Serenade

Night Confessions

The day could have been a lot worse, Baekhyun thinks as he changes from his constricting black skinny jeans and slim fit shirt. He sighs in relief as the clothes come off him and lets his worn body relax as the cool air of his dorm surrounds him.

 

Waking up at six in the morning to get to his morning shift as a waiter at a breakfast diner sounded like a simple task when he had first started the job as a part time summer job. But now that school was back in session and he was still in desperate need of money, Baekhyun found himself trying to balance the rough schoolwork of a business major in his third year and the stress of dealing with sleep deprived customers at the diner.

 

He lay down on his bed in just his underwear and let his eyelids flutter closed for a second. He could feel his feet throbbing from standing and running up and down without break for the entire day. Baekhyun tries not to dwell on the fact that this was his daily life now—at least until graduation--and that it would be best to get used to it. He groans loudly at the thought of future days of suffering with swollen feet and aching arms from carrying steaming hot plates, bloodshot eyes from studying late into the night for upcoming exams and a never ending headache for having to deal with it all.

 

He stands to take a shower, slightly wincing from the weight of his own body on his exhausted feet. Baekhyun lets the hot water seep onto his back as he leans his head on the wall and once again briefly closes his eyes. Baekhyun has never felt so tired before in his entire life and he swears he could fall asleep standing up if it weren't for the constant scream of his feet to go lay down in bed and just let them rest.

 

Baekhyun quickly washes his hair and cleans his armpits and face before turning the water off and stepping back out into his room. Around five months ago, Baekhyun would have taken longer in the shower, make it his own personal stage and sing with no shame. He would twirl around and make a mohawk with the shampoo in his hair and throw bubbles in the air from his body wash. But that was back when he didn't feel like a zombie almost everyday. Now, he just washed what was necessary after a long day and got out to sleep like the dead.

 

It wasn't all bad though, Baekhyun thinks as he slips on a loose shirt to sleep in. At least he had Chanyeol. He looks down and notices that he's wearing Chanyeol's shirt they had both bought some time ago at a music festival. Baekhyun smiles at the memory. Chanyeol must have forgotten it along with all the other socks and sweaters he usually brings when he sleeps over at Baekhyun's dorm room. (Chanyeol claims it has better air conditioner than his own dorm and that he gets too warm at night. Baekhyun secretly likes to think Chanyeol just likes to cuddle under the same blanket.)

 

Baekhyun thinks fondly of when they had bought the black shirts with a single guitar on the front and countless of band names on the back. Chanyeol had cornered him after work and practically shoved two tickets onto his face to some rock musical festival only a thirty minute drive away from town. Chanyeol had grinned maniacally at him because he knew Baekhyun had wanted to go but couldn't afford to buy the tickets. Baekhyun had stuttered so horribly that he couldn't possibly take them, his face incredibly red at the possibility of this being a date.

 

Only it couldn't. Because they were best friends and the festival had been a fun, friendly outing and that was it. Chanyeol knew that Baekhyun was tired and grumpy for the way his early twenties were treating him and had been kind enough to let him let loose and forget all the tyness for a least a night. It was his duty as his best friend and Baekhyun was grateful, really. It just stung a bit when he realized that it would never get to be more than that. But as hard as it was to swallow down feelings of affection for his best friend, Baekhyun didn't find it impossible. He could live with his best friend by his side, his one sided crush wasn't unbearable, and that was enough.

 

Baekhyun had spotted the merch stand at the festival and hauled Chanyeol towards it. Baekhyun remembers saying he wanted some type of lasting memory for his one night of freedom and Chanyeol laughing. “You're just using me for my money,” Chanyeol had said back then with a pout that Baekhyun had always been weak to. Baekhyun had quickly picked up a shirt without looking and shoved it onto Chanyeol's face to hide the pout that he wanted to kiss away. Chanyeol had misunderstood that Baekhyun wanted the shirt and gave it to the bored looking teen behind the register with bright green hair and paid for it without any further comment.

 

“Would that be all?” the teen had asked. Chanyeol smiled charmingly and shook his head no. He leaned over to the pile of identical shirts and grabbed a slightly bigger one and gave it to the teen. Baekhyun had given him a questioning look and Chanyeol had simply replied, “So we can match. Kind of like couple shirts, yeah?”

 

Baekhyun had never felt happier than he had that night.

 

After that, moments with Chanyeol became a lot more intimate. Well, at least to Baekhyun they did. When they would walk down the street to get some food, Chanyeol would always put an arm around his shoulders or take his hand in his. He would lay his head on Baekhyun's lap when they would watch movies on the sofa and would always sip from Baekhyun's drink despite not doing that with other people because Chanyeol was weird about germs like that. Chanyeol even bought him one of those foot spas for his swollen feet because Baekhyun had almost cried about the pain one day after a particularly long shift. Chanyeol had acted so casual about everything, not knowing that every action would send Baekhyun's heart into overdrive.

 

Baekhyun had wished and dreamed that those were all the signs of Chanyeol possibly liking him back, but he didn't want to raise his hopes only for them to be deflated later on. He had learned the hard way that having expectations was essentially the main reason behind disappointment and that was the last thing he wanted to feel towards Chanyeol. He cared about him too much for that.

 

Baekhyun let himself fall on his bed ungraciously with a loud umf muffled by his pillow. He gathered two tall pillows, laying them at the foot of his bed. He raised his legs and gently placed his two battered feet on top—something that Chanyeol had suggested, saying that the blood would come rushing back and the throbbing would ease. Baekhyun smiles again. Even if everything was tiring and pretty horrible, at the very least, Chanyeol was the one thing that kept him from banging his head on a wall or break down crying. Even if they were only best friends, he was happy.

 

Baekhyun feels the drowsiness hit him almost immediately after turning off his lamp by the bed and groans softly at the feeling of the cool sheets on his body and the fluff of the pillow under his head. Hmm, maybe he should take a trip down memory lane more often if it meant a nice slumber like this one.

 

~

 

Tap.

 

Tap.

 

Tap.

 

Baekhyun groggily wakes to the sound of light tapping at his balcony door. He glances at his clock in a still half asleep state and reads 3:24 AM. “What the ,” he groans as he crashes his head back onto the pillow. He decides to ignore the tapping and go back to sleep because the next day would be his first day off in a long time and he really wanted to have energy to go out and do stuff with Chanyeol instead of staying in all day. Sleep comes back surprisingly fast.

 

But only for a few seconds.

 

The sound of a guitar connected to an amp rings outside, loud and energetic. Baekhyun scrunches his eyebrows at the sound, not really believing he heard it at all. Maybe he dreamed it, but it did sound incredibly real. Just when he is about to ignore that too because he is too ing tired to stand up and check on what that could have possibly been, he hears it again but this time the guitar is accompanied by a drum, a saxophone and a keyboard playing a jazzy sounding tune. While the sound is nice and everything, lovely really, it is too loud and it is three in the ing morning and Baekhyun has plans tomorrow damn it.

 

 

He sighs loudly and opens his eyes as sleep completely leaves him. He turns on his lamp and stands on his feet, no longer incredibly swollen but still uncomfortable to stand on, and makes his way over to his balcony, a string of curses and profanities already threatening to spill from his mouth at whoever the heck thought a concert outside the dorms at this hour was a good idea. He slams his balcony door open and is about to yell bloody murder when he hears a deep, honey like voice singing along to the tune of the instruments. It was a beautiful voice, laced with such a rich vibe of musicality that blended well with the slow jam that the guitar brought out. Baekhyun would recognize that voice anywhere, even if he had never heard it singing before.

 

He looks down from his balcony to find a sight that had his heart practically leaping out of his chest and had his face turn unbelievably red. It was Chanyeol, dressed in those pants that Baekhyun really loved because they showed off his amazing long legs and a white v neck that let his collar bones peek out and his hair was pushed back and he was playing the guitar and was singing into a microphone and oh god, how is someone that good looking? Their friend Jongdae stood next to him with a single snare drum, lightly tapping a moving beat that complemented the jazzy tune of the saxophone played by another friend of theirs, Jongin. Yixing stood on the far left as he played the keyboard and complemented the beat of the song along with Jongdae's light taps.

 

Chanyeol looked up at Baekhyun with a wide grin that showed off his perfect row of teeth that made Baekhyun want to faint from just looking at.

 

“Hey, Baek,” he said through the mic with a nod of his head, the three other instruments continued along with Chanyeol's gentle guitar playing but he had stopped singing. Baekhyun waved shyly, totally mortified and confused on what the hell was going on. He had totally forgotten that he was livid not even ten seconds ago and all he could think about was this beautiful boy outside his balcony singing to him in the middle of the night.

 

“I don't want you to freak out or anything,” Chanyeol said in a slightly nervous tone. His voice rang throughout the entire parking lot of the dorms, deeper and richer because of its sudden amplification. The background music seemed fitting even if he was only talking now. “But I came to this realization,” Chanyeol continues, “That was so strong and uplifting that I just had to act on it,” he said with a small shy smile. He looked into Baekhyun's eyes, an expectant expression on his face that made Baekhyun grip the balcony's iron banister so tightly his knuckles turned white.

 

Baekhyun had difficulty swallowing his own saliva, “Well what was it?” he somehow managed to croak out after a few seconds of drowning in Chanyeol's gaze. He didn't think he had said it loud enough for the other to hear all the way to three floors down but Chanyeol's triumphant smile was proof that he had heard.

 

“Baekhyun, I...” Chanyeol broke eye contact for a few fleeting moments and took time to take a few deep breaths. The light guitar strumming came to a stop as Chanyeol recollected himself, but Jongdae, Jongin and Yixing continued, completely unfazed. Baekhyun wondered with a racing heart what it was that his best friend was so nervous to tell him, and with a musical quartet at that. Chanyeol looked up again and Baekhyun noticed with a little shock that a slight blush had crept upon the other's cheeks.

 

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol started again. It was now Baekhyun's turn to give the expectant expression, waiting with a death grip on the banister and his heart on his throat for whatever it was that Chanyeol wanted to tell him.

 

“I woke up this morning listening to a love song,” he said as he brought his hands back to playing the slow tune on his guitar, “The lyrics talked about being so deeply in love that he saw the other as an angel.” Chanyeol looked back up at Baekhyun and bravely maintained eye contact with him. “And then suddenly, just like that,” he lifted one of his hands and snapped his fingers, “I thought of you.”

 

Baekhyun could feel his stomach going crazy with a swirl of emotional butterflies and his knees almost threatened to give out on him. His hands were incredibly clammy and sweaty and his grip on the banister was really starting to hurt right now but he couldn't afford to let go because he feels like he'll collapse at any given second. Baekhyun feels his entire face, his ears, his own chest go warm and he fears his heart is beating so loud that it'll overcome the sound of the instruments below and reveal itself to Chanyeol and his friends. God, he's so breathless and his eyes are probably open as wide as they go and he's definitely sporting the stupidest face ever but what else was he supposed to do when the only man Baekhyun has ever cared too much about is telling him he thinks about him when he hears love songs?

 

Unfortunately for Baekhyun's heart, Chanyeol isn't finished.

 

"Baekhyun, I think you're beautiful. And not in a girly way or anything,” he adds quickly with a small chuckle. “Whenever you smile, my heart does this funny thing where it forgets to keep beating. When you laugh at stupid things with me, god, you're just breathtaking,” he says with a fond expression. “I thought you were so brave and handsome and manly when you punched that guy at the bar that threw his drink at my face,” he laughs out. Baekhyun feels himself relax a bit at the memory and fights down a eating grin threatening to appear. “And when I woke up next to you the other day, I looked at you and thought how great it would be to wake up every day for the rest of my life with your face squished into my chest,” he says with a wavering voice. Baekhyun himself feels his hands begin to shake.

 

“Byun Baekhyun, I think you're perfect in every single way,” Chanyeol says after clearing his throat. “Your voice is so enchanting,” So is yours, Baekhyun thinks. “Your eyes, I would drown in them all day if I could. I want to hug you so badly every time I see you but I would probably never want to let go. I want to always hold your hand and cuddle with you on the sofa while we watch horror movies, just so you can be scared at night and hug me while we sleep. I want to be next to you when you're laughing and when you're crying. I want to speak on the phone for hours on end about everything and nothing all at once. I want to sing karaoke with you so loud the neighbors come banging on our door and complain about the noise. I want to travel the world with you. I want to bake cookies and then laugh because we burned them all. I even want to massage your feet and listen to your problems all night until you fall asleep. I want to do everything with you, Baek. ”

 

The same goes for me, you idiot.

 

Baekhyun doesn't even notice he's tearing up a little bit until he blinks and feels a single drop fall down his cheek. God, if this is a dream, please let me never wake up.

 

“I guess what I'm trying to say is that you're my angel, Baek. You always were, but I'm so slow and dumb that I only realized this today. You are everything I ever wanted and everything I can only hope I would be lucky to have. I don't know if I made any sense but I hope this song shows you my feelings clearly,” he says as he looks towards the other three musicians and nods.

 

The music changes into another beat, a little bit more accelerated than the other one had been. But the steady rhythm and playful beat give the song a nice, retro feel. Just when Baekhyun is about to start identifying the track, Chanyeol starts singing his way deeper into Baekhyun's heart and soul.

 

Earth angel, earth angel.

Will you be mine?

My darling dear, love you all the time

I'm just a fool

A fool in love

With you.

 

Earth angel, earth angel.

The one I adore

Love you forever

and evermore.

I'm just a fool, a fool in love

with you.

 

I fell for you and I knew

The vision of your love, loveliness

I hope and I pray

that someday

I'll be the vision of your hap, happiness

 

The song wasn't even over and Chanyeol kept looking at Baekhyun with such a dazzled expression as if he was the one being swept off his feet and not the other way around. As if he was the one head over heels over his best friend and confessing it in the cheesiest way possible was the most important thing to do. Baekhyun feels like this is a dream he would be happy to be in forever, even if his feet are killing him. Unable to take it any longer, Baekhyun quickly turns around and dashes for the door. Baekhyun sprints down the steps as fast as his feet can take him, screaming in protest because he hadn't even bothered with slippers or even socks, but he doesn't care right now. He just wants to get down to the floor and hug Chanyeol and simply bask in the beauty of this amazing dream he's having because this couldn't possibly be real.

 

He finally gets to the first floor and runs outside to the parking lot where the quartet was previously at. The music has stopped now, much to Baekhyun's dismay—the song was really nice—and he stops in front of a bewildered looking Chanyeol staring at him with a nervous and forced smile.

 

“Hi,” Baekhyun manages to say while catching his breath from the sudden sprint.

 

“I thought you left,” Chanyeol says with a quiet voice, which was so weird to hear from him because Chanyeol was anything but quiet.

 

“Of course not,” Baekhyun replied softly. He walked closer to Chanyeol and stopped only a few steps away from him.

 

“Chanyeol, what--” Baekhyun had begin to ask what exactly Chanyeol had meant with his sudden speech, his sudden confession that he thinks Baekhyun is an angel and that he thinks about him during love songs, his beautiful song that he serenaded him with. Baekhyun knows what they all imply, they can really only mean one thing, but he wants to hear it, he wants it to be real so badly.

 

Chanyeol interrupts him before Baekhyun could get out another word.

 

“I'm in love with you.”

 

It feels like a bucket of cold water had been dumped on his head while simultaneously shocking him with some electricity current. It runs throughout his entire body and he shivers as he feels the goosebumps form on his arms. His heart flutters and the out of breath and shaky condition he was in previously doesn't feel like it had minutes before. Before, he had been nervous and unbelieving but now, his body hummed with excitement and happiness because the person he loved actually loved him back. Baekhyun wanted to celebrate and jump and scream in the air that life was good. He wanted to go to church and cry and tell everyone that miracles do happen. He wanted to buy the world's largest cake and lay down with a bunch of puppies and pet them while stuffing his face with Chanyeol as they watch cartoons with their pajamas on. Baekhyun wanted to write a book about how great love makes people feel and that's saying something because Baekhyun really hates writing. Baekhyun wanted to do a lot of things, but right now all he really wanted to do was hug Chanyeol.

 

He slowly took the last remaining steps between them and stopped only a few inches in front of his best friend. Being this close to the object of his affections forced him to pinch his thigh really hard to convince himself this was a reality. He winced at the pain and knew that it would probably bruise by tomorrow but was reassured from the throbbing patch of skin that this was real and not some figment of his hopeless romantic imagination. Chanyeol remained in his spot with an increasingly growing nervous expression, looking almost scared of Baekhyun's looming presence.

 

“Please, say something,” Chanyeol whispered as he looked down at the other. His voice sounded strained and terribly insecure. Baekhyun didn't like it.

 

Baekhyun closed the remaining distance between them while wrapping his arms around Chanyeol's neck and bringing him in for a warm embrace. It was a slightly awkward position what with Baekhyun having to slightly tiptoe to actually reach and Chanyeol having been forced to crouch a bit from the sudden pull, but it was warm and made Baekhyun's head all fuzzy and it was just really great. He rested his head in the crook of the taller's neck and inhaled the other's scent in a deep, shaky breath. Chanyeol stood frozen and rigid under Baekhyun's embrace, not really sure what the heck was happening but not about to push the shorter boy away because he felt so soft and great and his breath on his neck sent shivers down his spine.

