Chapter 9

What a Beautiful Mess This Is
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kyungsoo’s hanging out at the breakroom, a cup of steaming coffee nursed between his hands as he chats quietly with Jongdae, when the door bursts open, shattering the calm space. Their heads snap automatically in that direction and Baekhyun dashes in and looking to and fro before spotting them. Then he runs to them, bumping a few people along the way as he shamelessly screams, “Gimme! Gimme!” holding out his grabby hands. Kyungsoo glares at him and continues to do so as Baekhyun reaches them and hurriedly takes a seat next to him. Jongdae just wordlessly eats his sandwich as he watches the two, has learned for years that this is the safest course of action when these two boneheads are being exceptionally weird.

 

“Gimme! Show me! Show me! I wanna see!” Baekhyun shouts right in Kyungsoo’s face, bouncing eagerly in his seat.

 

He wipes imaginary spit off his face and says, annoyed, “Calm the hell down. Geez.” Kyungsoo reaches for his pocket and takes out his phone, handing it over to him. But before Baekhyun could take his phone, he withdraws it at the last second so the other grasps air instead. “Only on one condition.”

 

Baekhyun frowns but nods his head. “I’ll delete the video once you’re done watching. Deal?”

 

“It’s a video?!” He looks at Kyungsoo and his face drops. “Ugh. Fine. Fine! But after five replays.”

 

“No.” Baekhyun pouts at that.

 

“How long is the video though?”

 

“Seven seconds I think? I haven’t watched it.”

 

“And you’re content on letting me watch it for just one time? I know you’re not that heartless, ‘soo. C’moooon. Pleeease.”

 

Kyungsoo just sips at his coffee, unconcerned at the way Baekhyun looks at him with puppy eyes.

 

“Three times! Let me watch it for three times and… and I’ll treat you to coffee for the entire week!”

 

Kyungsoo perks up because it sounds like a solid trade-off, his huge coffee addiction considering. Baekhyun sees him falter and singsongs, “I’ll throw in a box of those donuts you like so much.”

 

“Sold!” Kyungsoo yells and hands over his phone. Baekhyun shouts triumphantly as he unlocks the phone (How in the heck does he know my passcode?,  Kyungsoo thinks, bewildered) and navigates through to find the video. He’s already smiling when he finds it and presses the play button a little too forcefully. Jongin appears on screen, sans his shirt, and he’s sweaty and all sorts of attractive as Kyungsoo remembered. Baekhyun has his mouth hanging open as he watches and it ends almost too quickly as it begun so he plays it again.

 

“Damn” they hear someone say from behind so they look up and Kyungsoo’s eyes widen in horror to find Joonmyeon and Yixing standing behind them.

 

“Who is this hottie?” Yixing asks and Joonmyeon doesn’t even look the slightest bit offended. Baekhyun smiles wickedly and gives him the phone before Kyungsoo can grab it from him. The couple moves away from them and replays the video and Kyungsoo panics because he never meant for anyone other than Baekhyun to see it.

 

“Hey give me back my phone!” he shouts, trying to sound threatening but they pretend not to hear.

 

“I’m asking again, who is this? He’s really pretty,” Yixing says and takes the seat Joonmyeon offers, giving him a loving smile, before the latter sits down beside him. Jongdae signals at them for the phone so they pass it on and Kyungsoo just sits there completely defeated as he also watches the video.

 

“That is Kyungsoo’s cleaning lady,” Baekhyun says, laughing amusedly when Kyungsoo glares at him.

 

“Stop calling him that!” he spits out, and Joonmyeon and Yixing snicker at him so he gives him equal glares as well.

 

“Did you by any chance save Korea in your past life? Because you are one lucky dude. He is so good-looking.”

 

They all turn to Jongdae and the look on their faces make him pull back. “Hey, I am a straight guy who is confident in my uality. And I won’t hesitate to say it out loud when I found someone, guy or girl, objectively attractive. And this guy,” he points to the phone screen where the video is paused to Jongin bending over the couch. “is one really attractive guy.”

 

They all nod their heads, including Kyungsoo, and Jongdae hands him back his phone.

 

Joonmyeon opens the brown paper bag he’d been carrying and shakes the contents out, giving one paper-wrapped sandwich to his boyfriend before unwrapping his own and taking a hefty bite. Yixing reaches over and rubs a thumb to the corner of the other’s mouth to swipe off a splotch of errant mayonnaise. Kyungsoo studies them with open curiosity, noting how easy and spontaneous and selfless they treat each other that a slight pang of jealousy buries itself in his chest, very close to where his heart is.

 

He can’t stop himself from saying, “I swear you two are the sweetest couple.” They both smile at Kyungsoo in answer and he can’t help but smile softly back.

 

Yixing then starts to eat his sandwich but pauses to look at him and says, “So, what is the deal with the whole cleaning lady who is not really a lady but a drop dead gorgeous hunk of man moving  your furniture all hot and sweaty without a shirt on?” all in one breath and Junmyeon chokes on his sandwich. Jongdae sniggers and gives him his water which he gratefully accepts, immediately downing a few gulps as Yixing rubs his back in comfort.  Baekhyun just straight out laughs while Kyungsoo sits and stares at Yixing who is eagerly waiting for an answer.

 

“Well, uhm, obviously he isn’t a lady. He is, as you said and I quote, a drop dead gorgeous hunk of man, and he comes over to clean my apartment every Saturday. That… that’s basically it.” He remembers one more thing and adds in  a hurry, “He was shirtless for no other reason than it was hot in the apartment.”

 

“I’ll say it again. You are lucky as hell landing him as your personal cleaning la-- person, cleaning fella.” Jongdae remarks.

 

“You kinda look cute together, ‘soo. Is he single? You should ask him out.” Joonmyeon chimes in and Yixing nods excitedly at the idea.

 

Kyungsoo grows agitated at suddenly being into the hot seat and stutters in reply, “I.. I’m uh… I can’t just… it’s not that easy…” Baekhyun, in an attempt to take some heat off, butts in, “He’s working on it okay. So cut the guy some slack. He’s taking the slow but sure route.”

 

Kyungsoo heaves a huge sigh of relief and looks at Baekhyun to say a small thank you but he’s met with the same wicked smile from a few moments ago.

 

“What’re you smiling like that for?”

 

“You still owe me my one additional view. I haven’t finished watching the video so you can’t delete it just yet. A deal is a deal ‘soo.”

 

Kyungsoo groans because Baekhyun’s right so he regrettably gives him his phone. He squeals as he takes it and before he presses the play button, the others crowd around him for one final viewing. Once it finishes, Baekhyun gives him the phone back and they all stare sharply at Kyungsoo and Junmyeon says what they’re collectively thinking.

 

“Man Kyungsoo, get a move on and snag this hot piece of before anyone else does!”

 

“I-I’ll try?” he answers, stunned, then frowns at Joonmyeon. “And he’s not just a hot piece of okay. He’s really nice... and thoughtful, and he’s never once complained about cleaning my dump of an apartment.” He drops his eyes to his mug of now cold coffee and his throat feels particularly dry so he takes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter