strong enough

If you were mine...

 

“Dad?”

Hyukjae was trying to keep his voice even but it was definitely not an answer he had expected.

 

“Well technically he’s my step dad but he’s the only father figure I had growing up so yeah.. that’s appa.”

“I’m sorry. It must’ve been hard for you.” Hyukjae told her sincerely causing Hyoyeon to glance over at him with interest. It was odd seeing this side of him – she was so used to the idea of him and Donghae stuck like glue – in her mind she had pictured his personality to be just as playful and childish as Donghae’s.

And she was very thankful for that at the moment. It gave her something to think about other than the crippling encounter she had just had with her father.

But as the memory came back to her, it almost made her hunch over with nausea and terror.

 

“Hey, are you okay?”

Hyukjae pulled the car over to an empty parking lot and hurriedly rushed out. Reaching her side he held the door open, “I think you need some fresh air.” He then helped her out and the two sat down on a picnic table bench.

 

They stared up at the starry night sky in a companionable silence until Hyoyeon finally broke it – speaking in a faraway voice, “My mom eloped with my birth father when she was just 18 but he got scared when she got pregnant and ditched us for his family inheritance. So my mom ended up marrying Ajusshi when I was two. He certainly was no saint but you know, I was just glad that I finally had someone to call “appa”. Then when I was around five, ajusshi lost his job at the factory and started drinking and gambling. The days he won, he’d buy us samgyupsal and we’d have a family feast but those were rare.” Tears threatened to spill over her cheeks as she continued. “More often than not, he’d end up losing. My mom worked at a restaurant but her earnings were barely enough to cover our rent and food and I was too young to help out..so we had to pawn off everything we owned to pay off his debts.”

 

Hyukjae listened with a mixture of horror and sadness. He could have never imagined that the cheerful girl with a smile brighter than sunshine hid so many scars within herself. Unconsciously, his hand reached over to pat her back.

 

“Then when everything was sold off, he finally sold himself to the gang. He did all the dog-work for the big boss. I think it was all the grovelling that he had to do that made him so angry so he’d come home and beat my mom and me up just to feel in control. But my mom always stepped in to protect me and she ended up getting hit twice as badly..” Hyoyeon was sobbing now, “until my mom’s body simply couldn’t take anymore and she died just a month before my 10th birthday.”

 

Hyukjae pulled the crying girl close to his chest. That was all he could do to let her know how sorry he was for her painful past. They remained like that for a few minutes until Hyoyeon’s crying subsided and she pulled away with a brave smile.

“It’s okay though. I think my mom’s in heaven now and looking after me like a guardian angel cause my uncle – who had been searching for my mom all this time – found me a week later. They took me in and convinced me to testify against ajusshi and his gang. I just didn’t know that he was already released...”

 

“i.. I can’t even imagine how you must be feeling..” It was his sorry attempt to make her feel better but the truth was he already had. She owed everything – even the fact that she was alive and breathing right now – to him

.

She turned to him suddenly. “Oh how rude of me! I forgot to thank you and also, I’m sorry to for all the trouble.”

“Don’t apologize! I’m just glad I was there at the right time.”

She nodded, “Then can I trouble you a bit more?”

“Of course.”

“Can you please not mention this to Donghae or his dad?”

“If you want but… isn’t it better if the people around you know so that you can be safe? I mean, the man seems dangerous and er.. you seem pretty shaken up by the whole thing.”

Hyoyeon took in big gulps of air, “No, I’m better now. It was just shock..” She paused to give him a genuine grin, “And I think they totally bought your married couple act back there. You were so convincing even I was wondering if we were actually married and I had amnesia or something!”

 

Hyukjae smiled back – happy to see the light back in her eyes.

 ‘Honestly, it wasn’t that hard,’ he thought silently.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

A/N

I was listening to this song while writing. I think it applies more to Donghae and Hyoyeon but it also fits HyoHyuk's situation here so just leaving it in case you want a song for the mood.

 

 

 

Sorry for not updating in so long; with a wordy and heavy chapter to boot. But i want to get the dark stuff out of the way so that the fun can begin. bear with me and comment if you want me to update more. I have 60% of this fic written. not a bribe or anythingdevil bad author!