Acceptance

Straight as a ruler

a week earlier

Joonmyun rapidly knocks on Jongdae’s door until his cousin finally rips it open and stares at him, concern etched onto his face.

“Yixing likes me” is all Joonmyun can manage to say and Jongdae silently steps aside to let him in. Joonmyun goes straight to the living room and sits down, absentmindedly Sniffles when she lies across his lap. Jongdae comes back to the living room after a moment or so, two glasses and the last of his wine in hand.

“We’re obviously gonna need this” he says, placing a glass in front of Joonmyun and filling it up for him. “Now, as calmly as possible, tell me everything that happened.”

And so Joonmyun tells Jongdae everything that had happened when he went to pick drunk Yixing up. The conversation he had with Chanyeol, how Yixing pinned him against the car, and how since then he hadn’t been able to get the drunken confession out of his head and he didn’t know what to do anymore. Hearing the explanation all the way through, Jongdae merely shrugs his shoulders and takes a sip of his wine.

“I don’t know what to tell you” he says

“That’s it? That’s your great advice?” Joonmyun asks incredulously

“Well what do you want to hear? He was really drunk and this was probably a drunken thing he did. He doesn’t remember saying it so that’s that.”

“But people are supposedly more honest with their feelings when they’re drunk!” Joonmyun exclaims as Jongdae looks at him with raised eyebrows

“Why are you so caught up with this?” he asks, and Joonmyun stumbles on his words, not able to get a single word out. “Then I rest my case.”

Rest his case? What was that supposed to mean? It really didn’t help when Joonmyun asked Jongdae that exact question and all he got was his cousin laughing in his face in return.

“It’s so obvious!” Jongdae exclaims, scoffing when Joonmyun still looks confused. “Oh come on Joonmyun! It’s so obvious. No matter how many places I suggested we go to eat, you’d always insist on going to café on the days Yixing was working. Despite being tired, you still picked him up and took him even after his drunk confession and stayed with him until he fell asleep. Let’s not forget that little ‘date’ you two had together where you took him to buy a suit.”  

“Wait… are you trying to say that I… that I like him?” Joonmyun asks and Jongdae starts laughing again, clinking their glasses together.

“Took you long enough to admit it!”

“I’m not admitting anything!” Joonmyun shoots back, “You’re just assuming I like Yixing. What, because I like the stuff at the café? Or that I’m just being a good friend and taking him out to experience the city more than he has?”

“It’s okay to like him Joonmyun. There’s nothing wrong with it” Jongdae assures, patting him on the back

“But I’m not gay” Joonmyun whispers, more to himself than to Jongdae.

Jongdae sighs and sets his glass on the table, taking Joonmyun’s glass from him as well. “Look, don’t go into a full panic attack on me. Just go home and think about all of this. I have enough on my plate already and I don’t want to have to worry about you as well.”

“Why? What’s happened to you?”

With a sigh, Jongdae begins to tell Joonmyun everything that happened with Sehun. Unlike Joonmyun, he’s a lot calmer about this, and is nowhere near as panicky as his cousin was.

“He’ll have to come back eventually” Jongdae finishes “His exams are around the corner and there’s no way he’d jeopardise something he’s been working towards all of this time.”

“Why do we always end up with the complicated lives?” Joonmyun asks, grabbing his glass and downing his drink.

“I ask myself that all the time.”

 

 

Joonmyun takes Jongdae’s advice and goes home to think. There was no way he liked Yixing like that. Really. Sure, he would always suggest going to the café to eat rather than anywhere else, but they really did sell some good stuff in there that was good for money! Deep down there was something inside of him that enjoyed it when he’d walk into the café and see Yixing look up and smile at him, but he wasn’t accepting any of it!

Then there was evening after he took Yixing suit shopping that they went to the coffee shop and the barista started flirting with Yixing. Something in Joonmyun stirred, and to his horror he realised that he was jealous. He was jealous of this guy trying to flirt with Yixing when he felt like he had no right to be jealous in the first place! Then Joonmyun thinks back to the very first time he and Yixing met, and he remembers thinking that Yixing was pretty cute.

“Oh no” he whispers to himself, slumping in his seat and running a hand through his hair.

Jongdae had been right, Joonmyun did like Yixing. Joonmyun had spent most of his life denying rumours which said otherwise, that he had tried supressing any feelings he may have felt towards the guy.

Remembering the text that Yixing had sent him, Joonmyun grabs his phone, opening it up to stare at it. He could message Yixing and tell him, maybe even call him and tell him over the phone, invite him over perhaps. Joonmyun thinks about it, but then puts his phone away with a sigh. If he was going to tell Yixing, he had to think about how he really felt before jumping into anything. If he did tell Yixing, he wanted to do it properly.

 

 

“Yixing, let me in… please”.

Joonmyun’s been outside Yixing’s apartment for the past ten minutes trying to get him to come out. Though still in shock that Yixing had actually kissed him, he had still run after him and was still trying to coax him out to talk.

“Yixing, please don’t shut me out. I just want to talk to you”.

Leaning against the door, Joonmyun sighs and gently knocks again, but Yixing still doesn’t open the door. In the silence, he thinks he can hear Yixing crying from the other side.

Well this was just great. What was a lovely evening had turned into a complete catastrophe. Joonmyun even had a plan; take Yixing out and spend some time on the rink, enjoy a couple of glasses of mulled cider, and then walk him home. If he was feeling brave enough, he may have finally told Yixing just how he was feeling. Instead what he got was Yixing kissing him out of nowhere and then running away from him crying.

Joonmyun spends another five minutes trying to get Yixing to talk to him before finally giving up and going home. His plans had been screwed up, and now he had to try and fix it.

 

 

Joonmyun’s on his lunch break when he gets the chance to read the text Kyungsoo had sent him. After he had forced Joonmyun to tell him what had happened, Kyungsoo had told him he was going to sort everything out with Yixing. Whatever that meant, Joonmyun didn’t get the chance to ask before Kyungsoo had asked for him number and then marched back to enjoy the rest of his break. Joonmyun hadn’t heard from him again until this moment.

He’s working today. Don’t screw this up.

Easier said than done. He had to try and salvage something that had almost been completely ruined. Luckily for Joonmyun, he finished early today and would be able to get to the café just as it shut and everybody else had gone home. He was just so scared. How would he talk to Yixing? Would Yixing want to talk to him? What if after everything that had happened, Yixing just told him to forget it and asked if they remained just friends instead?

He tries to keep his mind off of it, but it’s the only thought that occupies his mind for the rest of the day. Even as he waits by his car for Yixing to come out, he still can’t stop his nerves. He only has one chance to sort this out. His worries are only worsened when Yixing finally comes out of the café and when he finally notices Joonmyun stood there waiting for him…


If you guys think that after the whole Sulay thing sorts itself out that this fic will end, it actually wont. First of al, we need to sort Chenhun out and see what happens to them. Secondly...  a certain character needs to be introduced... a notorious character from all the way back in chapter one who has acted as the catalyst for all of the events that have happened... 

Until the next chapter!