experience, I think." 

"You could definitely do it, Sophie!" JJ said, "It'll take some time, but if you play your cards right, you'd be a wonderful soloist!" 

"Mhm!" Clara nodded into her pillow. The other two looked over, finding their youngest almost completely passed out. 

"Awwww, so cute!" Sophie cooed, making pinching motions at the cheek not squished into the pillow. JJ laughed, shaking her head. "Looks like it's time for us to get to bed."

"I'm feeling a bit buggered myself, now that I'm aware of how late it is..." Sophie let out a yawn, stretching her arms above her head. "Better get to bed soon, eh?"

"Yeah, let's do that." JJ agreed, shaking Clara awake gently. "Hey hon, you can sleep after you brush your teeth, okay?" She led the sleepy girl to the bathroom as Sophie started to disassemble the fort, piling the bedding onto the bed. 

"...I'm going to be a true Kiwi tonight and make a nest." She told herself, before grabbing her own toothbrush and joining the other two in the bathroom. It was going to be a blur at the showcase, and she might not remember all of it, but one thing was for sure, she'd always remember this night with these two.


 

Author's Note
 Well danG IT. I'm so so behind -- but all of this has a lot of emotional stuff in it and THIS CHAPTER MADE ME REALLY EMOTIONAL FOR SOME REASON???? idk why, but I was like "nOPE CAN'T RN" BUT now that we've got that stuff (mostly) out of the way, the showcase can finally be my focus and be up SOON! I really hope you guys aren't too upset about my slow updates -- But please let me know what you think! Is there anything specific you'd like to see in the showcase, i.e. questions asked, variety segments, special requests? :> ((Also variety show requests are welcomed if you'd want~)) Love you guys <3
blue_gem_diamond_jewel.png