 

Baekhyun tightened his hold and buried his nose further into Chanyeol's collar bones, hoping that the other would wake up from his stupor and just hold him back. After a few fleeting seconds Chanyeol finally relaxed into the hold and slowly wound his arms around Baekhyun's waist, squeezing him so tightly that it kind of hurt but it was okay because it felt right and finally, finally, Baekhyun felt his heart at ease. He was holding his love and it felt so good, so wonderful to be held back.

 

Baekhyun silently enjoyed their embrace for just another magical moment before lifting his head and staring into those dark brown eyes that had somehow cast him under a spell. “Chanyeol, you idiot,” Baekhyun said with a small smile. He suddenly felt like crying, really bawling and sobbing and just burying his face back onto Chanyeol's chest and hugging him until the end of time because he was so overwhelmed with all these feelings and Baekhyun didn't really know how to deal with them.

 

“What's wrong?” Chanyeol said in a worried tone as he took Baekhyun's face in his hands and rubbed his thumbs across Baekhyun's cheeks in a comforting circle pattern. Baekhyun's leaned into the touch and closed his eyes momentarily, “Chanyeol,” he started, “I have always, always, cared about you,” he said as he opened his eyes and looked back at his best friend's face.

 

Chanyeol somehow fought to keep any expression off his face as he readied himself for the inevitable but. Funny how a single word, three letters worth, could change such a beautiful sentence into ultimate heartbreak. Chanyeol didn't know how he would handle rejection, especially from his own best friend, but all the feelings that he had harbored for Baekhyun were suddenly so intense this morning and he felt like he would drown in them if he didn't let them out. He had asked his friends Jongdae, Jongin and Yixing to help him perform in the middle of the night because if he didn't do it that very day he feared he would never do it. Chanyeol had thought about the consequences of having an unrequited love towards his best friend. Worst case scenario: Baekhyun would stop talking to him and their friendship would eventually die. However, Chanyeol knows that Baekhyun is too nice for his own good, that his heart is much too big for his little body, and that he would probably still remain his best friend despite not having romantic feelings for him. And, strangely enough, Chanyeol was at peace with that thought if it meant that Baekhyun would still be by his side, even if it was just as a friend. He didn't care if he was rejected, sure it would hurt, but he thinks the pain of forever losing Baekhyun would hurt even more. So he closes his eyes and prepares his heart for the unavoidable rejection from the man he loves.

 

“Chanyeol, look at me,” Baekhyun softly says while wrapping his hands around Chanyeol's wrists that are still holding Baekhyun's face upright. Chanyeol doesn't really want to open his eyes but Baekhyun had asked so nicely and he really wants to see the beautiful man in front of him. He opens his eyes and feels his heart beating so erratically fast in his chest and suddenly he can't breath because Baekhyun looks so magnificent with his pink cheeks burning in the night light, his brown eyes are shining and even though his eyebags are pretty severe, Chanyeol could care less because he's sending him that amazing smile that he swears could kill cancer or something.

 

Yup, I'm definitely in love with him, Chanyeol confirms in his mind, reinforcing the guard around his heart because man, maybe he underestimated how much it would hurt to get rejected by this...earth angel.

 

“Thank you so much for what you said today,” Baekhyun continues with that blinding smile, “I was, am, so happy to hear that you feel that way about me.” he continues.

 

Wait what? Chanyeol can practically hear his heart thrumming in his ears.

 

Baekhyun eyes well up and he blinks non stop and soon the tears are running down his cheeks but he is still smiling and it really is such a strange sight for Chanyeol.

 

“Baekhyun, what--”

 

“You are so slow. Everything you said to me just now, all the things you want to do with me, I want to do with you too. I have been waking up next to you all this time with the exact thought of hoping that it lasts forever,” Baekhyun's voice is wavering and he's sniffling, “Chanyeol, you said I became your angel this morning but you have always been my angel, this whole time it has always been you. I have loved you for a very, very long time Chanyeol.”

 

Chanyeol feels like he might pass out soon.

 

“Thank you for the beautiful song. I loved it, you know? You should sing more often,” Baekhyun adds with a light chuckle. He studies Chanyeol's face for some type of reaction but all he gets is that dumb, wide eyed, stricken look Chanyeol gets when he's really shocked about something.

 

“Y-you love me?!” Chanyeol practically screams. Baekhyun slaps the backside of his head and shushes him, “God, shut up would you?” he says in embarrassment because the other three boys are suddenly whooping and yelling behind them “I knew it!” and “You guys are so gay!” and really loud cooing and sniffling that probably came from a very emotional Yixing. Baekhyun really wants to push them off a cliff—well maybe not Yixing, he's too nice to die just yet.

