Advice

Straight as a ruler

Up until their visit, Yixing’s parents had only heard of the café he worked at and had only seen photos of the food that their son helped to prepare daily. First on the agenda the day after their arrival, Yixing immediately took them to the café, properly introduced them to Kyungsoo and Sehun, and sat them down as he served them, chatting animatedly.

Since finding Joonmyun in the apartment the night before, Yixing’s mum kept asking her son whether he had finally found himself a boyfriend. Each time Yixing would blush and tell her to quit it, which she did, for a while until she started to ask again. It was a lucky thing that Joonmyun’s Mandarin was atrocious and he couldn’t figure out what was said when he was there, otherwise Yixing would have never gotten over the embarrassment. He would have moved back to China there and then!

Watching his parents enjoy their cakes with a smile on his face, Yixing looks over to the counter and frowns slightly at the expression on Sehun’s face. Making sure his parents were occupied enough, he makes his way over, sitting in front of Sehun and smiling at him when the latter finally acknowledges his existence.

“Are you okay Sehun-ah? You look very distracted today”

“It’s nothing, not really”

“Are you sure? You can tell me, I won’t tell anybody else”

Sehun hesitates for a moment, biting on his lip and looking around before he finally gives up, leaning in so he was slightly closer to Yixing. “How do you… how would you act around someone you like?”

Yixing ponders his question for a moment, and then the realisation of just exactly what Sehun had asked him hits him, and he stares back at the younger with wide eyes and a smile as big as the Cheshire Cat’s. Before he can make any exclamation however, Sehun clamps his hand over his mouth, frantically shaking his head. Calming down a bit, Yixing removes Sehun’s hands off of him, but that still doesn’t stop him from quietly squealing like a school girl.

“Do you have a crush?” he whispers to Sehun

“No” Sehun scoffs, “They’re just someone I’ve… shown an interest in lately” he adds, lightly blushing

“Is it someone we know?”

“Look are you gonna help me or not?” Sehun asks embarrassedly, and after getting his share of laughs, Yixing nods his head and pats him on the shoulder before properly answering his question.

“Neither me nor Kyungsoo are probably the best examples of how to act around someone you like. But if I was going to give any good advice; don’t make it too obvious you like them. Start talking to them more, maybe try and get their number and invite them out for a couple of drinks”

“I’m not legal yet” Sehun interjects

“Then take them out for a milkshake or whatever you kids do these days” Yixing replies before sighing, “Look, just be yourself. As long as you’re not a and you’re actually nice to them, they might fall for you too”

“And if they don’t?” Sehun asks

“Well you can come crying to me and Kyungsoo and we’ll feed you all the cake you could want until you’re better” Yixing replies, smiling when Sehun laughs and shakes his head before a customer walks in and he’s forced back to work.

 

 

“So did they enjoy your food?”

“Enjoy? They loved the food! And it was my food it was our food. Remember how many times I nearly burned the place down?” Yixing asks, Joonmyun laughing from the other line

“For prideful parents, we’ll say you made it all and I was there to supervise” Joonmyun replies and Yixing smiles as he lies back down on the sofa.

His parents had gone to bed earlier in the night and with nothing decent that he could sit down to watch, Yixing was bored. It was way too early for him to try and go to bed, and Kyungsoo was still in his moping about (if Yixing wasn’t going to deal with him sometime soon, then Sehun definitely was). Most of his friends back in China would either still be working or would be spending time with their families, so it wasn’t like he could talk to them or anything.

“I really need to get out more” he had muttered to himself, stopping when he got to Joonmyun’s number. Sure, Joonmyun had only given his number to call him if he needed anything, but it wouldn’t hurt if called him just for a simple chat, would it?

By the time he realises just what he’s doing, Joonmyun had already answered the phone and it was too late to do anything else. Luckily for him, Joonmyun was all up for talking, and fifteen minutes later they were still on the phone to each other.

“I still need to pay you back for this” Yixing says, “It’s not fair that you did all of that for me and I don’t do anything in return”

“And how are you going to do that?”

“Let me take you out for a drink or something. Anywhere you want to go, I’ll take you there” Yixing offers

“By using the list I gave you for your parents?” Joonmyun teases, making Yixing blush

“Hey!” he whines, “I’m trying to be nice!”

“Okay, okay” Joonmyun concedes “It’s not like my schedule is full right now so anytime you’re free I’m game”

If Yixing could just forget that Joonmyun was a straight man and he had no chance of getting with him, he would have been able to enjoy this little chat a lot more. Yixing was selfish though, and even though they had established a strong friendship he couldn’t help but want more, imagining himself actually being with Joonmyun. It was never going to happen, but the revelation was just too much for Yixing to accept.

“How about Thursday evening? We’re closing the café early”

“Sounds great! I’ll see you then”


Now that I think about, Yixing and Kyungsoo are literally the worse people to get advice from in this context 

Also, the bit where Sehun's like "I'm not legal yet", in Korea you're not considered an adult until you're 19 and that means you cant drink until then. In this I've made Sehun 18 eventually going on 19... in case anybody was interested... 

Until the next chapter!