under pressure

If you were mine...

A/N: This chapter is what it is because I finally gave up and let the words spill out. I might come back and edit it later but giving you guys this mess now is the only way to move forward to the good stuff so  just endure it a little more. thanks for the love and i promise to update soon. like real soon soon :)

===========================

 

21

As Hyoyeon slowly opened her eyes,

*thud*

The door closed shut yet again.

 

Surprised, Hyoyeon looked around the studio and found she was the only one left in the room...

Hyukjae had... left?

 

As the minutes ticked by, various emotions started thrashing around inside her like unruly waves in a summer storm. 

'Where did he go? Why didn't he tell me anything? Why would he just leave like that? Is he coming back? Should I just leave too? But then do I still wait for him to take me home? When will I get the chance to tell him how I feel?'

 

"Hyoyeon?"

Hyoyeon regained her senses to find Hyukjae's enquiring eyes directed at her. "Everything alright? I've been calling your name."

She felt the color rise to her cheeks. "You're back! I mean.... you're here.. I mean... of course you would be here...." She positioned her gaze on her feet -- there was no way she would be able to do this looking straight into his eyes since her face currently resembled a flaming volcano --"Hyukjae I have something to --"

"Yah! Hurry up, will ya?"

 

She blinked. That was kind of rude.

"I.. I'm getting to it."

"Come on Kim Minseok, we don't have all night!"

"God, Hyukjae! Would you stop rushing me! I'm trying to... wait... Kim Who?" Her head shot up. 

 

"Annyeong noona!" 

"Minseok-ah, what are you doing here?" she asked in surprise finding Hyukjae accompanied by a familiar face.

"I take classes here too, noona" the youngster was beaming at her brightly.

"I just saw him running around the other day," Hyukjae butted into the conversation, "and realized that you guys are neighbours so, Minseok here, can drive you home from now on Hyoyeon."

"Oh.." Hyoyeon tried not to let her disappointment show. 'I thought you said it wasn't a burden,' she bit her lip and hastily berated herself for even thinking it. Minseok driving her home made the utmost sense given that he lived right next door to her aunt's while Hyukjae lived an hour away.

"Oh that works out perfectly then!" she exclaimed enthusiastically. "You don't mind right waiting an hour or so more then, Minseok-ah? Hyukjae must've told you that we finish up only around 10 or 11."

"Eh? Really? but no problem noona. I could use some extra practice time" the younger boy agreed good naturedly; only to be interrupted by Hyukjae yet again, "About that! Hyoyeon, you don't have to waste your time anymore. Kahi noona and I are starting our practice from today."

"You are...?" Hyoyeon wasn't sure if her brain was just moving super-slow today or if Hyukjae was hell-bent on throwing all these curveballs at her. "But I thought you said your rehearsals would only begin next week after all the classes are done."

"Oh well," Hyukjae shrugged, "change of plans. The early bird gets the worm yadda yadda yadda."

 

 

Hyoyeon began panicking internally. She didn't know if she could handle another day of being a jittery skittish mess - she had to confess and get all the confusion out of her system. 

"Umm.. I can stay today at least -- just to show her the choreography.. and stuff..." she offered, "you don't mind right, Minseokah?"


"No. That's not necessary." Hyukjae brushed her off yet again; his tone firm and oddly cold. "We already have the videos we filmed."

Young Minseok's eyes were just drifting back and forth like he was watching some ping-pong relay. He could sense that something was amiss between the older pair and the simmering tension in the room was making him nervous. His noona, for one, looked upset while his hyung was either totally oblivious to it or acting like it. 

 

"I see... that's.. that's fine then. But Hyukjae, can we uh.. talk? Just a few minutes will do."

"Ahem," Minseok quickly seized his moment, "I have to get some stuff from my locker noona so just call me whenever you are ready to go, ok? You have my number...." The last few words were kind of like an echo since he had all but flown out the door as fast as his soccerstar legs would take him.

====================================================================

As Hyoyeon watched the door slip shut with a thud yet again, she visibly flinched. It was like a bad omen throwing off her carefully laid confession plans; leaving her uncertain and unprepared. It was Hyukjae too. He just seemed different today. She couldn't quite place what it was that gave her the feeling but it certainly was there, further adding to her trepidation. 

'Here goes nothing'

 

She sighed and finally turned back towards Hyukjae,. "So I...."

"Actually," Hyukjae spoke up cheerfully, "I wanted to talk to you too."

Hyoyeon looked taken aback but managed to crack a little smile. Nothing had gone her way so far but now, with just the two of them in what she had come to think of as "their place", she began to relax again. "Ummm.. You can go first."

"Well since there are only two more classes left, I'm not sure if I will be able to talk to you again so I just wanted to say that you are a dancer with great potential Hyoyeon and it was a joy to be your first dance teacher. I hope you continue to take more classes and make a profession out of this." He extended his hand. "Good Luck!" 

Hyoyeon stared at his hand with a slight frown. "This.. sounds like a goodbye."

"Goodbye?" Hyukjae chucked while taking her hand and making it accept his handshake, "Nah, it's more of a thankyou and a see you later!"

"But..." her voice trailed off.

"Something wrong?"

"No.. i mean... uh.." the ability to form words had completely abandoned Hyoyeon. She stared back at Hyukjae hoping and wishing that he would be able to hear all the confused thoughts that were screaming in her head.. 

"Don't worry Hyoyeon. You will be given credit for your contribution to the choreography for Kahi noona and my Competition routine. If we win, the Academy will probably even offer you a scholarship so you can continue taking classes here for free."

"I see... Is that all you had to say?" 

"Yeah, pretty much. I'm super confident we are going to win this time! And I couldn't have done it without you. You really got the 'feel' of the tango so well, I even got hypnotised for a second like I was in love or something. Ha. Ha. So thanks again Hyoyeon and make sure you always have that 'feel' whenever you're making new choreography. " Hyukjae winked at her as he started heading for the door, "Let's all have dinner sometime when that Donghae finally gets back. My treat!"