Tutor

Dancing to His Rhythm

 

Taeyang? Who was this Taeyang? Seunghyun wondered as he waited for Jiyong to exit the bathroom. They were headed for the cafeteria, the only place in this hellhole that was worthwhile. He had his eyes set on this double chocolate muffin for desert that he had seen this morning as he had passed by on his way to class. He used to be pretty fat so he usually regulated his calorie intake quite rigorously, but after what he had been through, he deserved to indulge himself a bit. Eating his feelings, that was something he was good at. Dancing, not so much.

 

Entering the cafeteria, Seunghyun's attention was immediately drawn to this tiny little thing with sunglasses, acting like he was the king of the world. And apparently he was, for all eyes were on him, understandably so, he was probably the cutest thing he had ever seen. He looked like a celebrity, a miniature version. All he had to do was move his little finger and the crowd gave an audible reaction. He did move it with a lot of grace, but still.

“Seunghyun..” when Jiyong poked his shoulder to get his attention, he realized that he had been completely mesmerized by that mini-egoist. It could be construed as a snap judgment, but if one wore sunglasses inside, one was likely to be very full of oneself, that went without saying.

“Hey, who's that, over there?” he asked Jiyong, having a hard time tearing his eyes away from him.

“Oh, Youngbae? Only the best dancer in the entire school. A local legend.” Jiyong chuckled, clearly not surprised by his interest. “And that's his girlfriend, Minzy, the best female dancer in the school. It's really just like the plot from some generic high school movie, you know, the jock and the cheerleader, and everyone worships the ground they walk on.” he shook his head, both impressed and dismayed at the same time.

 

With Jiyong's help, Seunghyun managed to fill his plate with food, though he had paid no attention to what kind. Somehow his eyes kept wandering back to Youngbae's table, where everyone was hanging on Youngbae's every word, laughing and nodding on cue. It figured that he was straight, he thought disappointed. He felt a bit cheated, for common sense dictated that the percentage of gay guys should be higher within a dance major, but so far he was unimpressed.

He had thought he would at least get laid, that all his hardships and embarrassment would be a tiny bit worth it after charming half his class to bed. There were a couple of queens in his class, no doubt, but they didn't really catch his eye. Youngbae was the first guy to really grab his attention. His presence was so enchanting that even from across the room he had managed to put a spell on him.

Youngbae leisurely put his arm around Minzy, giving her a tiny peck on the cheek. The crowd around him went mental, causing him to giggle. He had the sweetest smile, but that just made it worse. Seunghyun's gut churned, threatening to return the two spoonfuls of soup he had just sent down there. After listlessly poking at his rice, he gave up and put his chopsticks down. He forced his eyes to depart with that lovely leprechaun, desperately trying to find something else to focus on.

“So, do you know who Taeyang is?” he asked Jiyong to distract himself.

Jiyong pointed in Youngbae's direction. Oh no, just his luck that he turned out to be in Youngbae's possy!

“Which one?” he sighed, scanning the group gathered around Youngbae, not sure which one of them he should hope he would be.

“It's Youngbae's nickname.” Jiyong snorted. Seunghyun swallowed his heart. No way. No frigging way. He was going to have to ask him for help? That was like going to Anthony Hopkins for help with the school play. Nobody was idiotic enough to do that! Great. His only hope was a superstar. A superstar with whom he was getting dangerously smitten. This just kept getting better and better.

“He got it because he is so good, that he's not just a star, he's the sun itself. He's only a year above us, but he's pretty much already conquered the world. He was the first guy ever to win the national university dance competition in his first year, normally it's only seniors that make it to the finals.” Jiyong explained, his voice filled with respect and admiration. Seunghyun glanced back at Youngbae, catching him laughing at something a guy at his table said. His smile was so bright that it outshone the sun itself, so his nickname was completely justified, apparently in more ways than one.

“Do you think he'd be willing to tutor me?” he asked in earnest. Jiyong snorted so hard and so unexpectedly that water came out his nose. Okay, that answered that. He was screwed, so so so screwed.

Even so, Jiyong was kind enough to tell him about Youngbae's not so secret 'secret training spot'. There was an abandoned studio in the basement that had unofficially become Youngbae's personal studio, so nobody dared set foot in there without his permission.

 

“Later.” he said to a groggy Seungri that had oh so reluctantly agreed to drive him to school, at dawn no less. Seungri grunted in protest. His eyes were extra puffy, making him look like the cutest panda ever. Uncharacteristically, Seungri was sober, not having gone with him to the club last night. He wasn't sure what was going on, maybe he was seeing someone?

“I drive you all the way here, and I don't even get a kiss for my troubles?” a disgruntled Seungri complained as he was halfway out of the car. He doubled back and gave him a very spicy kiss, waking him up and leaving him wanting more.

“See ya.” Seunghyun sent him a wink and headed for the school building, the path much wobblier than he remembered. Or maybe it was just the fact that he was absolutely plastered.

He had gotten this great idea to go to Youngbae's dance studio before school to beg him to tutor him after drowning himself in liquid courage. He waited outside for a moment, but got fidgety and tried the door that turned out to be unlocked. What luck!

The studio was dark and empty, as it should be at six o'clock in the morning. He sat down in the center of it, giving his exhausted legs a break. After a short battle with his eyelids, he snuggled up to the cold floor and left the studio to explore the dream realm.

 

“AAAHH” Seunghyun gingerly screamed, holding his head which was being attacked by an ear-splittingly loud base rhythm that shook him to the core. It was as if the whole room was shaking. His head felt like it could burst open at any moment now. He forced his eyes open, the light feeling like oversized ice picks were being pushed through them. He froze. Standing over him, with his hands placed firmly on his hips, was no other than that delicious dancing chicken nugget who had been the object of the dream out of which he had just been ripped.

“Go somewhere else to sleep it off, this studio is for training only.” he said politely, but pointedly, as he nudged his side harshly with his foot.

“How did you know I was hung over?” Seunghyun sat up and scratched his aching head, still not quite himself.

“The whole studio smells like a frat party, it didn't take a genius.” Youngbae snapped, not looking amused at all.

“Oh, he he, sorry about that...” he awkwardly laughed as he stood up, panicking at how awful a first impression he was making.

“I kind of came here to talk to you.” he added, his voice shaking. He was embarrassingly nervous. It was just a random guy. A random cute guy. Man, he was cute. He was so cute, that the cute scale had to be redefined to accommodate his overwhelming cuteness. But he was clearly not to be messed with, a serious guy that stood up for himself, not going for whatever bull that was thrown at him.

“Would you do me the honor of being my tutor?” he asked bluntly, too hung over to be able to sugarcoat it.

“No.” Youngbae simply answered, as serious as a heart attack.

“Please. You're my only hope. I can't fail this class. See, my dream is to become an actor, but..” he told him the whole horrifying story, offering him a generous monetary award for his services.

“Money's not the issue here. You clearly don't have the heart of a dancer. You don't dance to pass some class, you dance because you have to, you dance because you can't exist without it, you do it to fulfill the burning need in your heart.” he said, mercilessly pointing at the door.

“Please. What do you need? I can get you anything you want.” Seunghyun desperately pleaded.

“Okay, then get me an N and an O, because I want to say NO!” he cleverly spat at him as he threw him out of the studio and slammed the door shut behind him.