pitter-patter

If you were mine...

 

“Yeonie ya! Youngie is here!” Sooyoung ran into the dance room the next evening, all smiles and loud voices. The way the tall girl greeted her made it seem like they had known each other for ages, and in fact, Hyoyeon did feel like it.

 

She beamed a smile back and gave her a half hug before getting into position behind the rest of the class. Hyukjae had just walked into the room.

“Evening class. Ready as ever I see!”

“OPPA!” Sooyoung mouthed while waving her lanky arms in the air. Hyukjae acknowledged her with a little wave, followed by a discreet nod of the head in Hyoyeon’s direction.

 

Hyoyeon felt her pulse quicken and a part of her dream the night before flashed in her mind. Giving herself a shake she focused on following the lesson.

 

Just like the previous class, time seemed to fly by as they started to learn more complicated moves. But their bodies were flowing from one movement to the next with greater ease and dancing was actually starting to feel natural. It was Hyukjae’s special talent – the ability to analyze every dancer’s strength and potential with just a glance at them performing the basics. So he had spent all day preparing a routine that would bring out the best in the entire team and judging by the excited, confident and accomplished looks on their faces – it was working!

**********************************************************************

Hyukjae let out a chuckle as he watched his students – it was already 80 minutes in and not a single complaint. They looked like a bunch of energizer bunnies hopped up on Red Bull and he sure didn’t want to deal with the aftermath of all of them crashing simultaneously.

“This is amazing. You guys are doing an excellent job but let’s break for 15, ok?”

16 bodies dropped to floor as if the spell surrounding them had been broken. Pretty soon groans and exclamations of pain and thirst filled the room and also.....

 

“CHOI SOOYOUNG!” the door flew open. A striking lanky woman dressed in black from head to knee-high-boots clad toe stood poised in the doorway. She had an impressive presence that made all eyes focus on her, especially the boys who were almost drooling. She gave tossed them an unimpressed dismissive wave and looked around for the loudmouth girl.

Said girl was presently cowering behind Hyoyeon with 0 success; seeing as she was almost a head taller than the petite blonde.

“Give it up Sooyoung. You’re as invisible as a pine tree.”

Hyoyeon shot her new friend a quizzical look and Sooyoung finally stepped forward to speak. “Ah neh~ Kahi seonsengnim, are you looking for me?”

“You’re in the wrong class, young lady. You completed the beginners’ level already so you should be in my class.”

SooYoung hilariously recoiled in fear, “I.. I .. jjust d..don’t think I’m r..rready Seonsengnim.”

 

Hyukjae who had been watching this exchange with a laidback grin decided to intervene.

“Noona, is there a problem? I don’t mind if this tall clumsy brat stays in my class.”

“See, monkey doesn’t mind!”

“Maybe I do, now that you’re treating me so disrespectfully!”

“Ahh mian oppa! *booing booing*"

Hyoyeon giggled from the side at the display of Choi Sooyoung’s version of aegyo. Instead of sounding cute, her voice sounded naggy and high pitched which gave it a more comedic effect. But that quite worked for Sooyoung and made her seem like an adorable giant baby.

The same thoughts seemed to be reflected in her boyfriend’s gaze. Though Hyukjae’s lips complained about the noise pollution that was Sooyoung’s aegyo, his eyes sparkled with enjoyment.

 

Out of the blue, an unpleasant sensation passed through Hyoyeon’s chest. ‘Uh stop already. You stupid thing!’ She stepped away from the three and walked towards the open window. The calming breeze was what she needed to rid this abnormal murmuring of her heart.

She could still hear snippets of their conversation – the gist of which was Kahi was the Dance School co-ordinator and she had just enrolled some new students who wanted to join the beginners’ class.  But since Hyukjae’s class was already at capacity, she had to switch Sooyoung out. This was causing Sooyoung to throw a tantrum but a sharp look from Kahi was all it took to silence her. Hyoyeon could see her point of view though – I mean, which girl wouldn’t pick classes with wonderful Hyukjae over some no-nonsense scary teacher.

 

'Wait, did I think what I think I just thought?

Darn it Kim Hyoyeon, are you suffering from some kind of saviour syndrome?'

 

She couldn’t help it.. ever since Hyukjae had rescued her and helped her through her problems so patiently, she couldn’t stop herself from seeing him in a new light – a flattering spotlight that made him seem like the sweetest most charming boy on the planet..sigh!

Mental. You are really mental! STOP RIGHT NOW! He was just being nice AND he is dating Sooyoung, your new friend and the sweetest girl ever!

 

“Hyoyeon sshi? Are you ready for class or do you need some more time to catch your breath?”

She looked up from her daydream to find Hyukjae grinning at her cheekily. Her own cheeks grew warm at that sight and not to mention the 15 pairs of eyes looking at her expectantly.

She lowered her head in apology and hastily got back into position.

‘Way to embarrass yourself, Hyoyeon.’

 

Sooyoung shot her a mournful look. “It’s out last class together, Yeonie! Life is unfair! We just met…” Hyoyeon too, felt regret at the words and gave her friend a comforting pat on her shoulder.

*****************************************************************************

“Once again, color me impressed. If you guys keep picking up everything so fast, I’m not going to have anything to teach you!” Hyukjae smiled genuinely as he spoke and then dismissed the class.

 

As usual everyone trailed off quickly until just Hyoyeon, Sooyoung and Hyukjae remained.

 

“Oppa!” Sooyoung yelled out. “Will you pretty please do me a favor?”

“Depends on what it is, Soo.”

“Well I have a date tonight and..”

‘Date?’ Hyoyeon’s ears perked up in confusion. ‘Wouldn’t they be going on the date together then?’

 

“A date? Please tell me he’s taller than you, not like that Ryeowook kid. You looked like his mom!”

“WHAT?”

“Just kidding. So you have a date and…?”

 

‘Waittaminute! they’re NOT dating? Not together? OH Thank you god! I mean.. not that.. but I mean.. I don’t even know what I mean’

 

“So,” Sooyoung’s aegyo voice was back with a vengeance, “can you please keep Siwon oppa occupied at your place so that he doesn’t give my date the third degree?”

“What time?”

“like.. in half an hour?”

Hyukjae rubbed the back of his neck, “I kind of have something important to do in the next hour, Soo… But hey! I’m sure Siwon and Tiffany are going to be too busy planning their fairytale wedding to bother you!”

 

“Tippani..” Hyoyeon repeated softly, remembering the name.

“She’s Siwon, Sooyoung’s brother’s fiancée from America. The only American name I know,” Hyukjae winked at her making her cheeks turn warm yet again.

 

Sooyoung chewed on her lip for a bit before standing up suddenly, “You’re right! I should go bribe Tiffany unnie instead. I’ll catch you guys later then.” She ran out like a hurricane leaving Hyoyeon and Hyukjae standing around.

 

Hyoyeon sneaked a peek at him – with his dishevelled hair and skin glowing from exertion – the pitter-patter in her heart only seemed to worsen. ‘Get out of here fast, Hyoyeon!’ She picked up her bags immediately.

“You ready?”

She nodded and they walked out together to the foyer.

“So I guess I’ll see you tomorrow seonsengnim. Good night!”

 

“Wait!” he held her back by the arm, “Where are you going? My car’s this way!”

“Car?”

“Yes my car! I’m dropping you off.”

“B..but..” she stammered slightly, “you said you had something important to do tonight.. so you should go ahead.”

“Ah,” he rubbed the back of his neck again before smiling at her sheepishly, “this was it.. dropping you home, I mean!”

Hyoyeon’s eyes widened in surprise, “But why? You really don’t have to. It’s too far out of your way and I can take the subway home. It’s no problem. Really!” The curse of the verbal diarrhea! She kicked herself mentally but Hyukjae’s demeanour suddenly turned serious.

“Look Hyoyeon, you made me promise not to tell Donghae or abujee about what happened last night, right?”

She nodded.

“Then it’s on my conscience if anything bad happens so I have to make sure you at least get home safe.”

“b..but..” ‘WHY?’ She wanted to ask but stopped herself.. ‘he just explained himself, didn’t he?’. However, Hyoyeon just couldn’t justify making him drive an extra hour just because of her.

Hyukjae was aware of her dilemma. “Don’t worry. I love driving at night and I actually want something in return too!”

“What?”

========================================================================================

thankyou for the lovely feedback. i would hug all your comments if i could but the only thing i can do is write, so here is a long chapter with some hyohyuk development. hope you like it.

i can't reveal if this is going to be a hyohyuk or hyohae eventually but i will say that there will be more hyohae moments (when this bad author brings poor Fishy back from across the Atlantic teehee)