Tourists

Straight as a ruler

Since his unexpected leave from work, Joonmyun was finding any means possible to keep himself entertained. His boss had made sure he couldn’t take anything home with him to make sure he was able to properly relax, but for Joonmyun this was a nightmare. How was he supposed to keep himself entertained? For the most part, he found himself hanging out at Kyungsoo’s café a lot more than usual. He was pretty sure all of the cake eating he was doing was not good for his waistline, but what else was he supposed to do? Spend the day helping Jongdae as his cat nears her inevitable labour? No thanks.

Around this time, Joonmyun had caught a rather nasty flu. Probably his body’s way of telling him that he should have taken his leave a lot earlier than he was forced to. With a scolding from Jongdae about going to the doctors so late, Joonmyun spent almost two weeks in bed trying to recover. When he next ventured into the café, he still wasn’t a hundred percent better, but he was now able to go places without feeling exhausted a minute or so later.

“I had to get out for a bit, it felt like I was going insane” Joonmyun explains, “Plus when you have your parents constantly calling you, there’s only so much you can take”

Ah yes, his parents. A topic that had popped up numerous times when Joonmyun had previously come to the café. Yixing really tried empathising with the guy, but he’s never been in the situation- and never wants to be- where the person he was supposed to marry never turned up. The most drama he had with his parents was their reaction to when they found out he was looking to move to Seoul to further his catering career. In fact, they reacted more violently to this compared to finding out their son was gay! The most Yixing could do was reassure Joonmyun that everything was going to be fine and that he needed to rest so that he could get better again.

“Enough about my life though, it’s bringing the mood down” Joonmyun says with a wave of his hand, “How’s life been treating you? Probably better than mine”

“If you take Kyungsoo running to hide whenever Jongin comes to talk to him, then yeah, my life’s been great. Even Sehun is pulling his hair out over this” Yixing replies before sighing, “I don’t know, it’s just, with Kyungsoo being like this, the café picking up a lot more than usual, and that I’ve got to pick my parents up from the airport later on… today has been really stressful so far.”

“And here’s me thinking a reunion with your parents was a cause to be happy”

Yixing was happy. Happy couldn’t even begin to describe how he felt with his patents coming to visit him after so long apart. It was originally supposed to be a surprise, but with Kyungsoo’s Mandarin being so poor and his parents’ Korean being even poorer, the original plan quickly fell apart and was revealed a lot earlier than anticipated.

“What’s getting me worked up the most though is that my parents will want me to show them around Seoul… I don’t know this place except where Kyungsoo’s taken me and the route to the shops. Where am I supposed to go?” Yixing asks, Joonmyun finishing his hot chocolate before asking for a pen and paper.

Yixing watches intently as Joonmyun starts writing down a list of places he could possibly take his parents, including major tourist spots and other places only locals would possibly know. “You know, to make it look like you’ve been out and properly explored the city” Joonmyun explains, grinning when Yixing pouts in response. Next, he writes down a series of restaurants ranging from pricey to cheap as well as street market stools they had to try out.

“If you type the names of the locations onto the internet, you’re bound to get directions” Joonmyun says, “But if you’re really lost, then there are plenty of tourist centres and if you walk into one of them, I’m sure there’s at least one person there who speak Mandarin”

Yixing carefully reads over the sheet handed to him, overwhelmed with just how much Joonmyun had written. Yixing was expecting nothing less than a few notes or bullet points of what he could whilst his parents were visiting, not some full-blown plan complete with trains and buses he could take!

“Wow… they’re only staying for a few days!” he says, his comment making Joonmyun laugh and shrug his shoulders

“I wanted to give you as many options as possible” he replies, “But of course I am expecting the same in return if I ever land a business trip to China” he jokes, Yixing’s nod conveying the upmost seriousness that he would indeed do so.

“I’ll also teach you some Mandarin. Starting with the swear words first!” he says excitedly, making Joonmyun laugh

“Why the swear words?”

“They’re the more interesting words! Kyungsoo almost killed our friend Baekhyun when he found out I was improving my Korean quickly through swear words he was teaching me! It was great!”

Yixing then proceeds to spend the next couple of minutes teaching Joonmyun some Mandarin swear words, in and out of serving customers, promising that the next time he would teach him the more colourful and expressive phrases.

“But don’t go saying them out loud, just in case there are any Mandarin speakers in Seoul”

By the time Joonmyun leaves the café, he’s learnt at least three different ways of telling someone to off and two different ways of saying . Definitely his most productive day in a while. When he leaves, Yixing clutches the paper Joonmyun had given him to his chest, slumping against the counter, Sehun looking at him increduously. Why did Joonmyun have to be so perfect, and yet so infuriating at the same time?

“Oh come on, not you too!”

 

 

With nothing to watch and most of his friends either still working or- in Jongdae’s case- babysitting his niece, Joonmyun lies back on his sofa staring at the ceiling. He had just about read every book he owned, some of them twice, and wasn’t in the mood for going into the city just to waste money on stuff he didn’t need. In a few days from now, he would have his next appointment with the doctor his company hand sent him to. Maybe then he could ask if he could have some work sent to him to keep him busy.

“I really must be a workaholic” Joonmyun mutters to himself. Sighing and ready to give up for the day, he’s pleasantly surprised when his phone begins to ring and finds that it’s Yixing calling him. He doesn’t even get the chance to say anything, however, as when he answers the phone Yixing immediately cuts him off with one long whine.

“Joonmyun, I’ve really screwed up this time”


And with that, the final of the rewrite chapters are complete! 

This was also where I left it off in the original write through and then kinds forgot about it... oops... but we're not letting that happen this time! No way! I have a couple of new chapters written up which will be with you in the coming days and I really hope you enjoy them! 

How are you finding this so far? Especially with the rewrites? Does it flow better than it did originally? I just want to know so that I know you're all enjoying it. 

Until the next chapter!!