Suit and Tie

Straight as a ruler

Yixing locks the café whilst Sehun and Joonmyun are stood nearby chatting. Yixing had to admit, it had been quite a hectic day for all of them. First, he had to get up and drop his parents off at the airport (where he only cried a little bit), then halfway through the day, Kyungsoo suddenly ran out of the café and hadn’t returned since. All Yixing had gotten was a text message assuring him that Kyungsoo was alive but he was busy doing something right now. Sehun swore he left just so that he could avoid the large influx of people who had come in near lunchtime. By the time the café had quietened out again and people were finally beginning to leave, Sehun and Yixing were thanking every divinity that existed that they were able to close early today.

“You got your kitten for free? That jerk’s making me pay full price if I want one!”

“Well, at least we know who Jongdae’s favourite is now”

Yixing makes sure one more time that the café is securely locked before turning to face the other two. Joonmyun has his arms crossed and a sulk on his face, Sehun is stood there sticking his tongue out looking quite victorious. Joonmyun offers Sehun a ride home which he politely declines and the three of them part ways, Yixing and Joonmyun heading to the car.

“So where do you want to go?” Joonmyun asks as Yixing gets into the passenger’s side and puts on his seatbelt

“Well… before my parents left, they gave me an invite to a family wedding that they’re making me go to. Except, I don’t have a suit… and I have no idea where any suit shops are”

Yixing sits in his seat blushing whilst Joonmyun thinks for a moment before starting his car and quickly driving down the road.

“You’re lucky you finished earlier today. The shop I usually go to get my suits shuts later than the others, so if we make it in good time we should get you an appointment”

The place was nice, Yixing would admit that. Just from looking at the exterior, Yixing was glad his parents gave him an extra bit of money to get a decent suit before they left, otherwise there was no way he would be able to afford a suit from this place. The shop’s owner, Zitao, rushes forward to happily greet Joonmyun when he enters, Joonmyun having bought enough suits from the place for him to be considered an old friend.

Once Joonmyun had explained to Zitao what was happening, he sat back and let him take Yixing around the place, letting him choose which suits he wanted to try on. It was nice to have another Chinese person to speak to for once, and Yixing was more than happy to chat and share stories with Zitao whilst he picked out a number of suits, before being ushered into one of the changing rooms.

“What about this one?” Yixing asks, stepping out in his fourth suit- a grey one this time- letting Joonmyun have a look before he shakes his head and Yixing sighs in defeat. “Why is suit shopping so hard?” he whines as Joonmyun gets up and he and Zitao go wondering around the shop themselves.

When they return, they have two new suits with them, handing them to Yixing and pushing him back into the changing room. The first suit that he tried on, he didn’t like at all, and wouldn’t even step out of the changing room so the others could have a look. The second suit is another black suit, this time with a waistcoat, and as Yixing studies himself in the mirror, he does admit that he looks pretty good in it.

“How do I look?” he asks when he steps out, Joonmyun studying him for a moment before he gets up and walks over to him. Yixing tries his hardest to not make it obvious just how badly something as simple as Joonmyun walking over to him was affecting him. Joonmyun stands in front of him, fixes his tie, and studies him on more time before nodding in approval.

“I told you black looks good on you” he says and Yixing says nothing, he just nods his head and goes bac to the changing room. He’s definitely getting this suit.

“You two look good together” Zitao says as Yixing pays for his suit. Joonmyun’s stood by the entrance laughing and joking with a couple of other employees.

“We’re not together” Yixing replies, “He’s not gay”

Zitao studies Yixing for a moment, his expression shows that he doesn’t believe Yixing, but he nonetheless shrugs his shoulders and drops it there. “Okay then, whatever you say”.

Yixing thanks Zitao for helping him out, and Zitao tells him to come back to the shop anytime he wanted a chat. When Yixing joins Joonmyun by the entrance, the latter suggests that they stop off at a nearby coffee shop, and of course Yixing happily agrees.

 

 

The coffee shop they enter is just across the road from the mall in this particular area of the city. There a couple of shoppers who are currently sat down, bags upon bags of shopping around them as they converse and laugh with each other. It was very warm and cosy, and with the weather getting much colder as the weeks went by, this atmosphere was warmly welcomed by both Yixing and Joonmyun as they walked up to the front.

There were two baristas currently working. One was already serving another customer whilst the other, Minseok, stood patiently waiting for Yixing and Joonmyun to order.

“What are you getting?” Joonmyun asks, reaching into his pocket for his wallet. Yixing however snatches his arm away, glaring at him and shaking his head

“Oh no mister, I’m paying for this. This is me paying you back for helping me with my parents”

Joonmyun blinks once, twice, before laughing and shaking his head “It’s just a couple of drinks Yixing, I can pay for this”

“Look Mister I-work-for-Samsung-and-can-afford-nice-suits, I said that I was going to pay you back and this is me paying you back… partly, because I also need to pay you back for taking me to buy my suit” Yixing replies with a tone of finality as Joonmyun laughs and nods his head, finally conceding.

Winning this round, Yixing looks up at the menu above them, trying to decide what to have. “What would you recommend?” he asks Minseok who pauses to think before replying.

“Though not exactly the weather for them, our Frappuccino’s sell well, especially the strawberries and cream flavour” he begins, “Our Lattes are also quite popular, I’d personally recommend the caramel flavour. But, if you want my honest opinion, go for the hot chocolate. We’re currently doing a Belgian chocolate flavour line and they’re delicious. You’ll like it a lot”

Even if the guy may have winked at Yixing after that, he either ignored it or was completely oblivious “Okay, I’ll take one of those then” he says, turning to Joonmyun who is stood there with a frown on his face. “What are you having?”.

As if in a trance, Joonmyun snaps out of it and turns to Yixing. Though he’s stopped frowning, he still looks troubled by something, but Yixing wont press him for now. “I’ll just take the Caramel Latte” he replies quietly and once the drinks are paid for- in which Yixing isn’t sure if Minseok’s fingers touch his deliberately as he’s handed his change- the two of them sit down at an empty table near the window.

“You don’t have to pay me back for taking you out for the suit fitting just now” Joonmyun says, but Yixing shakes his head in disagreement

“I do! That’s twice now you’ve helped me out. I need to pay you back!” Yixing exclaims

“It’s like I told you last time, this is what friends do. You don’t need to pay me back I promise”

Yixing’s mood turns sour and he focuses his attention outside, staring at the people walking by until a certain two people walk by holding hands, laughing and joking.

“Wait… is that Kyungsoo and Jongin?” Yixing asks, jumping up out of his seat, but Joonmyun grabs his wrist, stopping him from running out

“Leave them be” he says, gently tugging on Yixing’s arm to get him to sit back down

“B-but Kyungsoo-”

“Is a grown man who can take care of himself. Sit down and relax for a while, pester him in the morning”

Joonmyun lets go of Yixing’s wrist when he sits down and just as he does so, Minseok comes over with their drinks. Yixing eagerly takes his, which has been topped with a generous amount of whipped cream, and takes a sip, eyes widening in delight.

“Wow! This is good!” he exclaims, making Minseok laugh

“I told you you’d like it” he says, walking away whilst Joonmyun sits in silence and drinks his. Yixing takes another big sip, relishing in its taste before turning his attention back to Joonmyun.

“How does yours taste?” he asks

“Good. Very good” Joonmyun replies, frowning before he begins to lean over the table. Yixing freezes, heartbeat increasing as Joonmyun gets closer and closer until… he wipes his thumb against Yixing’s nose.

“You had some whipped cream on your nose” he explains, Yixing quickly checking his nose and blushing, Joonmyun laughing at him.

 

 

Joonmyun pulls up outside of Yixing’s apartment block, watching the latter as he gathers his belongings and turns to face him.

“Thanks again, especially for taking me to get a suit” Yixing says before pouting slightly, “I still owe you for that, so don’t think about trying to worm your way out of it”

Joonmyun gives up arguing and puts his hands up in defeat, a playful grin spreading across his face. “Okay, okay, whatever you say. You still owe me and I’m not allowed to worm my out, got it”.

Yixing smiles with him, his eyes wondering down to Joonmyun’s lips before he realises what he’s doing, jumping back and scrambling for the door. “I-I’ll see you later! Thanks again!” he calls back, shutting the door behind him and running inside. Joonmyun watches him leave, confused by his actions.


I'd like to thank every cheesy film and every cheesy Disney and Nickelodeon show that I have watched growing up which helped inspire most of the content in this chapter. 

Like the cameo appearances I put in?

Also, somebody asked me in the comments section the ages of the characters in this fic because we only know Sehun's age. So without further ado (in case anybody else is curious): 

Sehun- 18 going on 19 (which we already knew) 

Jongin- 25. Now... this one was difficult, mostly because I made him a newly qualified vet and if I made him too young, it would have been too unrealistic. The person in the comment section said that in the US it took like 8 years. Needless to say I searched the web and consulted Seoul National University's Vetinary practice page (legit, I take my research seriously) and it says that in South Korea it takes only 6 years to become a vet. Add that to how old Jongin would have been going into uni, and adding some experience he's built up after qualifying, he's 25. 

Kyungsoo- 25 going on 26 

Jongdae- 26 

Yixing- 27 

Joonmyun- 27 going on 28 

Until the next chapter!!