Confession

Straight as a ruler

Joonmyun’s leaning against his car waiting for him. Waiting for Yixing. Neither say anything to each other; Yixing because he’s too scared to say something, Joonmyun because he’s trying to say something but the words just won’t come out.

Yixing knew they would have to face each other eventually. He has a sneaking suspicion that Kyungsoo played a part in getting Joonmyun here, but he’ll leave that argument for another time. He tries to remain calm, tries to think of something to say, but then memories of that night come flooding back to him and he begins to panic again. He wasn’t ready to face Joonmyun yet, not like this, and does the best thing he can manage in this situation- he turns and begins to walk away.

“Yixing you can’t keep ignoring me. Please.”

Yixing stops walking and turns to him, waiting to hear what Joonmyun has to say.

“We really need to talk… about everything that has happened. I just need ten minutes of your time and then I promise I’ll leave you alone.”

“… okay. Ten minutes” Yixing replies, waiting for Joonmyun’s next choice of words

“I don’t. We can’t talk about it out here. Just come back to my place where we can talk in private and then afterwards I’ll pay for a taxi to get you home. Just please do this for me”

Yixing stands there in silence, biting his bottom lip so hard he wouldn’t be surprised if it started to bleed. Joonmyun watches him, praying that he’ll agree to go with him.

“Fine” he eventually sighs, “I’ll go back to your place” ignoring the sigh of relief that escapes from Joonmyun.

The drive back to Joonmyun’s is quiet and tense. Yixing spends it with his back turned to Joonmyun staring out of the window and Joonmyun spends it gripping the steering wheel and sparing Yixing the occasional glance. The only noise in the car comes from the radio, currently playing a string of adverts, so there weren’t even any songs to keep their minds off of things. Joonmyun wants to say something to Yixing, anything to break this unbearable silence, but now isn’t the time for that.

The silence is still there even after they arrive at Joonmyun’s apartment. Joonmyun sits down on his sofa and pats a spot next to him for Yixing to sit down. Yixing hesitates for a moment before choosing to sit down, albeit further away from Joonmyun than the other was hoping for.

“Ten minutes” Yixing reminds him, causing Joonmyun to sigh as he thinks of what to say next.

“I…” he starts, but stops himself. Now wasn’t the time for panic, especially when he finally had Yixing with him after days of trying to get him. Composing himself, Joonmyun takes in a shaky breath, briefly pausing before he starts again.

“For the past week I’ve been doing some thinking. About a lot of things, concerning us two. At first, I didn’t want to believe any of my feelings but then I spoke to Jongdae and he told me to think about it and I just… I just got so confused that I…” he’s rambling again and with a sigh, he runs a hand through his hair. “I need you to kiss me again.”

Yixing stares at him in disbelief, blinking once or twice, trying to comprehend what Joonmyun had just told him. “What?”

“Look, I-I know it sound really weird but-”

“No!” Yixing interrupts, jumping from the sofa, “No Joonmyun! This isn’t fair. For a long time I’ve liked you and I was trying to accept the fact that you would never like me back, I really did try. Then you started inviting me on these evenings out and it messed with me… I didn’t know where I stood anymore. The kiss was a huge mistake and I felt tortured over doing it, and now you’re asking me to do it again? I can’t… I’m going home.”

Yixing only gets as far as taking a couple of steps towards the front door before Joonmyun has gripped his arm, gently pulling him back to the sofa and pulling him back down. He removes his hand from Yixing’s arm, but keeps a soft grip on his sleeve, lowering his gaze to the floor.

“I’ve never told anyone this before, not even my brother nor Jongdae” he begins quietly, gaze still locked on the floor. “When I was fourteen, there was this guy in my class. We only spoke on occasions he would sit next to me, but I liked him. My friends would talk about their crushes on girls they had, and all I could think about was him. I never told anybody though, I was told that to be a guy and like a guy… it was wrong. So, I kept quiet, kept it a secret. When I was seventeen, someone saw me staring at him as we were changing after sports. I denied it, I didn’t want him to think of me a freak, I didn’t want to be out casted from my friends.”

“In my first year of university, I met another guy at a party. We got to know each other and we… fooled around a bit. He wanted to take it further, introduce me to people as his boyfriend. I panicked. I had only started to make new friends, and it was only a short time after Jongdae had come out. There were so many nights he’d call me crying because of how his dad had reacted and I was scared of how my parents would react. We had such a great thing going on and I… I ruined it with my own insecurities.”

Without realising, Joonmyun’s grip on Yixing’s sleeve had tightened significantly. Taking a deep breath in, he loosens his grip, but doesn’t muster up the courage to look at Yixing just yet.

“For years I suppressed my emotions. I would date so many girls to try and make a point to myself, but they’d never last long. I only agreed to get married because I was upholding my image of being a perfect son. My parents have tough standards and I didn’t want to let them down, even if it meant I spent the rest of my life unhappy. But then… then…”

“Then what?” Yixing asks, almost in a whisper.

“I met another guy. So many years of repressing my emotions however took me a while to realise how I truly felt about him. I didn’t even know I liked him until he walked out in a suit and I liked how good it looked on him. I realised that I had feelings for him when I felt jealous whenever that barista guy was talking to him. I didn’t want to do anything though, because I didn’t know how he felt about me… until he told me liked me… until he kissed me, but ran away before I could properly react.”

Only now does he have the courage to properly look at Yixing, his eyes in a silent plead. “Yixing, kiss me.”

Yixing still sits there in doubt, hesitant to do anything. With a sigh, Joonmyun gets up and pulls Yixing up with him. Staring at him, he cups Yixing’s face in his hands and pulls him down, meeting him halfway for a kiss. Joonmyun kisses Yixing, again and again until finally he feels Yixing’s hands on his waist and feels Yixing begin to kiss him back.

Everything about this feels right. No other kiss had made Joonmyun’s stomach do somersaults until this one. No other kiss had so much feeling and passion put into it until this one. No other kiss had ever made Joonmyun so sure of his feelings until this one.

Yixing gasps when the back of his legs hit he edge of the sofa and he loses his balance, falling back and taking Joonmyun with him. Joonmyun has enough sense to put his hands out and break his fall before his face smacked into Yixing’s. The two of them remain in a stunned silence for a couple of seconds before they burst out laughing, Joonmyun moving around so that he was now straddling Yixing, hands gently running through his hair.  

“Did you mean everything that you said about me?” Yixing asks, wrapping his arms around Joonmyun’s waist and pulling him in closer.

“Would I really lie to you?” Joonmyun asks as Yixing shakes his head, biting his bottom lip

“And you’re sure about this… all of this?”

“The surest I’ve ever been.”

“Cheesy” Yixing teases, laughing when Joonmyun gently pinches his cheek. “Now that we’re finally doing this, don’t go running away from me. I’ve dreamt about this for too long.”

“I’m not going anywhere. I promise” Joonmyun whispers as Yixing’s smiles widen and he tugs Joonmyun down for another kiss. Joonmyun could definitely get used to this.

 

 

Yixing spends the next morning skipping around the café humming happily to himself. Any other day, Kyungsoo would be confused by his friend’s actions. Yixing hated getting up early to open the café. Usually he would walk in grumbling moodily to himself and still half asleep. Today however, Kyungsoo catches a couple of dark marks on Yixing’s waist when his shirt rides up slightly and he shoots a knowing smirk at his friend.

“Are you okay Yixing?” he asks, already knowing the answer he’s going to get.

“Not just great, I feel amazing!” Yixing replies happily, skipping over to Kyungsoo and taking his hands, spinning the two of them around. “Everything in my life is going great for once Soo.”

Kyungsoo laughs as Yixing releases his hands and continues getting the café ready for opening. As long as he was happy, Kyungsoo was happy for him.

Just so you know, if you do anything to hurt Yixing, I’m hunting you down and kicking your . Don’t screw this up.


¯\_(ツ)_/¯