Pet peeves with wolf AUs

Yep. Precisely what the title says. What are your pet peeves with wolf AU stories? I'm currently writing a wolf AU story mostly for fun and as an experiment because the idea is intriguing, so I'm really curious what are the things about the wolf universe that set some people off.
Feel free to share and discuss!
KimJiByung
2 months ago
@Jumpdiva kekekee It's okay, judge away. ;) As Donleavy said, 'The purpose of writing is to make your mother and father drop dead with shame.' I'm sure he didn't mean throw in some mpreg but it happens~ hahahaha XD
WoodlandSparrow 2 months ago
Oh, wait, I do have one pet peeve!!!

Setting your fic in the forest, but the characters do nothing to survive. They wear jeans for some strange reason, and hunt, but that's it. They don't cook, make weapons, search for water, make a place to live or explain why they're nomads, have a culture, nothing. This one does bother me a little
WoodlandSparrow 2 months ago
I can't think of a petpeeve exclusive of wolfau... I guess the stories I've read are so different I can't tell.

But I'll tell you what I love:

1. Fixed pack dynamics. Real wolves can be betas, alphas or omegas, but I love that in abo people are born with their rank, and there's nothing they can do to change it. It brings a lot of angst I love
2. Control/domination based relationships. Omegas and betas Have to submit to the alpha. Or else.
3. Destined mates. It's basically arranged marriage but lazier since you don't need to think of any reason at all to make two people a couple! :D
4. Mpreg. It finally makes sense! (and again, without thinking of any reason at all)
Jumpdiva
2 months ago
@KimJiByung Oh no, please don't tell me that. I'll judge you behind my computer screen. D:
MissMinew
2 months ago
The indirect "alpha is masculine, omega is feminine" misogyny that is so present in Wolf AU. I hate it, I hate how the omega is always pretty and cute and fragile (and the epitome of stereotypical femininity) while the alpha is always strong and handsome and "a manly man" (read: stereotypical masculinity). It bothers me so much. Also - what even are the point of a beta? Right, none. They're just there. That's not funny. People who aren't one or the other. Ugh.
KimJiByung
2 months ago
But I hate when the omegas are always seen as weaklings or the ones that are always targeted. I mean, I get that they're supposed to be submissive and stuff but sometimes, in stories, it just seems like too much. =/ And there's not nearly enough stories about betas either, it's almost always the alphas and omegas, but not betas.
KimJiByung
2 months ago
@Jumpdiva, I'm guilty of the mpreg with wolf!aus XD
Jumpdiva
2 months ago
MPREG. Why? Dude wolves don't knock up dude wolves, so why is this a thing? I hate it.
UknowTheHero 2 months ago
I really love wolf AUs, the dynamic is really interesting. However, if the "mates" concept is part of the AU, the thing that I hate the most is when for some reason X person's (close to one of the mc) relationship/mating failed/ended tragically, so one of the main characters decided that those signs are all doomed to fail, despite having several examples of happy relationships failing. The other thing is the "I won't submit to fate" trope, it's understandable but it's getting really old. I also hate love triangles (cheap and easy way to bring romantic tension), but it's more of a general complain. If you bring an ABO dynamic to it, I guess the whole "let's bully the omega" thing too.