Igeon Mwongmi?! (What The Heck is This?!)

SINCE 1765
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

#since1765

 

***

 

Kwon Village Residence

Suburbs of Seoul - Gyeonggi Province

 

At half past twelve, the Kwon family and Kim Taeyeon finished having their brunch. Kwon Jiyong’s grandmother, mother, and sister prepared the lavish meal for their future daughter-in-law. The Kwon women couldn’t be happier to find out how nice and pretty Jiyong’s fiancé was. On top of that, they also liked the fact that she was a singer as well. The ladies thought the coincidence was serendipitous – a romantic twist to The Great Pact.

 

After the meal, Jiyong’s grandmother invited the young lady for tea in their herbal garden. Mama Kwon and Kwon Dami brought out the old family photo albums, and showed Taeyeon all of Jiyong’s childhood photos (mostly the embarrassing ones). Meanwhile, Grandfather Kwon watched the ladies from inside, sitting alone by the window with his tea, looking at them outside. The old man had such a peaceful smile on his face. After six days of fasting, he was now well fed and rested, thanks to the presence of the Heir of Gyeonggi and the Heiress of North Jeolla.

 

“What are you doing?” whispered Kwon Younghwan to his son. They were both at the front door, out of Grandpa Kwon’s earshot. Through the door, they could also see the four ladies having fun under the afternoon sun.

 

“Obeying you. You wanted this dad,” answered Jiyong coolly, amazed at how easily Kim Taeyeon captured the hearts of the most important women in his life.

 

Audrie has met Jiyong’s family endless times in the past. Yet, they’ve never enjoyed themselves in her company the way they were enjoying with Taeyeon, whom they just met ten hours ago. The sound of his grandmother and mother’s laughter were priceless, and the way Taeyeon blushed at their every doting also moved his heart. He just didn’t realize it at that time. Unconsciously, he was beaming to himself seeing the young woman laugh at his humiliating childhood memories.

 

“And you just changed your mind just like that? Something must have happened. You kids are planning something,” suspected Jiyong’s dad, also witnessing the five ladies having the time of their day outside.

 

“Relax dad, I got this. Aren’t you happy that after I introduced Taeyeon to the family last night, the North and the South shook hands and ended the quasi-war this morning? Also, Gramps finally ate and slept. I’m just doing what’s best for our elders and the republic. Daehanminguk manse!” Jiyong cheered, holding up his two hands.

 

But Kwon Jiyong knew he wasn’t about to fool his father. However, he just wouldn’t bow down and confess to him. He felt the back of his head slapped, and his father even did it again, and again.

 

“Ouch dad! Igeon mwongmi?” he protested, soothing his head.

 

“Did you sleep with her?” probed Kwon Younghwan, a little bit angry at the young lad’s nonchalance. He could see through his son’s eyes – he was lying.

 

“What?! NO!” But once again, Jiyong felt a hard slap.

 

“I am confused about all these. Last week, you were so adamant to challenge the pact. Then suddenly, you brought Taeyeon home last night and introduced her to us as your fiance. You had her meet your gran, mom and sister, so explain something to me!”

 

“Sigh. Do you really want to know? If you do, then I can tell you the truth, from start to finish. Just let me know,” Jiyong challenged his dad.

 

“Did you sleep with her? Is she pregnant?” Younghwan was now hissing, afraid that his father would hear him and Jiyong arguing. He pushed him towards the kitchen, away from the rest. “Are you playing us for fools? This is all to temporarily stop your gramps from acting out, isn't it?”

 

Bingo. You are really smart, dad. But Jiyong wouldn’t admit right away. He also knew that his dad would be too moral and righteous to want anything to do with whatever wicked plans he was concocting.

 

“Like I asked before, do you really want to know?”

 

His father hesitated for a bit, then acted as if he was going to slap him again. However, he didn’t, and instead just sighed to calm himself. Jiyong chuckled as he just confirmed that his father really chickened out about being involved.

 

“Here’s all you need to know, dear dad: Taeyeon and I are getting to know each other. I promise you that a Kwon wedding will take place by Lunar New Year.”

 

“You are just delaying what could be your gramps' death,” concluded Kwon Younghwan, now more sternly. “I hope to the gods that you know what you are doing son.”

 

“Best believe, dear old man, or war shall come,” Jiyong answered in the tone mimicking his gramps, and this just earned him the sixth slap on the head from his father.

 

“Idiot. If you are just playing the elders for fools, then best believe the gods will punish you!”

 

“Let’s join the ladies for tea!” shouted Grandpa Kim from the living room window. The father and son ended their conversation and helped the old man walk towards the outdoor tea table.

 

For another hour, Kim Taeyeon spent time with the entire Kwon family, laughing and sharing stories about Jiyong’s childhood. The entire time, Jiyong’s arms were placed at the back of Taeyeon, as if protecting her. Also, from time to time, he held on her hands to show off their intimacy to Jiyong’s family. Afraid to cause a misunderstanding with Grandpa Kwon, Taeyeon just played it out with her dear fiancé. You really want to die, huh, Kwon Jiyong? She couldn’t wait to have him alone, out of earshot, so she could torture him.

 

Finally, at a little over two in the afternoon, it was time to leave. Taeyeon had to excuse herself from dinner because she had a Lion Heart stage to record later that day.

 

“Have a safe drive kids!” yelled out Daddy Kwon after Taeyeon embraced him goodbye. The Kwon family walked out with the couple towards Jiyong’s car parked outside.

 

“It was lovely meeting you, Taeyeon dear,” said Mama Kwon, handing Taeyeon a platter of her homemade rice cake. She kissed her goodbye and added, “I will call your mother so we can coordinate the Ceremony of First Exchange, okay?”

 

“Yes Mama Kwon,” sweetly she answered.

 

Another ceremony, and this time with the whole family? Oh no! She was told that the Ceremony of First Exchange entailed the exchange of gifts and dowry between the Kwons and the Kims. It was also the formal ceremonial affair where the Kwons shall ask for Taeyeon’s hand, and where the Kims shall give Taeyeon to the Kwons.

 

“You don’t know how happy you have made me, Kim Taeyeon. You brought joy into our home, and I am sure you will bring light to our lives,” Grandma Kwon jovially pronounced. She was almost crying, and she embraced the young woman so tight, as if she didn’t want to let go. Taeyeon couldn’t help but be attached to the old lady too, since she doted on her since last night. “You and my grandson shall unite and bless our future.”

 

“You always take care, grandma Kwon. Thank you for the gifts,” Taeyeon kissed her goodbye, holding the traditional fan and handkerchief that the old lady gave her. She then addressed Jiyong’s parents and sister. “Thank you for letting me stay the night, Mama and Dad Kwon. It was my absolute pleasure to meet you both, and you too, Dami.”

 

“It was our pleasure to welcome my brother’s future wife,” Kwon Dami replied, also embracing Taeyeon.

 

Then, Taeyeon kneeled down in front of Grandpa Kwon’s wheelchair, and she held the old man’s hands. “Grandpa Kwon, please eat well and be healthy. Catch up on your sleep too, okay?”

 

“I promise you I will, Kim Taeyeon,” responded Grandpa Kwon, then he kissed her on the forehead. “With The Great Pact back in commencement, I am just at peace that our republic will be saved. Thank you Taeyeon and Jiyong.”

 

“Anything for you gramps. Now enough of the hunger strike,” Jiyong kissed his gramps’ forehead too. “Take care old man. I love you.” Then, it was his turn to bid goodbye to his family. “Bye mom and gran! Love you lots! You too pops and sis!”

 

The family sent them up until they were seated comfortably inside Jiyong’s Lamborghini. Even when Jiyong drove away, Taeyeon saw from the side mirror that each and every one of Jiyong’s family members were still waving goodbye, watching them leave until they disappeared from sight. What a sweet family.

 

“My family loved you very, very, very much. I couldn’t have picked a better fiancé,” commented Jiyong as he drove towards Expressway 8 towards the Metropolitan district.

 

Now that they were alone and out of the Kwon family’s earshot, Taeyeon finally exploded like she never had before. She’d never been so upset, so overwhelmed, so confused and clueless at the same time. For the entire night, and half the day today, she had to pretend like everything was fine, when in truth, she had no idea what kind of story Jiyong plotted for the two of them!

 

Unable to control herself, she began beating every part of Jiyong she could reach, ignoring the fact that he was driving in the freeway.

 

“What. Did. You. Do!” she hit him for every single word she muttered, and the man couldn’t even duck away in fear of driving recklessly.

 

“Aw, aw, aw, aw!” Jiyong whined, eyes still on the road, hands still on the stirring wheel. “What the heck honey?!”

“Mwong mi…? Honey? You dare call me that! You make me sick Kwon Jiyong!” she yelled, still hitting the driver with all her might. She was so distraught she could almost feel the tears of rage coming out.

 

“Aw, stop it! I’m ing driving here!” Jiyong protested, also screaming.

 

“Igeon mwongmi?! WHAT THE FREAKING HECK WAS THAT?!” Taeyeon roared, finally resting from beating up the man. Now, she just wanted answers, because the tears started coming out. God I’m so mad. I’m so ing pissed at him!

 

“Yah, why are you crying like that?” Jiyong wondered, feeling fear crawling inside him. He completely hated the sight of Kim Taeyeon crying, and now he was watching just that. He promised himself he wouldn’t let her cry again, if he could help it. Did I make her cry this time? . You’re a Kwon!

 

“You caught me off guard, introducing me like that to your family!” cried Taeyeon with tears in her eyes. She recalled just how Jiyong put her on the spot last night. She didn’t sleep the whole night, dreading what would happen come the morning. “And worse, you told Grandpa Kwon we are going through the arranged marriage! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?”

 

“I already told you last night we were going to my house! What did you think I meant?”

 

“I thought you were just letting me stay the night! My god, this is one huge weave of lies, isn't it? Why are we even pretending for the elders?” she shouted all her questions, and she was unable to calm herself down. To see the happiness on Grandpa Kwon’s face, and to know that she lied to him… Taeyeon couldn’t bear to live like that. It was like the guilt and shame were bubbling in her stomach, making her choke. “Or are you really intending to marry me? Oh my god… Did you change your mind? Do you want to marry me?”

 

Jiyong saw the woman’s anxiety triple, even quadruple, at the thought of him wanting to marry her. Is it that repulsive to even think of marrying me? He felt a little hurt at Taeyeon’s reaction. But as he stared at her and saw the tears, he grasped that he was in the wrong this time.

 

“I was just pretending,” he coldly assured her. To see that she sighed with relief when he contradicted her assumption caused Jiyong’s stomach to lurch. Why am I feeling like this? “We need to lie to them to get them off our backs while we work on our escape. It's simple, really.”

 

Upon hearing Jiyong casually explaining, Taeyeon’s head ached with more overwhelming apprehension. She shook her head and covered her face, drying the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter