a shaky start

If you were mine...

 

“Are you ready, Miss Kim?”

A boy held out his hand, the other was behind his back – shoulders straightened, stance elongated and majestic.

“I was born ready, Mr.Lee”

The girl in front of him curtsied with grace, before placing her delicate fingers in his hand and tilting her chin up haughtily.

3….2…1..

 

The elegant aura in the room melted away, replaced by the infectious giggles of Kim Hyoyeon or ‘choding’ as Hyukjae had taken to calling her recently.

 

“And you were doing so well!” Hyukjae shook his head, with chuckles of his own adding to the joyful sounds in the practice room.

It was 9:15 pm –

Regular dance class had ended and the pair were about to begin their first choreography session.

Hyoyeon felt a thrill that she had never known before at the thought of being able to create a dance piece – something she would not have thought possible a month ago. But thanks to Donghae’s father’s generosity, here she was, assisting a world champion dancer. The thought made her chuckle, ‘That’s right! The anchovy is a world #1 dancer. I should treat him with more respect!’

 

Penny for your thoughts, choding!” Hyukjae interrogated, curious to know what new and amusing thoughts were going through the girl’s mind.

In just three short weeks, Hyoyeon had become a good friend and the best company – especially in Donghae’s absence. For years, he had listened to the Fishie rave about his other best friend and though Hyukjae never told him this – he didn’t think a person could be as amazing as Donghae described Hyoyeon. But now, having gotten to know the real Hyoyeon – Hyukjae conceded that it was in fact possible.  

There was never a dull moment around her. Their drives back to her home was full of playful jokes, Hyoyeon’s to-die-for imitations of the radio show hosts, her spontaneous seat-dancing, the way she messed up the simplest words while speaking. And even when he had to drive back solo to his house, the memories from earlier were enough to keep him smiling and in a good mood.

 

“I’ve decided to treat you with more respect, seonsengnim” she replied seriously. “Now no matter how much you bait me, I will not react childishly. I will be a professional!”

“Oh really?” Hyukjae quirked a brow. “Not even if I do this?” He poked her flat tummy playfully.

“YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!” Her girly scream almost shattered the windows. “Don’t do that!”

“What?” Hyukjae asked innocently. He was in a playful mood today. “You know that the tango is a close partner dance, right? How are you going to help me if you scream like that every time I touch you!”

 

“Well… tt.. th.. that..” She trailed off unable to form a proper thought as shyness grabbed hold of her. There were just so many pointless thoughts going on in her mind at all times that she had never gotten to that. ‘Oh this will be awkward! Why didn’t I think? Why did I just accept the offer? Pabo pabo Hyoyeon pabo!’ She had never had a real boyfriend before so the closest physical contact she had with a boy was with Donghae – and he didn’t count since she was practically immune to him.

 

The panic in her eyes was so evident, Hyukjae began to feel a little sorry. It was unexplainable but the fact that Hyoyeon was never able to hide her emotions, made him feel oddly protective over her. But he never lingered on the thought. He just figured it was a normal reaction after seeing her almost accosted by her own father… yes, it made complete sense in his mind and allowed him to continue to maintain his newly developed friendship.

 

“Ok. It was funny at first but now I feel bad for you!” he spoke. When Hyoyeon raised questioning eyes up to him, he sincerely replied, “Trust me. I’m a professional, right? You’re just feeling nervous because this is your first time dancing with a partner. Believe me, after a while, it becomes routine.. and I think you have enough potential to make a career out of this so, what better way than for your good buddy here, aka moi, to help you get over it?” And just to ease the tension, he added with a smirk, “Or are you nervous because you’ve already fallen in love with my charm and good looks?”

 

Hyoyeon immediately took the bait and started making gagging sounds. “Charm? Good looks? Where? Is the face you have a mask? Will I find them behind it?”

“Mwoh? Kim HYOYEON!” Hyukjae began to pretend choked her.

But Hyoyeon was too busy clutching her stomach and laughing at her own joke to even fight back and just like that the atmosphere turned comfortable and light again. 

 

================================================================================

heyyoo. a short update to let you know that this story is back too! my last update was so long ago. now, hyoyeon is in Dancing with the Stars korea. are you all watching? her partner is very cute too but i hyohyuk is my number 1. i think i will use their dance practice scenes for inspiration to write the next chapter :)

comments are loved. full update coming soon