be

Game Changer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

    The following weeks passed and the group became even better friends, no longer worried about passing judgements on one another and now feeling more open talking about their personal lives. Even Yejin opened up to Youngae and Jinyoung of her parent’s divorce, to which they sympathized and let her know everything would be okay. When it came to school, Yejin took up tutoring Jackson due to him pestering her multiple times about it, and the boy used the time in a different way.

 

    “Youngji is so annoying, she won’t leave me alone,” the boy said as he sat with the girl in a local library on a Saturday morning in March. Yejin pulled out her textbooks and braced herself for another therapy session with Jackson about his bride to be.

 

    “What’d she do this time,” the girl said, only half listening as she unlocked her phone and checked her homework schedule.

 

    “She still showed up to my match last night, even when I told her not to. Plus she made me drive her home when really she wanted to come to my house,” Jackson whined as he sat and watched his friend sort through her things. Yejin let out an uh-huh and flipped through the math book to where she guessed his class was at. She had picked up on the delayed pattern of difference between the work her class did and what his class was assigned.

 

    “You’re not even listening,” Jackson complained as he finally grabbed his own bag and pulled out a messy notebook and dirty textbook with several folded sheets peeking through the pages.

 

    “I totally am. Youngji is being awful because she wants to be around you and get to know you better. How horrifying,” Yejin jested as she marked down the problems she would have him work through.

 

    “I just wish she would give me some space. She even sits with us at lunch everyday now, and her laugh is so scary,” Jackson said, recalling how the red haired girl doesn’t giggle cutely, but instead opens like a wild animal and squints her eyes, not emitting any sound every time she finds something funny. He had her there. Youngji was a bit weird. But that’s what made her lovable, right?

 

    “At least she doesn’t eat like a toddler and throw a fit whenever something doesn’t go her way. Youngji is really nice and fun to be around, I feel bad that she’s forced to spend the rest of her life with you,” Yejin said, defending her new friend and trying to knock some sense into her old one. Jackson let out a huff as he leaned over and checked the page number her textbook was opened to. They started their actual study session and not even fifteen minutes in Jackson’s phone blared, alerting everyone in the library that someone was calling him. He quickly pulled the device from his pocket as everyone turned to look at him with mild scowls on their face. The boy looked at the display and rolled his eyes before hitting accept and walking away to take the call. Yejin continued her work when half a problem later, the boy returned and grabbed her by the wrist, dragging her outside of the quiet area.

 

    “Can you please make her leave me alone,” Jackson pouted as he handed Yejin his phone. The girl took the hint as she grabbed the device and put it beside her ear.

 

    “Hey Youngji,” Yejin said into the receiver. “Yeah, we’re studying right now,” she said. The other girl’s voice was noticeably brighter even as the sound was muffled through the phone. “Sure, I’ll text Youngjae and all four of us can go together,” she said and Jackson cocked a brow at what the girls were talking about. “Okay, see you,” Yejin finished and ended the call. She handed the device back to it’s owner before speaking.

 

    “Your girlfriend is treating us to lunch. Let’s hurry up and finish, alright?” Yejin said more as a statement rather than a question.

 

    “I told you to make her leave me alone, not set us up on a double date,” Jackson said with a bit of annoyance. Yejin shrugged as she turned and started back towards their table. An hour later, after getting a confirmation text from Youngjae and Youngji’s emoji filled message letting her know which cafe to go to, all four of them sat in a booth by the window at a ramen shop.

 

    “I know you like noodles,” Youngji said with a bright smile as Jackson approached her, taking the seat across from her next rather than beside her. The boy rolled his eyes and Yejin smacked his shoulder as she slid in next to him. An awkward moment passed until she looked at the entrance and spotted Youngjae as he walked in the shop. The lunch passed with three of them happily chattering and joking as the lone Wang sat and wished to be anywhere but there.  Regardless of how many times the others tried to incorporate him into the conversation, Jackson remained stubborn and silent as he messily slurped up his food. After they finished eating, the boy beside Yejin was still wearing some sauce on his face. Youngji noticed this and grabbed a napkin, leaning over the table to wipe it for him. The boy was caught off guard and the girl’s hand grazed his face, resulting in a blush from the boy that he tried to quickly coughed away, hoping no one would notice. Yejin turned to watch the interaction and smiled as she saw the two have a little moment. Once Youngji sat back down, Yejin made eye contact with her and gave her a little thumbs up, to which the red haired girl beamed even brighter and gave a small nod.

 

    Yejin and Youngjae had gone months without ever officially establishing their relationship. Jackson and Youngji were just the opposite. After that Saturday lunch in March, Jackson warmed up tremendously to the girl and the two became inseparable. When Youngji took Jackson on a trip to Jeju for his birthday, the pair came back and happily announced they were a couple. Months passed and the group continued their schoolwork and sports activities, still making time on weekends and after school to play around and enjoy their last moments of high school. It was Yejin’s August birthday that fell in the middle of their two week semester break that finally caused a shift in her relationship with her “friend”.

 

    “Can I come over later?” Youngjae asked as he talked with Yejin on the phone. It was the eve of her special day and she had planned to spend the time with her friends in a park downtown.

 

    “Sure, what time?” Yejin said as she clicked around a tv network site, skimming for a drama that sounded interesting to watch. A moment of silence passed and a sigh could be heard from the other end of the line. The girl shifted her attention back to the conversation as she sat up and readjusted the phone beside her ear. “What’s wrong?” she asked.

 

    “Yejin, I,” Youngjae started but his voice cut off. Yejin pulled her phone from her fac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter