Ch 03

It Was Summer

 

 

 

"Hi. You asleep?"

It's 2:48 am and I texted her randomly. I wasn't really expecting any reply from her at this time so I put my phone aside and shove the blanket off my feet. It's so hot in here.

Unexpectedly my phone vibrated, I checked my phone, there was a message so I unlocked my phone.

"Let's break up." I read the dimwit's message. I got furious and texted back.

"Good, cause I was getting sick of you !"

"Me ? I wonder why I liked you in the first place. You have a y personality I was so tired of pleasing you always." When I read this message I can feel my blood rising from my nape as it got hot from anger. I can't believe this guy would talk to me like this. Who the hell he think he is?!

"  Y O UUUUUU!1!!11!!!! DIE!!!!!!!!!" I don't know what else to reply I'm just so furiously angry at the moment. All I can think are curse words to him. I hope he really dies. Tears fell from my eyes because of anger. I wanna shout but I can't hence the night is as loud as my thoughts. I feel like I'm out of voice even though I wasn't shouting. My heart is aching, it hurts so much. I was reminiscing the days we spent together and I thought to myself if what kind of girlfriend I was. Did he get tired because of my personality? Am I at fault because he's like that to me? I keep pondering to myself.

 

It was 10:00 am, I was told to go downstairs to eat breakfast. I thought aunt or Rennee was the only person in the dining room because I wouldn't care much if they pry because my eyes were so puffy from crying. But when I came down the stairs all of them were present.

"Good morning." Aunt greeted me. "Oh Jesus, what happened to your eyes?"

"Who made my baby cry?" Dad put his coffee down as he set aside the newspaper he was holding.

"It's nothing." I groaned.

"Don't say it's nothing if you didn't cry 'til morning. Look at those puffy eyes." Dad looked at me seriously in the eyes when I took a seat.

"I think they broke up." Mom inserted while she was putting the dish and chopsticks on the table.

"If I had known I would punch that guy!"

"It's not worth it dad." I sighed.

 

Rennee didn't mind so she turns around and continued washing the frying pan while aunt Seola went outside the house.

"Oh it is, alright? Give me his number ,or or, I could just search him on Facebook. What's his name?" He grabbed his Galaxy Note and logged on his Facebook. Yes, he has a Facebook. Even my mom also has it. They wanted to get in touch with their high school and college friends so they asked me to teach them how to use it. And when they already know how to use it, I immediately made a second account just for family. I just wanna be safe, I don't want them to see the contents I share on my Facebook.

"Seung Won give your daughter space." Mom glared at dad to shut his mouth. "Fuel your tummy first." She scoop my a cup of friedrice.

"Not hungry mom." I stood up to get back to my room and sleep my thoughts away.

***

I can feel the vibration, strangely the ringtone didn't wake me up but the vibration did. It was so annoying it cut off my sleep. Irritated, I answered my phone.

"Hello?" I heard a girl's voice.

"Hello? Who's this?" I wrinkled my nose, wondering.

"Seulgi? Is this you right?" The realization hit me as I recognized the voice. I got up and sit up straightly on my bed,  rubbing my eyes.

"Oh Irene! H-hi! Sorry I..." I'm stupidly stuttering, but for a minute I was really surprised she called but then I remembered I texted her first without telling her it was me. "Sorry I wasn't able to tell you that it was me."

"It's ok. I have a feeling anyway that it was you but I have to make it sure though." She paused. "I keep texting but you didn't reply so I called."

I immediately checked my inbox and she did message me.

"Oh sorry about that, I was sleeping. I mean I woke up but t-then..." I cut as I heard her chuckled on the phone.

"Talk slowly, you seemed panicking."

"I am. I-I don't know why, so weird, sorry."

"No it's not weird."

"Sorry."

"Stop saying sorry, what are you sorry for."

"Ah Sorry."

She laughed. "Ok it's weird if you keep saying sorry."

"S-sorry. Oh my god help me I can't stop saying sorry. Sorry, I'm weird, I know." I facepalmed myself for being ridiculously happy for hearing her voice. "Thanks for calling, It was soothing hearing your voice right now."

"What happened is there something wrong?"

I bit my thumb.

"Is it ok if I talk to you about this, I mean, will you hear me out?"

"I'll listen, my ears are all yours."

I talked to Irene about what happened to me and my ex, and suddenly we just talked random stuff, strangely it felt so good talking to her. Or maybe it felt good if you just say what's inside you, rather than bottling it up. If not for Irene, I think I have no other outlet in sharing what I feel today. But Rennee can be a candidate for a listener, although I'm just happy I talked to Irene about this. We're in the same age anyway, she'd understand and I bet she experienced this kind of stuff.

"Seulgi."

"Yes?" 

"Oh my, look at the time."

I can hear her yawning. It was contagious, it made me yawn too. We talked a lot of stuff and I didn't notice that it was already 2 am. 

"I didn't notice that until you pointed out." 

"Me neither, it just came to my mind to look at the wall clock behind me." Irene paused. "We'll talk another time right?" 

The way she said those words felt so fluttering. I inhaled sharply. 

"Of course, unless you don't want to." I bit my lips and played with my bangs. 

"Of course I want to! I like you." 

"Huh?" I choked for a second. Did I hear it right? 

"No, I mean I like talking to you." For a minute my heart skipped a beat from what I heard. "I mean who wouldn't. You were fun to talk to, it feels like–" 

"We have mutual feelings?" I suddenly blurted it out without thinking. I was too happy talking to her right now, but I think I ended our friendship so fast. 

"What? Lol Seulgi that sounded weird. Hahaha!" I heard her laugh, thank god.

"For a second I thought it was FO." 

"FO? What's that?" 

"Friendship over. You know,  'cause I said something weird." 

"You are a bit weird, but definitely a good kind of weird. I don't understand why your ex-boyfriend wanted to break up with you. He just wasted someone as precious as you." 

It's been months since felt like this. But this one is much crazier than what I felt when I met that jerk. Forget butterflies, I feel the whole zoo inside my tummy.

"Seulgi, for real, let's sleep now." I can hear her background as she switches off the light. 

"Ah yeah yeah. Goodnight then. I'll call you tomorrow." 

"Yeah just call, same time. Goodnight sweet dreams." 

"Sweet dreams." And the call ended. I stared at the purple wall and remembered what we were talking back then, it made me giggle. Definitely, I felt the whole zoo.

I gasped. 

"I'm so weird." I scratched my left brows as I stood up to turn off the lights. I laid on the bed watching the bright moon by the window as it gives light to the dark night and all I can think of was Irene on my mind.

***

"Do you have any errands for me because I'll buy it."

"Ask your aunt." Rennee told me when she was watering the flowers. 

"I did but she told me to ask you." I looked at her as I put my hands in my pockets. I was observing her carefully as the sun kissed her flawless tan skin. She was gorgeous, I've never seen someone so gorgeously watering the flowers.

"You've moved on so fast." She moved to the left, watering the flowers. "Have you realized your preference?" 

My brain was processing for a bit I didn't get what she said. 

"You know what,  that's ok because it's part of growing up and there's always a room for self-discovery." She winked, and by that, I kinda get what she meant. 

"No no no–"

"If I were you I'd just go to Irene and talk to her." She shooed me and I didn't even retaliate to what she said. My body just automatically grabbed the bike and pedaled my way to Bae's mini-mart.

When I was on my way, I stopped by to a local flower shop near the church. I decided to buy a bouquet of pink flowers for her.  Crazy. I looked like a cheesy teenage boy giving this bouquet to her girlfriend. I pondered. When was the last time I received a bouquet of flowers? I thought to myself, I never liked someone giving me flowers. I always tell them in advance that I don't like it. It's too cheesy and waste for me. I think it's not practical since flowers will just wither and die, just like a relationship, beautiful at first and in the end it won't last. But I still bought the flower anyway. I handed the money to the florist and she thanked me.

Again, I must be crazy! I put the bouquet in the basket in front of my bike and pedaled my way to her. When I arrived there with a bouquet of flower, I saw her in the counter, greeting me.

"Annyeong haseyo! Welcome to Bae Mart." She flashed her brightest smile.

I waved at her but the view was blocked by her father.

"Annyeong haseyo Mr. Bae." I was a bit nervous as I looked at him.

"Ahh, Seulgi, was it?" He looked at his daughter in confirmation.

Irene nodded. "Appa..." She slowly approached us with a half smile. "Seulgi and I will be roaming in town today."

"We will?" I furrowed my brows as I looked at her in question.

She slipped her hands on my arm. I'm even more confused.

"I told Seulgi yesterday that I'll tour her around town."

I'm dumb. I'm really dumb right now.

"Ah why didn't you say so?"

"Appa, I told you this morning but you just forgot." Irene shook her head.

Mr. Bae scratched his head. "Ah! Hahaha sorry, I'm so forgetful these days. You know I'm getting old." He chortled. "What are those bouquet for?"

"A-ah t-this..." Stuttering, I looked at Irene and the bouquet back and forth but I can't really look at him directly in the eyes. 

"This is for you." I said to Mr.Bae without a second thought. I can see Irene looking at me with a wry smile. I swear to God that this is so awkward I needed to come up something.

"Did Rennee told you to give this to appa?" Irene removed her hands from my arm and touched the flower. Thank God Irene helped me there.

"Yeah she did, she told me to say thank you for the...you know, everything. Heh." I smile wryly as I gave the bouquet to Mr. Bae.

"Oh she doesn't have to." He smiled. "Tell her I said thanks."

Irene was near the door, she beckoned me to go.

I slowly paced backward, left hand in my pocket as my right hand brushed my hair.

"I'll definitely tell her." I replied.

We got out the mini-mart and Irene opened their garage. I just realized that their mini-mart is also their house. Their business is doing well since there's no other competitor, and I think it's much cheaper than other Korean stores? I'm not sure, I'm just guessing.

"Seulgi." She called. "Leave your bike here."

"Why? Don't you have your bike?" I pushed my bike inside the garage.

"Let's just ride my scooter." She took the sheet off that was covering the scooter.

"Wow that's a cool scooter you got there."

"Thanks, I got this from my graduation last year."

"Wow you graduated early? You must be smart."

"Not really, the education system here in the Philippines is different, but they just changed it recently."

She got a piece of cloth and wiped the scooter's seat. The scooter looks cool, it's white and neat. I can tell it's brand new so she's really taking care of it.

"What's that model?"

"Yamaha Fascino. This is a second hand scooter."

"Wow really? It looks new."

"The owner was appa's friend. He told him he didn't drive this much because he has other vehicles and this looks kinda girly for him to drive."

I looked at the distance meter and I can tell it didn't travel any long distance at all.

"Funny story, this was a gift for her girlfriend but his girlfriend cheated him for an American guy."

"Eh why would she do that? I can tell your dad's friend is loaded if she's just after the money."

"You see, that Filipina thought dollar is greater than Korean won so she chose the American."

I just nodded in approval, thinking girls like her didn't want true love, but money. Money is the source of evil. But I think it's not, humans made the money system, therefore we are all evil.

"Seulgi, come." She handed the helmet to me as I rode behind her. We both put our helmets on.

"Hold on so you won't fall." She grabbed my hands and let me wrapped it around her. I was a bit nervous touching her waist.

"You ready?"

I looked at her on the scooter's side mirror. 

"Yeah." 

I changed my mind, everyone is not evil. There's always a kind soul out there.