The Request

The Request

Taemin noticed slight changes in Jongin’s behavior around him. Jongin had become more reserved, less affectionate, almost as though he were guarding his emotions from something… or perhaps, someone? Taemin could tell Jongin was doing his best to act as if nothing was wrong but they were best friends for a reason - to Taemin, Jongin was an open book.

 

It wasn’t like Jongin to hold secrets from Taemin. Taemin became more anxious, seeing Jongin casually avoid him as if he wouldn’t notice. At first, he figured the stress of idol life was finally taking a toll on him and Jongin simply didn’t want Taemin to worry.

 

But as time slipped by, it became obvious that wasn’t the case. Taemin sometimes caught Jongin laughing and joking loudly with his EXO members, being his usual self, the way Taemin usually saw him. And yet, as soon as Jongin’s eyes met Taemin’s, he would abruptly stop laughing and quickly drag s in the opposite direction before anyone noticed Taemin was standing there.

 

Taemin audibly let out a sigh of relief when one evening he got a text from Jongin, asking if they could meet at the bench early the next morning. Replying immediately with a confirmation, he laid in bed and drifted off to sleep with leftover ponderings of what Jongin had to talk to him about. Regardless of whatever it was, Taemin was excited to spend time with Jongin again.

 

After twisting and turning in bed all night, Jongin hardly got any sleep. He was too nervous, too jittery to even feel the fatigue that would surely catch up to him later. He saw the gentle rays of the sun slowly peeking out from the horizon outside his window and decided to head out early. Maybe that would settle his nerves.

 

Taemin, on the other hand, couldn’t sleep because of excitement. He ran to the mart as soon as it opened and bought two cartons of banana milk.

 

He saw Jongin’s familiar backside sitting on the bench, facing the river. The sun was slowly making its appearance, radiating its light on Jongin to create a halo effect.

 

Creeping up behind his best friend as quietly as he could, he threw his arms around the younger boy.

 

“Did I scare you?”

“No, I heard you from a mile away.”

 

Taemin sat down on the bench beside Jongin, pouting. But his pout dissolved into a smile as he handed the banana milk to Jongin. “I feel like I haven’t seen you in forever, Jongin. I was so excited when you texted me.”

 

Jongin sighed and put his banana milk beside him, turning to face Taemin.

 

“Taemin, I have something to tell you.”

 

Taemin’s smile faltered. Jongin rarely announced what he had to say. The last time he had to tell him something was when Jongin was going on an Asia tour and wouldn’t be in Korea for months. “Are you leaving for another tour?”

 

Jongin ran his hand through his hair, his expression unreadable. He took another deep breath.

 

“Taemin. I like someone. No, I’m in love with someone.”

 

Stunned momentarily, Taemin could only stare back before his face broke out into a huge smile. “You’re such a punk, you know that? You scared me! I thought you were going to leave again - ”

 

Jongin cut him off before he started to ramble. “No, listen to me. Taemin… I…” He paused, suddenly hesitant. Looking at Taemin’s confused expression made his heart suddenly feel so tight.

 

“Jongin, who is it? You can tell me. I’ll help you out - “

“You.”

 

Taemin stopped mid-sentence.

 

“What?”

 

It was now or never. Jongin, with a renewed determination, looked straight into Taemin’s eyes.

 

“I’m in love with you. I didn’t know how deep it was until my heart started hurting every time I saw you. I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night because you would invade my mind every time I closed my eyes. I would get distracted during dance practices, wishing you were right beside me. But…” He clenched his fists, looking down at the banana milk Taemin got him. “I know you’d never see me that way. I know you like that girl. And it’s obvious she likes you, too. I think you two could make it work.”

 

He let out a bitter chuckle. “Taemin, I tried really hard to deny my feelings for you. I tried to look for someone else who made my heart race like you do. But how can I do that when you’re you?”

 

“Jongin…”

 

“And that’s why I’m going to ask for us to stay away from each other.”

 

Taemin felt his world crashing down.

“Why?” He dared to whisper.

 

“Because it’s too hard to stop when I see you everywhere. How can I keep my feelings for you when I know there isn’t going to be a happy ending?” Blinking back his tears, Jongin continued before his heart completely tore in half. “I don’t want us to meet up until every ounce of my love for you disappears. And it’ll take a while. I care about you a lot and I treasure our friendship more than you know. I don’t want to dirty it or ruin it with something like this so… Taemin, I just… need a break from you. Will you accept my request? Please?”

 

Taemin's eyes flooded with tears. Quickly wiping them away with the back of his hand, he swallowed down the bitterness and simply said, “Okay.”

 

Jongin nodded, stood up, and started to walk away.

 

“You have to come back soon because I’ll miss you too much.” Taemin said out loud to Jongin’s retreating figure. Jongin kept walking as if he didn’t hear Taemin’s words so he wouldn’t have to show him the tears flowing down his face.

 

Taemin felt panic rise as he noticed Jongin didn’t even take his banana milk. He didn’t understand the pangs he felt in his heart. He shook his head in denial. They would still see each other, right? It wasn’t really over…

 

Right?

 

 

- - -

 

A/N:

What will happen to our beloved taekai?!

Thank you for the reviews everyone!