 

Suddenly, Baekhyun feels his body being lifted into the air—his feet definitely notice—and he realizes Chanyeol is carrying him and they're spinning around together with the taller grinning like an idiot and Baekhyun laughs because this is what pure happiness must feel like.

 

“Baekhyun loves me!!!” Chanyeol yells to no one in particular. Baekhyun hears his next door neighbor Kyungsoo shout from his balcony to shut the hell up and he giggles hysterically. “CHANYEOL LOVES ME!” he screams as loud as he can. He hears the distinct and annoyed claim to “Go eat for all I care!” Chanyeol, in turn, laughs so hard his body is shaking with each deep chuckle escaping his lips and never takes his eyes off Baekhyun's bright smile, relishing in the sound of the other's laughter--the sweetest melody to his ears.

 

Chanyeol puts him down gently and kisses Baekhyun on the cheek out of pure impulse with a loud smack. The act makes both of them blush a dark hue of red but it makes Baekhyun so happy he can't help but send Chanyeol a wide grin to show his approval. Chanyeol smiles out of embarrassment as he takes one of Baekhyun's hands and lifts it up to his lips and lightly pecks it, “Baekhyun,” he looks back into the shorter's eyes and they are so full of raw and pure affection, so different from the hard and stony expression he had before, that Baekhyun suddenly feels like crying again. God, what the heck was up with his tear ducts tonight?

 

“May I have this dance?” Chanyeol asks him with true sincerity.

 

Baekhyun snorts. “With what music, silly?”

 

Suddenly, the steady notes from another song come rushing back to Baekhyun's ears as if on cue. He diverts his gaze behind Chanyeol and sees his three friends back with their instruments in hand, only this time Yixing has the guitar and Jongin has left the saxophone behind and picked up another guitar while Jongdae now holds a tambourine in his hand. Jongin sends him an infuriating knowing smirk while Jongdae shoots him a suggestive wriggle of his eyebrows. Yixing looks like he's been trying hard not to cry and sends him a genuine smile with a nod of his head. Baekhyun chuckles at the absurdity of it all. This night is just full of surprises, isn't it?

 

“I would love that,” Baekhyun says as he turns his attention back to Chanyeol's face. The taller bows and then curtsies like the idiot he is but Baekhyun follows his actions because he's kind of an idiot as well. Instead of taking a proper dancing position—arms around the shoulders and the other with his around the hips—they both settle for hugging each other tightly with Chanyeol resting his chin on top of Baekhyun's head as the other buries his cheek onto his best friend's chest. Chanyeol chuckles lightly when he sees the bare footed state that Baekhyun is currently in and tells him to stand on his shoes so he won't step on any stray sharp rocks in the asphalt, which Baekhyun is only too glad to oblige to. With their current position, they are the closest to each other they have been in their entire lives which makes the both of them sigh in happiness. Baekhyun hears the hard drumming of Chanyeol's heart as he nuzzles his cheek to the other's chest and he smiles because it serves as another reminder that Chanyeol confessing to him is a dream that has come true. God, thank you for this beautiful gift.

 

The music continues behind them, the lull of the guitar and the slow rhythm sending them swaying from side to side. In hindsight, waddling left to right could not possibly be counted as actual dancing—Baekhyun can only imagine what Jongin and Yixing would think—but they just don't have a care in the world for stuff like that at the moment. Baekhyun is just about to think that the moment couldn't possibly be any more perfect than it already is: his best friend/possible love of his life felt the same way about him and he was currently in his arms and there was background music, what more could he possibly want? And then he hears it. The distinct sound of that voice he loved, softly singing just above him.

 

You're mine and we belong together
Yes, we belong together, for eternity

You're mine, your lips belong to me
Yes, they belong to only me, for eternity

You're mine, my baby and you'll always be
I swear by everything I own
You'll always, always be mine

You're mine, and we belong together
Yes, we belong together, for eternity

 

Baekhyun closes his eyes and sighs happily. “Hey, Chanyeol?” he asks as they rock back and forth despite the song having lulled to almost nothing by now. Chanyeol hums, “Yeah?”

 

Baekhyun detaches his cheek from the taller boy's chest and looks straight into his eyes, “Please be my boyfriend?”

 

Chanyeol laughs and kisses the shorter boy's forehead, his lips linger there for a moment before he comes back up and smiles at Baekhyun. “I'd like that, very much.”