Chapter 8 - Strange Feelings

Loving The Real You

 

~~~~~

 

Taemin fidgeted once again as Key pulled on his hair. “Stop moving, Taemin.” He whined as Key tugged on his hair particularly hard. “But it hurts!”

“I’m almost done, so stop whining.”

Taemin huffed, but stayed silent as Key finished his hair.

As soon as he was done, the younger boy let out a sigh.

“Time to put your dress on!”

“Nooooooo!”

“Oh come on, it’s not that bad. Besides, don’t you want to look pretty for your Prince?” Key mocked.

“Do you sometimes forget that I am a boy? I’m not supposed to be pretty.”

“You’d think you would be used to people calling you pretty by now.” Key pinched his cheeks, but Taemin quickly swatted his hand away. “Whatever...,” he mumbled.

Key dressed him in a long, white gown; simple but beautiful. Much to Taemin’s disappointment, the makeshift s returned. The only thing left was makeup, which Key finished quickly.

“Done!”

“Finally,” Taemin grumbled. Key chuckled, “Oh don’t be grumpy. You look beautiful. It’s a bit ironic that the most gorgeous girl that’s going to be there is actually a boy.”

“Key, do you have to keep to teasing me?”

“I’m not! I’m being completely honest!” Key looked at him seriously, and he blushed. “Do I really look that much like a girl?” Taemin mumbled, fiddling with the dress.

“Well, when I dress you up like a girl, of course you do. But you’re beautiful without all the dresses and makeup. Boys can be beautiful too.”

Taemin laughed and rolled his eyes. “Now you’re just trying to make me feel better.”

“It’s true! I’m a beautiful boy, don’t you think?” Key brought his palms to his cheeks, batting his eyelashes as he gave a cute smile. Taemin burst into laughter at the sight.

“Alright, enough laughing at me,” Key smiled as he watched the boy hold back his giggles. “I have to go dress, but Minho will be here in a bit to you.” Taemin was still trying to hold back his laughter a Key left the room.

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

“Tae-“

Minho stopped abruptly in the doorway. The younger turned around too face him, and Minho felt his heart quicken at the sight of him.

The white gown was draped around his body gracefully, clinging to him in all the right places. His soft, chestnut hair was sculpted elegantly atop his head, pieces falling to frame his face, but giving the perfect view of all his features. His already sharp blue eyes appeared even more intense lined with black. The low light in the room gave his skin a soft glow, making it appear all the more deliciously enticing.

Plump, pink lips parted and he spoke. “Minho…”The way that gentle voice spoke his name sparked a stir in his groin and-

Nonononononononono!

He really needed to restrain himself from these unnatural thoughts, but…sometimes he just couldn’t control himself in Taemin’s presence.

The younger boy folded his hands in front of him, twiddling his fingers as Minho came closer. His cheeks darkened as he looked the Prince up and down. “You look…really nice, Minho,” he said softly. Minho looked down at his own attire, fancy robes that seemed to pale next to Taemin’s beauty.

Minho smiled. “Thank you. And you look as pretty as a flower,” he teased. Taemin chuckled and punched him playfully.

“Stupid Prince.”

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

Taemin was in awe as he entered the colossal room. The ceiling was extremely high, as most were in the palace, and long tables were placed in the center. Countless flowers decorated almost everything in the room, small vases placed everywhere. Elegant music was being played by instruments Taemin had never even seen before. Torches were lit along the walls, casting shadows of the innumerable amount of people. “Wow…”

Minho smiled at the look of amazement on the boy’s face. “My father wanted to give you a warm welcome.”

“Taemin! Minho!”

Taemin looked over to see Mir sprinting to them, a huge smile plastered on his face. “Wow! You guys look great!” They both thanked him, and returned the compliment.

As Mir chatted with them lightly, Taemin caught a glimpse of Changmin standing at a distance. He seemed to be frozen with shock, mouth open slightly and eyes wide as he stared at right back at Taemin. “Prince Changmin!” Taemin waved him over. He seemed to come of his trance, and finally made his way over.

“Taemin, you look…perfect.” Changmin’s deep, serious tone surprised him a bit, and he laughed as he thanked him.

The older Prince quickly got over his shock and gave a charming smile. He kneeled to ground, and much to Taemin’s surprise, took hold of his hand. “I’m delighted to welcome you to our country.” Changmin placed a gentle kiss on the back of his hand, and he stood shocked, confusion etched on his features.

“You haven’t even greeted me yet, Brother. I feel hurt,” Minho said through clenched teeth as he shot a glare at Changmin.

“Ah, I apologize.” Changmin stood up and gave a mocking smirk. “Your Princess’ beauty distracted me.”

Minho returned it with a challenging smirk of his own as he took hold of Taemin waist, “Yes, she is quite the sight, hmm?” He leaned down and buried his face in the younger boy’s neck, breath tickling his skin. Taemin turned a bright red and he shivered as goosebumps erupted on his skin.

Changmin gave a forced smile but it came out as more of a grimace. “Yes, quite.”

Before Taemin could even begin to question the two Princes’ strange behavior, the room suddenly became silent, the loud chatter dying down. He glanced around the room in confusion until he saw an entrance, high off the ground, steps leading from the a high platform to the floor. The King and Queen entered the room, heads high as they carried an aura of nobility.

The air was thick with tension as they stopped at the top of the stairs. That is, until King Yunho smiled lightly. Taemin could feel everyone relax, along with himself.

“We are here tonight to welcome, not only a new candidate for Queen, but a new member of the royal family.” Yunho’s deep voice echoed throughout the room. He looked to Taemin directly, and Taemin felt his heart in his throat. His nerves got the best of him as every head seemed to turn their way. “Princess Taemin, I hope you feel welcome in our country, and I hope you and my son have a blissful marriage.”

Minho bowed, and Taemin was quickly brought back to his senses. He copied Minho’s actions, bowing low. Everyone applauded, and Taemin smiled shyly.

“Now, let us eat!”

Dozens of servants approached the long tables, placing endless plates of food on them. Taemin stared at the food with wide eyes. He didn’t think he’d ever actually seen that much food in one room.

“Mir, can you show Taemin where we’ll be sitting? I need to have a word with Changmin.”

Mir glanced apprehensively between the two older Princes. “Ah, sure. Don’t be too long, the food will get cold.” Taemin followed Mir to the middle table and gave Minho one last questioning look.

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

“What do you think you’re doing?!”

Changmin shrugged. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Minho only became angrier at Changmin aloof attitude.

“You know exactly what I’m talking about!” He whispered furiously. “Taemin is mine, we’ll be married soon. And you have the nerve to…to-“ Minho couldn’t fathom why he was so angry. This was all supposed to be an act, wasn’t it? Taemin did not truly belong to him. But as soon as Changmin’s lips made contact with Taemin skin, he could feel the fury boiling inside him.

Changmin sighed, seemingly giving up on acting innocent. “Minho…you’re my brother, and I love you.” He looked away, staring at Taemin’s back as he walked away. “But I want her.”

Minho’s fist tightened at his brother’s words. “Taemin is mine. There is nothing you can do to change that, so I suggest you quite these foolish acts.”

Changmin stared at him, eyes challenging. “I’m not giving up, Brother.”

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

Taemin was a bit shocked when Minho and Changmin sat on either side of him, both sporting angry expressions. “Are you guys alright?”

“Fine,” they both answered shortly.

Taemin decided not to question it. Brothers, after all, occasionally did argue, and he didn’t feel the need to be stuck in the middle of a brotherly dispute. He shrugged and continued eating.

He tried to keep in mind all the things Boa had taught him about eating etiquette, but it was so difficult with all the delicious food in front of him. He sat up straight, eating slowly and delicately, but he really just wanted to stuff all the food in his mouth.

“Would you like more to drink, Princess?”

Taemin jumped at the soft voice, and turned around to see a young girl holding a pitcher. She was unbearably cute; with shiny black hair, big dark eyes, and a baby face. He assumed she was a servant, but he would have taken her for a young princess if it weren’t for her old, dirty clothes.

“Oh yes, thank you.”

She leaned forward to pour the drink into his cup, and her foot caught on the leg of his chair. She almost lost her grip on the pitcher, and some of the water spilled from it. Taemin gasped as the cold water hit him, and he looked down to see a large wet spot on the leg of his dress. “I-I-I’m so s-sorry!”

“IU! What have you done?!” An older woman came storming over to them before Taemin could even respond.

“I-I tripped! I really didn’t mean to! I’m sorry, Princess.” She kneeled to the ground, bowing so low her forehead touched the ground.

“No, no! It’s alright, it’s just water. You don’t have to apologize. Stand up, please.” Taemin leaned down to help the poor girl off the floor, but the older woman beat him to him. She yanked roughly at the girl’s arm, and pulled her up. “You stupid little girl! Look what you’ve done!”

“Ma’am, it’s alright. It was just an accident, please don’t be so angry with her,” Taemin pleaded, eyeing the bruising grip the woman had on the young girl’s arm. He wondered why Minho wasn’t interfering to help him, and he glanced at the Prince to see him leaning back in his chair, observing them quietly.

“You’re very sweet, Princess,” the woman gave a sickly sweet smile, but scowled as she glanced at the girl she was holding. “But she needs to be punished. I think a few whippings will be sufficient.”

She began to pull the girl away, and Taemin stood up quickly, horrified at the idea of this girl getting whipped for spilling water. “No!”

The woman turned around, shocked at Taemin’s outburst.

“Why-Why don’t you let me decide her punishment?” Taemin suggested, an idea quickly forming in his head.

The woman seemed to contemplate his suggestion as IU looked back and forth between them, seemingly terrified. Taemin had barely even noticed that he had caught the attention of many people around them, but he didn’t care that he was attracting a crowd. This girl needed his help.

“Hmmm that’s a good idea, Princess. What did you have in mind?”

“I want her to be my personal maid.”

The woman seemed scandalized by his suggestion, expression contorting. “But-But that would be an honor, not a punishment! You can’t-“

“I believe my Princess has made a decision,” Minho interrupted, standing up. He smiled; satisfied with the way Taemin had handled the situation.

“But-But-“

“Please help move Miss IU’s things to the servants quarters in my wing of the palace.”

The woman starred at them in horror, before finally gritting her teeth and giving a fake smile. “Yes, Prince.” She bowed, and stormed away, leaving IU behind.

IU looked to Taemin with watering eyes, a smile slowly stretching across her face. “Thank you, Princess! Thank you!” She bowed, and tears finally fell.

Taemin smiled gently, “It’s nothing. I’m just glad you’re alright, that really scared me!”

Onew, Jonghyun, and Key appeared together, all with matching smiles. “That was quite a show, Taemin,” Jonghyun teased. “At least everyone is finally starting to stop staring.”

Taemin blushed, and looked around to see groups of people dispersing, but still whispering to each other about the incident. He shrugged, “I couldn’t just do nothing.”

“We understand, Taemin. You made the perfect decision,” Key winked, and Taemin finally realized that this wasn’t just about IU, it was about the way people viewed him. This situation had given people a chance to see the way Taemin would handle things.

“IU, why don’t I take you to your new room?” Onew suggested. IU nodded eagerly, and gave a blinding smile to Taemin before bowing once again. She walked away with Onew, leaving Taemin happy that he had helped her.

“Do you want to change clothes, Taemin?” Key asked.

“No, it should dry soon, and it isn’t very noticeable.”

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

The rest of the night was spent making small talk with almost everyone there. Taemin didn’t even try to remember names anymore; he soon found it was pointless. There were far too many people for his liking, and he usually just stood next to Minho with a fake smile while the Prince chatted with them. He didn’t want to do much talking, but unfortunately, many people were curious about him (although it was to be expected). He answered their questions as swiftly as he could, and when he would occasionally be stumped by a question, Minho would come to his rescue.

As soon as he saw the King and Queen making their way over, he was on his toes. Their expressions contrasted greatly; Yunho smiling warmly while Sujung glared at Taemin smugly. Taemin greeted them respectively, and listened while Minho and his father talked. He didn’t expect to be spoken to directly, so he was surprised when the Queen put on a sickly sweet smile and addressed him.

“Princess Taemin, do have any…talents? Did you learn anything specifically useful in your small Kingdom?”

Taemin clenched his teeth as he gave a fake smile, sensing the malice in her words. “I-I, well…I can dance…a bit.” He knew as soon as the words came out of his mouth that he would regret them. The devious smile on the Queen’s face made his stomach lurch.

“Really? Why don’t you perform for us?”

He glanced to Minho for help and the Prince quickly interjected. “But mother, she hasn’t prepared any-“

“Any talented dancer could give a beautiful performance on the spot. You can do at least that much, can’t you Taemin?” She smirked, and Taemin felt the anger boil inside of him. He knew she was only trying to get him worked up by questioning his skills, and he hated that it was working.

“Well, of-of course.”

“Wouldn’t you love to see her perform, Yunho?”

“Certainly! If you’re up to it, of course, Taemin.”

Taemin was sure now, that the Queen was only suggesting this because she was positive he would mess it up somehow. And despite his nerves, he wanted so badly to prove her wrong.

“I suppose I will give it a try.”

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

As the King and Queen announced Taemin’s impending performance, Minho leaned down to whisper in the boy’s ear. “Are you sure about this, Taemin?” Minho was quite worried for him, although Taemin was seemingly calm.

“Well…I’m confident in my dancing, I’ve performed a lot. I’m just not too sure about the music…The music I usually dance to is much different from what I’ve been hearing tonight.” Taemin chewed his bottom lip worriedly. He was going over steps in his head that would be appropriate, and he was suddenly grateful that he had taken ballet (no matter how much he hated it at the time) and various types of dance, because he wasn’t sure how these people would react to popping.

“You don’t have to do this, you know. I know you only agreed because of Sujung.” Minho seemed genuinely worried for him, it warmed his heart. It only made him want to do this more. If he did well, it would look good on Minho’s part, wouldn’t it?

Taemin shook his head. “I already agreed, I’m not going to back down now.”

As the King finished announcing Taemin’s performance, everyone applauded. Minho reluctantly followed Yunho and Sujung down the steps, leaving Taemin on the platform by himself.  

He took his place next to his parents, in front of the large crowd of people whispering around him. Key and Jonghyun joined him, both giving him questioning looks. He saw Changmin in the corner of his vision and he looked too see the older boy gazing up at Taemin eagerly. Minho had to hold back a growl.

His anger diminished, however, when the instruments began to play. His eyes quickly flew back to Taemin standing on the raised platform. Everyone in the room became silent as the music began.

Taemin stood stock still, eyes closed. Minho assumed he was simply listening, feeling the music.

When Taemin began to finally move after the first few beats, Minho’s breath caught in his throat. The boy danced gracefully, white gown flowing around him as his limbs moved fluidly. Minho had never seen anyone dance so beautifully before. He wasn’t sure if it was simply because it was Taemin that was dancing, or if the boy was just extremely talented.

Minho concluded it was probably both.

The way Taemin danced was something new to him, he’d never seen anyone dance quite like this before, but it was intriguing. He wanted to see if he was the only one memorized, but he couldn’t take his eyes off Taemin. He didn’t want to miss one move the boy made.

The song was much too short for Minho’s liking. When it stopped, Taemin posed elegantly, smiling brightly as everyone applauded. He looked to his left to see his father clapping along with everyone else, and Sujung scowling.

He smiled, feeling extremely proud of his Taemin.

Wait…his Taemin?

A small body collided with his own, and he looked down to see Taemin’s head buried in his chest, skinny arms wrapped around his middle. He returned Taemin’s embrace, chuckling lightly, his questioning thoughts soon forgotten.

Taemin’s head lifted from his chest, a blinding smile on his face. “Did I do well, Minho?” he asked eagerly, breath labored and his hair looking windswept. Minho really loved this side of Taemin; excited, cheerful,happy.

“That was…the best dancing I’ve ever seen, Taemin,” He felt extremely dimwitted for not coming up with a better way to explain the perfection Taemin had just performed, but he was simply speechless.

Taemin’s smile widened, eyes turning into crescents endearingly. “Really?!.”

Taemin was soon torn from his arms when everyone surrounded them, showering the younger boy with complements.

Changmin pushed his way through the crowd, and as soon as he spotted Taemin, he pulled the boy into his arms. Taemin let out a surprised gasp, and stumbled over his words. Changmin soon pulled away, his arm still around Taemin’s waist. Taemin’s face was crimson, eyes shifting slightly. “Ch-Changmin…”

“That was beautiful, Taemin. Nothing like I’ve ever seen.” Taemin let out a nervous laugh, “Thank you.”

Minho, on the other hand, was burning with jealousy. He eyed the hand still placed dangerously close to Taemin’s , until the younger boy was finally pulled away from Changmin by an overly-excited Key.

Changmin made his way over to his brother, expression calm. He stood next to Minho, crossing his arms as he watched Taemin flit from one person to the next.

“The stakes are higher now, Brother,” Minho looked to the older Prince, nails digging into his palm as he clenched his fist. “I don’t just want her, I think I’m falling for her.”

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

 

“I’m soooo tired,” Taemin groaned. He fell stomach first onto the bed, relishing the soft sheets.

He was surprised when Minho made no comment back. In fact, the Prince had been strangely quiet on their way back to the room, it worried him a bit. He was elated when Minho seemed to like his performance, but now he was questioning the Prince's reaction. Did Minho truly not like it?

It was bizarre, but Taemin soon realized that Minho’s opinion mattered more than anyone else’s. It didn’t matter that dozens of people had told him his dancing was wonderful; if Minho didn’t like it, he would be disappointed. He wondered when Minho began to matter so much to him…

“Is something wrong?”

Minho shook his head, “Just tired also,” he mumbled.

“Oh...”

Taemin reluctantly got off the bed, intent on changing into something more comfortable.

“So…”Taemin turned away from Minho and slipped the gown off, letting it fall to the floor. “Your brothers are really kind (well most of them anyways). I’m happy that they seem to accept me.” He picked out some comfortable robes to change into.

“Mmhmm…”

Taemin sighed. He was only trying to make conversation, and it was true; Changmin and Mir were nothing but nice to him (he hadn’t talked to Siwon much, but he seemed nice enough). He was glad to have some more friends in this world.

“Changmin seemed really happy for me. He’s really great, you know. He’s helped me a lot since I got here,” Taemin babbled.

“Yeah…” Minho’s voice seemed strained, but he didn’t think much of it, and continued to talk as he finished dressing.

“He’s a little touchy, but I think that’s just the way he is. Is he usually like that, Minho? I mean-“

Taemin let out a surprised squeak when gripped his arm, and spun him around. “Stop,” the Prince growled.

“Wha-“

“Stop talking about him.” His voice was dangerously low, and truthfully, Taemin was a bit scared. Taemin stared fearfully into his eyes, although…Minho didn’t look like he would harm him. He looked…frustrated, conflicted.

Taemin was simply confused.

“Minho, what wrong?” He whispered. Minho was now so close, he could feel the older boy’s hot breath on his lips. The grip on his wrist tightened and a hand slipped onto his hip.

“Taemin…you just…confuse me so much,” Minho murmured, face contorted in distress.

And before Taemin could question that statement, he felt soft lips on his own.

Minho was kissing him.

He didn’t respond at first, he stood stock still, too shocked to move. But he soon melted into the kiss, and his eyes fluttered closed. Minho’s lips felt warm and heavenly against his own; Taemin didn’t know kissing felt this wonderful. Or maybe it was just kissing Minho that was wonderful.

He wouldn’t know. It was his first kiss after all.

He felt a little daring, and flicked his tongue across Minho’s bottom lip. The older boy moaned at the sensation.

But he quickly jerked away and tore his lips from Taemin’s, shocking the younger boy.

“I-I can’t- Taemin…I-I shouldn’t be d-doing this. This is wrong.” He said, voice quivering as he backed away.

He quickly left the room, leaving a shocked, teary-eyed Taemin.

 

~~~~~

 

 

 

 

A/N: Changminnie is falling in love~~

& Minho is a being a jerk! But he's just confused xp

Oh & I had to slip IU in the story, she is now my girl bias lol

Sorry it took so long to update, but with everything going on (graduating, working full-time, getting ready for Christmas, applying for a new job) it's been kind of crazy x_x

I now have most of the story planned out though ;)