Hooked

Strawberry Ice Cream Cake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jinyoung knows it was a bad idea to agree with Jackson’s plan to set him up on a blind date; first because he isn’t really interested in dating anyone as of the moment or anytime soon, second because he’s already a mother of a cute and overly adorable child, named Youngjae.

 

The kid was silently walking beside him, humming to himself, being a good boy that he is. Jinyoung has reconsidered not showing up for the date for at least fifty times already in just a span of thirty minutes. They should just go home and watch Pororo together and do his assignment. He doesn’t even know why on earth Jackson set him up on a Wednesday.

 

The latter had offered to take his shift on the local resto near their university in exchange for this date. Somehow, Jackson was so eager for him to go, that before he arrived at the resto; he had already picked Youngjae up from his school, giving Jinyoung no chance to say no.

 

“Youngjae-ah,” the mother said, crouching down in front of his son, “are you tired? Do you wanna go home?” he continued, wiping off the strawberry milk drink residue on the corner of Youngjae’s lips.

 

“But Jackson hyung said you have to meet someone in GOT7.” Jinyoung couldn’t believe that Jackson even told his son where the date was supposed to be, GOT7 is one of the most famous local coffee shop in their town.

 

“It’s okay, we can go if you’re tired.” He coaxed whilst brushing the kid’s hair.

 

“But I made a promise with Jackson hyung that I’ll make sure you’d go to the date.” Youngjae reason out swaying his hands back and forth, it was adorable; Jinyoung almost lied on the ground and pull his son to cuddle. Jinyoung will make sure to scold his friend tomorrow about him forcing the kid to make something like this.

 

“Okay, but if you want to go home already; just tell me, okay?” he said as he pushed himself back on his knees, Youngjae nodded, slipping back his hand into his mother’s.

 

 


As they entered the coffee shop, Jinyoung searched for what Jackson told him about his date’s appearance. Another reason why Jinyoung was hesitant was because of his friend’s description about his date wasn't really nice; orange haired, pierced, a little buff, and may look cold. As a person himself, he’s scared, but as a mother, he’s terrified for his and his son’s safety.

 

“Jinyoung?” then came a voice not too far from him; the person who called him fitted the description perfectly, except that guy was too good looking.

 

Of course, Jinyoung has a taste even though he isn’t really looking for someone to date. Of course, he knows it when he finds someone attractive. But of course, he knows his stance and he should not cross the line. He picked Youngjae up and went towards the guy’s table.

 

The guy didn’t seem to be surprised seeing Jinyoung carrying a child. He even looked like he was already expecting it to happen. As they approach him closer, he stood up and pulled the chair for Jinyoung and Youngjae.

 

“Annyeong, Jaebummie!” Youngjae said to which Jinyoung blinked his eyes profusely, clearly not believing that his son knows his date.

 

“Annyeong, Youngjae-ah! How’s school?” the man asked and of course, Jinyoung felt protective over his son. He couldn’t believe what was happening in front of him, his son was usually quiet whenever Jinyoung’s with other people. It even took a while for Youngjae to warm up with Jackson, but judging the scene, Youngjae was pretty enthusiastic towards his date.

 

“I’m sorry,” the man said, finally noticing Jinyoung’s glare on him, “I’m Im Jaebum.” Offering his hand for Jinyoung to take, “I’m Park Jinyoung and this is my son, Youngjae”

 

“He knows me already, mama.” His son said, grinning at him cheekily, “Jaebummie’s a cool guy!” Jinyoung’s brows knit up and his eyes widened, not liking his son’s vocabulary. Though he knows where he learned that, still, he had to confirm.

 

“What did you say? Where did you learn that?” the kid realized what he said way too late, he blinked at his mother whilst opening and closing his lips.

 

“Jackson hyung.” He said bashfully after Jinyoung stared at him harder.

 

“I don’t like hearing you talking like that.” The mother announced and turned his face away from his son, brows still knitted.

 

“I’m sorry, mama.” Youngjae then climbed up on Jinyoung’s lap, cupping his mother’s face in his tiny soft palms. “I’m not gonna say it again,” he pecked Jinyoung’s lips, “please don’t be mad at me.” And another kiss.

 

Jinyoung looked straight into his son’s eyes before kissing him on his forehead; Youngjae is his weakness, he cannot afford to get mad at him for long especially when it’s not even his kid’s fault. The mother pulled his son for a hug while the latter was making a happy m sound. The kid’s habit whenever he’s being hugged or kissed.

 

His date, who was smiling as he was watching, was kind enough not to disturb the mother and son moment happening in front of him. He took his DSLR from his bag and took a few shot of the scene, which, of course, earned a surprised look from Jinyoung.

 

“Smile~” he said when Youngjae turned to him, the kid complied immediately and the mother too as soon as his son showed his cheeky smile.

 

“Let me see, Jaebummie!” Youngjae said, leaning towards the table between them, reaching for the camera.

 

“Youngjae, that’s not nice.” As soon as the kid heard his mother spoke, he stopped his grabby hands and turned back to him, pouting, “And why do you keep on calling him Jaebummie, shouldn’t you be using hyung or samchon or sshi?” the son pouted harder but bowed his head down, another habit whenever he feels bad from Jinyoung’s scolding.

 

“Hey, it’s fine. You don’t have to reprimand him; I personally told him that it was fine to call me Jaebummie.” Youngjae turned to his mother’s date, happy for the salvage, but Jinyoung’s clearly not.

 

“You tolerate such disrespectfulness?” Jinyoung said, a little too high and a little too loud.

 

“I am not– It’s not like that–”

 

“Please don’t fight.” The kid then started to cry.

 

“Hey, little muffin, don’t cry. We’re not fighting.” Jaebum reached towards the kid’s face, drying off the tears with his handkerchief, but the kid wouldn’t stop crying.

 

Jinyoung being a protective hen he is, he lurched Youngjae away from Jaebum and hugged the kid to his chest. His date looked taken aback from the sudden action; he retreated his hand and kept his lips tight.  Youngjae buried his face on his mother’s shoulder as Jinyoung gently pats his back.

 

“Mama’s sorry, Youngjae-ah. Please don’t get mad at mama.” The mother whispered, softly rocking the young boy in his arms.

 

Once Youngjae stopped crying, Jaebum asked, “Do you still want to see the photographs?” the kid bit his lower lip, he wanted to say yes but turned to his mama first; silently asking for permission with his tear stained cheek, nose and eyebrows red from crying.

 

Jinyoung smiled and nodded, the kid then leaned back to the table as Jaebum clicked few buttons on the camera. And when Jaebum finally showed the photos to the excited kid, Jinyoung melted with how cute the photo was. He did not even look at his own face, it was Youngjae’s; nose a little scrunched up, all his teeth showing, and his eyes disappearing to two crescents rival with the moon’s.

 

Then Jaebum clicked something and showed them another photo, in this one, it was only his face which was showing, Youngjae’s tiny hands were on his cheek and his eyes were closed, it was nice and he couldn’t help but smile. Youngjae was clapping and praising Jaebum, saying how cool and great he was with taking photographs and then there’s Jinyoung, smiling to himself.

 

He had always loved Youngjae, he always has an overflowing love for the kid. He had done and would still do a lot for him; it was just nice to see how much he loves him on a single photograph.

 

“I hope you’re not mad at me.” Jaebum pulled him away from his reverie, the DSLR’s already in Youngjae’s hands, he then held it too, he never really cared about these things, but he heard enough that it was expensive and he wouldn’t be able to buy in case Youngjae breaks it.

 

“I’m sorry, I’m not mad at you” still holding the camera as his son placed it in front of his face, copying how Jaebum did it earlier. With quiet shutter, Younjae checked the review; he smiled and showed it to the owner.

 

“Jaebummie!” It was a blurry picture of the man, but it was clear enough to see that Jaebum was smiling. The kid then returned the camera back to the owner as he return to his seat, proceeding to fumble on the menu in front of him.

 

“Let’s order? Shall we?” Jaebum asked, noticing Youngjae’s action as he placed his camera back in his bag.

 

Jinyoung closed the menu just as fast as he opened it, everything was so expensive. He isn’t broke, but he’s got priorities with his money, he can’t buy an overpriced drink when it can be added to Youngjae’s future educational fees.

 

“Please order whatever you like, it’s on me.” Jaebum said as nice as possible, being careful, for Jinyoung might think he pities them.

 

“No.” Jinyoung sternly replied, Jaebum failed, though.

 

“No, Jinyoung. I asked you for this, it is right and just for me to pay; please don’t think otherwise.” He tried again; Youngjae was already looking over the milk teas and cakes, reading the characters slowly and quietly.

 

“I’ll repay you.” Jinyoung bargained, of course, he’s not a pity case just because he’s got a son at an early age.

 

“No, you don’t have to. Please?” Jinyoung looked into the man’s eyes for a good minute before turning to his son, listening to his quiet voice; the kid was humming to himself again.

 

“Then I’ll treat you next time.” He announced to which he earned a wide grin from his date. He just unintentionally set their second date. He released a heavy breath when he realized which made his son turn to him with a worried look.

 

“What do you like, Youngjae ah?” Jaebum asked the kid who almost broke his neck as he turned to look him.

 

“What was it again, Jaebummie?” the kid pouted as he tilted his head from left to right, trying to remember something.

 

“Which one?”

 

“The one you brought at school.” It was Jinyoung’s turn to almost break his neck with what he heard.

 

“What?” the mother asked.

 

“Mama, do you remember the last time I told there was a cool guy who went to our school to take our photographs for our school ID?” Youngjae said, and if Jinyoung could remember the story correctly, the cool guy was a university student who volunteered for Youngjae’s school. His son told him about the guy studying in the same university as him and was taking up Film.

 

“Yes?” he said as he glanced to Jaebum who was clearly enjoying the praise he’s getting from his adorable child.

 

“Jaebummie is that cool guy!” the kid finished with a proud nod intended for Jaebum.

 

The cake Jaebum gave to Youngjae was a strawberry ice cream cake, it was one of the most expensive cakes on the menus, but his date ordered it like it was free along with a strawberry milk drink. The mother settled for a green apple Yakult and oreo cheesecake. He was hesitant to order, first because the price, second because it wouldn’t be as satisfying as dish plus rice or a bowl of ramyun.

 

His date ordered a strong tea and a mango float. And he kept on feeding Youngjae too, if the waiter in the coffee shop would enter the scene, he would say that the three looked like they are having a family date.

 

“How did you know me?” Jinyoung asked out of curiosity, Jackson had already told him that the guy likes him and wanted to know him better.

 

“We were classmates in Literature.” His date answered as he fed Youngjae with a slice of mango. Jinyoung then nodded and wiped off the cream on his son’s lips; Youngjae looked like he was really enjoying the food, his legs kept swaying back and forth and he also keeps on smiling at Jaebum.

 

“I never had the chance to ask you out back then, you always looked on a rush whenever the class ends.” Jaebum shyly admitted, sipping his tea on the process. He took that class almost four years ago; Youngjae was barely two years old that time.

 

He was on his first year in college and the kid always fell ill during that stage. The only people they could run to during that time was Jackson and his boyfriend, Mark. They were kind enough to look for Youngjae, but of course, these people were also students so it was more challenging.

 

“Yeah, I was. I’m sorry.” Jinyoung replied, taking a spoonful of his oreo cheesecake and offering Youngjae too, “When did you find out that Youngjae is my son?” he had to ask.

 

“From the start?” Youngjae then took a spoonful from his plate and reached it towards Jinyoung’s mouth whilst smiling sweetly. The mother gladly took it, pinching his son’s cheek.

 

Of course, everyone in the university knows about this freshman who had a kid while he was still in high school. Despite his high grades, he was tagged as a stupid boy when everyone found out the he had a kid. They told him things, nasty things like he was stupid for wasting his future. But Jinyoung begs to differ because no moment is wasted with Youngjae.

 

“Then why did you still pursue on asking me out on a date if you already know that I have a son?” He said in a hushed voice, careful not to make Youngjae think that he’s mad.

 

“Because I like you.” Came in Jaebum’s reply.

 

“You like me? Didn’t you hear what people tell about me when we were in that class?” Jaebum slightly leaned back and joined his brows with Jinyoung’s question.

 

“Because it’s you that I like and not them?” Jinyoung took a heavy breath and closed his eyes for a second, gathering his courage and finding the correct words.

 

“Jaebum, I assume you already know what and how I am with Youngjae. I don’t have time to date anyone, I barely have time for myself how can I add one more person?” Jinyoung leaned forward and said in a more hushed voice, Youngjae was too busy eating his ice cream cake to notice his mother and Jaebummie.

 

“Jinyoung, I want to date you, but I don’t want to become just another baggage for you to carry on your shoulders. I want to date you because maybe you want to share your baggage. I want to date you because I want to be here for you.” Jaebum said in an equally hushed voice, reaching to hold Jinyoung’s fisted hand.

 

“I am not a pity case. We’re not a pity case.” The mother replied sternly, pulling his hand away.

 

“I did not say that you are. I just– I like you.” Jaebum reached to his hand again, “Please give me a chance.”

 

Youngjae then turned to them and gave them an ice-cream smudged smile. The kid took a spoonful on his plate and reached it to Jaebum, saying a cute ‘ahhhh~’ his eyes and his mouth wide

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter